Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Most memorable act of kindness from a stranger in the cycling community?

Anyone recall an incident with a total stranger in the biking world that reaffirmed their faith in humanity? Or at least in the cycling community? I've got one...

Several years ago, I was looking for a rigid carbon MTB fork for my 29er. I had narrowed it down to a Niner or ENVE fork. I stumbled across a video on which a guy was comparing both forks. Somehow, I managed to get in touch with him, and we spoke for several minutes. He highly recommended the ENVE fork. I told him my concern was that it was replacing a 120mm suspension fork, and I was concerned about geometry.

I'm still shocked and touched by what happened next. He told me he had an almost brand new ENVE fork and asked me for my address. I was a little hesitant, and wondered why he needed my address.

"I'll send it to you," he said.

"Uh...how much," I replied.

"See if you like it and if it fits. If it doesn't, send it back to me. If it does, how about $350?"

I was very skeptical, to say the least. The guy lives in Texas (I'm in California) and he had never met me. And we're talking about a $600 fork. It was akin to believing in the Tooth Fairy.

So, I waited...

A week later, the fork arrived. It was in pristine condition, with the purchase paperwork. And that's not all. It also came with a box of caramels (his family has a candy business) and a company tee-shirt. (The caramels were delicious!) Long story short: the fork fit great, and I sent him the money.

Every once in awhile, I'll find the tee buried beneath a stack of clothes. It really doesn't fit. I'm always tempted to throw it out, but I never do. It reminds me that some of us are more intimately acquainted with the "better angels" of our nature.

Others?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Gino Bartali rescuing nearly 800 people from extermination during World War II is a strong contender.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Gino Bartali rescuing nearly 800 people from extermination during World War II is a strong contender.
That's why "Gino the Pious" is my favorite cyclist. He actually was very reluctant to talk about his heroism.

But I was hoping for first person accounts ... perhaps on a little smaller scale
Old 02-10-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Yep, pretty hard to top that.

The story I like was the guy in a NYC shop (bike messenger IIRC?) who had crashed his bike, talking to the manager about how much it was going to cost to get it repaired. Unbeknownst to the rider, Robin Williams was in the shop and overheard the convo.

Guy came back in to pick up his bike, and asked 'How much' and was told that Robin had picked up the tab for him...

My personal one is a little smaller--Craigslist 'Free Section' had a guy giving away some bike stuff--I picked up a free pair of mtb disk wheels, a restorable MtB frame and a couple of other things, including a cool old metal tool box that I've been storing one of my corded drills in to haul back and forth to job sites. The guy was packing up his residence and leaving the state...

Last edited by paredown; 02-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Riding along the coast highway just north of Santa Cruz, my rear tire developed a large lump under the tread. I had repair stuff with me, but wasn't sure how to deal with the lump. Afraid it would blow out, I started walking. Shortly a cyclist came by and stopped. He removed the tire and tube, and replaced the tube with a new one (which I had). Also installed a energy bar wrapper as a boot. Reinflated the tire with a tiny hand pump. Got me going just fine.

I have often wondered whether this rider was a Paceliner. He was riding a white vintage steel bike. I remember it as a Masi, but maybe I have that part wrong. If you read this and recall the incident, let me know. I regard it as above and beyond (even though I know cyclists often help each other with flats), because this was an unusual and to me somewhat scary problem.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM
commuter racer

Almost five years ago my older brother was horribly killed when coming home from a ride. he was an experienced road racer and an excellent cyclist. His luck just ran out that day when the driver of an SUV didn't see him, and clobbered him head on while making a left turn.
Anyway, my online friends, most of whom I'd never met, were moved by this. They shut down Velocipede Salon for a day and put up a picture of my brother. People from Paceline and Vsalon raised some cash for my Nephew's college fund, and StephenCL amazingly donated all the profit from the sale of his team kits that year to my Nephew. I was incredibly moved by this and so was my dad. Someday I'll tell my nephew about this act of kindness and I'm certain he will be too, as he is such a thoughtful, intelligent person. He's doing much better these days, but he still worries when I go off on a bike ride. I have go as I'm crying all over my Lenovo laptop. So anyway, thanks again everyone.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Almost five years ago my older brother was horribly killed when coming home from a ride. he was an experienced road racer and an excellent cyclist. His luck just ran out that day when the driver of an SUV didn't see him, and clobbered him head on while making a left turn.
Anyway, my online friends, most of whom I'd never met, were moved by this. They shut down Velocipede Salon for a day and put up a picture of my brother. People from Paceline and Vsalon raised some cash for my Nephew's college fund, and StephenCL amazingly donated all the profit from the sale of his team kits that year to my Nephew. I was incredibly moved by this and so was my dad. Someday I'll tell my nephew about this act of kindness and I'm certain he will be too, as he is such a thoughtful, intelligent person. He's doing much better these days, but he still worries when I go off on a bike ride. I have go as I'm crying all over my Lenovo laptop. So anyway, thanks again everyone.
Wow. Geez. This....
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Nice. Thread over AFAIK (at least for me...).
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM

Way back in college, double flatted coming back in from a weekend solo training ride when I was still racing for the college team. A wonderful mother -- whose son raced at Oklahoma -- scooped me up from the local convenience store, threw the bike in the minivan and gave me a lift back to campus.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Summer of 1987 Southern Illinois

In the summer of 1987 I was living in Carbondale, Illinois and was cycling in near a local State Park about 15 miles South of the city. My tire blew, and after several attempts at patching the tube I gave up and started walking home. After about a mile my cleated shoes got too slippery to walk in, so i continued on in my socks, until they got holes in them and then I was just hobbling along the rough pavement.

Along came a sole cyclist (I think his name was John) who tried with me for another 30 minutes to repair the tire, but we couldn’t fix it. He said “wait here, I’ll get my car”, and then he cycled to his home a half hour away and drove his car back and gave me a ride home. We became friends and he introduced me to his other cycling friends who became my cycling friends / friends. His act of kindness always reminds me that as a cyclist, and in life, we are not alone.

For what it’s worth, a lot of the best people I know ride bikes.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Picshooter

I remember that. It made me angry then, and still does to this day.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2019, 03:46 PM

I once helped a cute girl refurbish her bike...she became my wife. Does this count?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Wow. Geez. This....
This is also just a friendly PSA to be careful out there. Never in a million years did I think this would happen. Also, good stories above ^^^ :-)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Wow. Everything in this life fades away but acts of kindness stay forever.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Quote: