Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 05:44 PM

same.

each bike has its place & time.

and thus creates memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
i guess i am fortunate that i do not regret selling any bike that i have owned. i have have some great bikes over the past fifty years but when it comes time to sell you do so. i do not have any regrets even though i have owned some great bikes.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 PM
ZhugeLiang

Forget regret just say you don't mind welcoming them back in the family that's all.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:27 PM

No regrets. Theyre (mostly) just a tool to do a job. That said I have two pegs I'm never selling (to avoid any potential for regret), and I had a custom bike made to commemorate my late mother that broke, but it hangs on the wall in my office now.

Bikes, even nice ones, are to me, mostly utilitarian. I want the experience of riding my bike in far away places with friends more than I want the actual bike.

The way people churn through even custom bikes shows that the chase is often more important to some than cherishing something or even riding. Easy come, easy go. YMMV but that's been my stance for a couple of years.

(I am just now coming around to that idea with kit, which clearly I've had a hoarding problem in recent years)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Retired!

My first love...

It was nothing fancy or expensive. It was a Peugeot I purchased at the Navy Exchange in late 1976 for $155 when I was stationed in San Diego. I put thousands of miles on it, all the while replacing its components with slightly more expensive stuff from a local bike shop.

My tastes eventually evolved to more expensive bikes (Eisentraut Limited) and I sold my trusted Peugeot to a shipmate. Whereas I used to bring it onboard the ship with me after each ride and store it in the athletic gear locker, he would leave it in the salty air on the pier where it was seldom ridden and dying a slow death. I hated to see that happen to it.

Kevin g

Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
What size was your canti Crux? I had one too- Current owner can't give the thing away?
Mine is/was a 54cm.
This was a 56cm, and I know the current owner. He put di2 on it and pulls a kiddie trailer in style!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 PM

I miss my old track bike--I sold it at the urging of our old sponsor to a young guy who wanted to go racing (and I wasn't any more).

Mostly I miss the feeling of flying up the 45 degree bankings at China Creek on a fast change, or dicing in the points races....as close to flying as you can get while on the ground.

(not the actual--but a close facsimile--'cept mine had a smooth Unicanitor, radial spoked front and inch pitch...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frejus.jpg (80.7 KB, 474 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Once a year I try to buy this back. One of these days...
96 Master Olympic
Old 02-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I miss my old track bike--I sold it at the urging of our old sponsor to a young guy who wanted to go racing (and I wasn't any more).

Mostly I miss the feeling of flying up the 45 degree bankings at China Creek on a fast change, or dicing in the points races....as close to flying as you can get while on the ground.

(not the actual--but a close facsimile--'cept mine had a smooth Unicanitor, radial spoked front and inch pitch...)
Frejus track bike. Yeah I’d regret selling that one too.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
No regrets. Theyre (mostly) just a tool to do a job. That said I have two pegs I'm never selling (to avoid any potential for regret), and I had a custom bike made to commemorate my late mother that broke, but it hangs on the wall in my office now.

Bikes, even nice ones, are to me, mostly utilitarian. I want the experience of riding my bike in far away places with friends more than I want the actual bike.

The way people churn through even custom bikes shows that the chase is often more important to some than cherishing something or even riding. Easy come, easy go. YMMV but that's been my stance for a couple of years.

(I am just now coming around to that idea with kit, which clearly I've had a hoarding problem in recent years)
Wow. Nailed it. Captured something profound in a few paragraphs. Chasing the N+1 instead of the memories. Some good food for thought ...
Old 02-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I sold a PDM Concorde in a fit of needing rent money.

Still want that one back.

I saw it at Fiesta Is a few years later. The owner after me beat the snot out of it. Scratches, nastiness, etc. I just about cried right there in the pack

M
Old 02-03-2019, 10:56 AM

I had this heavy duty single speed paper boy bike when I was 17 (so 45-46 years ago). Probably weighed 45 or 50 lbs. Had a huge basket on the front, around two feet wide and 20 inches long. The wheels had motorcycle spokes, 10 or 12 gauge, and the tires were huge and wide, sort of an early fat bike. I often rode that bike off curbs with a load of 70 or 80 Sunday papers in the basket. Once I was watching a flock of birds flying south for the winter--that flock had to include a thousand birds, it went on and on and on--and I just stared up in the air at the flock so long I ran the bike into a car. Bike was totally unaffected. (Probably not true of the car, but I can't remember. Being a stupid teenager, I just got back up and scrammed.) Plus it was painted bright orange. Bike was probably a pig to ride, but I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, because it was just so robust. Perfect for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Head to Ned

Wait, people sell some of their bikes?
I've never sold a single one...
Old 02-03-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlond View Post
I had this heavy duty single speed paper boy bike when I was 17 (so 45-46 years ago). Probably weighed 45 or 50 lbs. Had a huge basket on the front, around two feet wide and 20 inches long. The wheels had motorcycle spokes, 10 or 12 gauge, and the tires were huge and wide, sort of an early fat bike. I often rode that bike off curbs with a load of 70 or 80 Sunday papers in the basket. Once I was watching a flock of birds flying south for the winter--that flock had to include a thousand birds, it went on and on and on--and I just stared up in the air at the flock so long I ran the bike into a car. Bike was totally unaffected. (Probably not true of the car, but I can't remember. Being a stupid teenager, I just got back up and scrammed.) Plus it was painted bright orange. Bike was probably a pig to ride, but I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, because it was just so robust. Perfect for the zombie apocalypse.
Nice story!
Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post

Well, you would need to do some re-creating to bring back China Creek also, however the Burnaby Velodrome is still a gas!
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 PM

I am generally not so attached to bikes (just sold two awesome ones to make space in my house), but I have one that has me attached. I ordered a Speedvagen just weeks before I found out I was becoming a dad and that somehow clinched it for me when I considered selling this bike a few months ago. I am a disc brake guy and the bike is 10yrs old, but I know I would regret selling that bike. It will stay with me for the foreseeable future.

It was fillet brazed entirely by Sacha for a NAHBS, so it is effectively a Vanilla with an ISP and you couldn’t get one of those today...