Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Personally I think that bike needs low profile rims....TB14s to be exact. I had a set of wheels built with them for my Frejus and they look perfect on it IMO.

But if you want to just do the one and if the rim is silver.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Open-...HWl6:rk:5:pf:0
This. I wanted a classic-looking box-section rim for my custom Spririt-tubed bike and found the TB-14

Great looking rims that seem to hold up

As an added bonus, they're slightly wider than 'normal' (for when they were designed) so they ride nicely too

M

I have several Campy Omega XL tubular rims if you're interested. ...but IIRC they're 32s
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I believe clinchers shouldn´t even be allowed on Eroica. If it is strict regarding shifting and pedals what´s the point of running anything but tubulars?
Oh, please.

Eroica isn't a cult, it's a wonderful riding experience. There is no official 'cutoff date', no 'era police', they just want you to ride equipment that operates in the manner of pre-modern components. Hence the friction downtube shifting, minimum 32 spoke count, etc.

The first year, I rode a Cinelli frame made in 1990 equipped with early SR. The second year on an 87 Schwinn Voyageur converted to 650b with Mafac centerpulls. Last year on a custom Pelizzoli made in 2016 with Dura Ace 7700. Got lots of complements on each of them from knowledgeable participants, not a bit of shade. The whole equipment thing is often overblown by people who haven't been there; I've found it to be a group of really nice folks who aren't very snobbish as long as you're using friction downtube shifters.

Back to the OP's question, though. TB14's are great in 36 hole, either polished or anodized. Super strong, happy with 32's, keep a true (important on those gnarly rutted gravel hills) and look great.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Mavic gp4 tubular or maybe nisi tubulars or campagnolo tubular, or ambrosio tubular all in dark color.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:44 PM

TB14s have the classic look and are a good rim. I rode a set of MA40’s last year on C Record hubs and this year it will be G40’s on the classic Record hubs.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:22 PM

In the old days....I used Fiamme Red (sturdy) and yellow tubulars. also Mavic GL 280 tub (very fragile), GL 330's tub in 36 (they help up to my 160), GP4's tub (they held up to everyone), and a bunch of the Campy tub and clincher rims. For durability....hard to beat the GP4's in 36 hole....but if me....would get some Campy rims. Believe the Campy rims, clincher and tubular...were made by Ambrosio.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Gios deserves tubulars like a gp4 or a nisi in dark color :P
I was thinking of the NOS Wolbers in my attic...
Old 02-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
While I've wanted to do Eroica for several years, this will be my first. My understanding is that they're not really aggressive about enforcement, some people have used modern tech.

But to your point: isn't the cutoff date ~1987? Clinchers were pretty widely available and used by the early 80s.

That said, cost aside I would prefer to ride tubulars in Eroica just for keeping with the spirit.
I have some NOS Campagnolo Omega tubular rims in 36h, $150 for the pair plus ship.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM
#RYFB

Thanks everyone.

To anyone who has offered up the prospect of parting with rims clogging up their basement/attic/pain cave/whatever, feel free to send me a PM with details in particular price.

To be transparent, though, as appealing as the switch to tubulars is, buying rims, spokes, and tires on top of shipping my hubs to OP and his cost to build then ship is certainly going to be harder on the wallet than just rebuilding the rear with a new clincher rim. So I apologize in advance if I'm not compelled to buy…but I really do like the idea.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 PM

I'd totally get that Open Sport on eBay and get 'er done. As far as authenticity is concerned, I had clinchers on my Bob Jackson when I built it in 1972. I had a set of tubulars also, and swapped as needed. Super Champion rims IIRC.

Is it considered gauche to use bar ends as long as they aren't indexed? That's how my bike was set up. I have the whole Campy kit in a drawer, because the bike wears Shimano 10 speed these days.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Is it considered gauche to use bar ends as long as they aren't indexed? That's how my bike was set up. I have the whole Campy kit in a drawer, because the bike wears Shimano 10 speed these days.
Not gauche at all, bar end shifters are fully in the spirit and I believe many Eroica riders use them.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Those are really good numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have some NOS Campagnolo Omega tubular rims in 36h, $150 for the pair plus ship.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 AM

If nobody’s said it how about Ambrosio?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 AM
Sensuous Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Personally I think that bike needs low profile rims....TB14s to be exact. I had a set of wheels built with them for my Frejus and they look perfect on it IMO.

But if you want to just do the one and if the rim is silver.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Open-...HWl6:rk:5:pf:0
Lets see this Frejus! Please! Pretty Please!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:57 AM

I have black Open Sports but they are 32 hole and can't say I've ever seen one with 36 holes. There are some 36 hole Open Pros on ebay. Would require new spokes as the ERD is off by 4 mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAVIC-OPEN-...frcectupt=true
Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I have black Open Sports but they are 32 hole and can't say I've ever seen one with 36 holes. There are some 36 hole Open Pros on ebay. Would require new spokes as the ERD is off by 4 mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAVIC-OPEN-...frcectupt=true
Used to carry them and Jim might still have some in 36h..

jim@vecchios.com