Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
That's one of the things I'm enjoying about this, finding out which combos really hit it for me. Plus the retro aesthetic doesn't hurt either. I'm also doing a lot more critical listening than I have done in the past.

Speaking of cables, what the heck are these?

W.
Yeah. I have spent a lot of this past year critical listening and looking for challenging material for the system. Pushing its limits is always a great way to find your flaws.

Those cables look like something from MG Audio Design or similar.

Not a fan of flat ribbon. Prefer mine not so wide and in a twisted helix design. Too easy to attract RF interference IIRC with flat cables.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 PM

We have a trumpet, a flute, a few ukulele, a couple acoustic guitars, a cello, and all the kids sing. Creates a pretty involving musical experience at home.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
We have a trumpet, a flute, a few ukulele, a couple acoustic guitars, a cello, and all the kids sing. Creates a pretty involving musical experience at home.
There is nothing better than live music. HiFi can only hope to recreate that experience, you know, like Elvis' Coat. That said, my Sax is also in my listening room, but I am not very good. Coltrane will have to do.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:32 PM

Since the 1970’s when my mom’s boyfriend moved in with his blue-dialed Marantz stereo I’ve been hooked on the stuff! My best friend and I started delivering newspapers at the age of 10 to save up money to go to Myer-Emco in the Washington DC area to audition and buy components one at a time after saving for six months.

These days at home a Tandberg 3012A amplifier runs a pair of Usher Diamond Mini Dancers that play a Rega turntable and Pixel phone that streams high resolution audio. Positioning the speakers diagonally in our living room makes for a vast sound stage-and a great place for our 20 month old daughter to dance to Van Morrison and do interpretive dance to Coltrane.

In the office a Music Hall A35.2 amplifier powers some extremely inefficient but great sounding ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 bookshelf speakers. An upgraded TU-717 tuner and streaming high resolution audio are the music sources for this setup. There’s a Harman Kardon HK 690i receiver waiting to front the system again, but it needs some cleaning or something to fix up the sound which is off.

Of course, like mentioned in other posts, if you can see live music, go! Luckily, I married a musician, so we get to go to gigs and she also accepts the fact that our speakers are taller than our daughter.

By the way, a fellow forum member sold us our amplifier, so there seems to be a high amount of cyclists who are audiophiles.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

I had an Advent 300, turntable, CD player, etc., powering a pair of speakers I have forgotten, when I was in high school almost 20 years ago. I listened to a lot of Phish through that thing. I really got derailed by iPods and phones (terrible sound, but you get to be a fashion victim atmo) as I suspect most late gen X/ early millennials did. After college I actually gave away an Onkyo setup that would have been very nice. Alas. I am rebounding with a set of Edifier bookshelf speakers from Ama***. Gave up paying A**le for music a few years ago and that has me interested in a real audio set up again. My bookshelf speakers are getting the job done... I can hear Son Volt clearly while I do the dishes so that's good.

Another kind of audio gear: I had a Rivera R100 tube combo (man I loved the American channel on that thing). I consigned it when we moved to NC for me to go to grad school. I want another rig kinda bad again. I am a budget tube kinda guy. Pining for an Egnater Rebel 30.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Luxman M-7 Signature amp and Luxman C-5 Signature preamp (both the champagne-gold front finish ), Adcom GFT555II tuner, old Yamaha cd player, in between turntables at the moment, PSB speakers.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:45 PM

Here's hoping this thread doesn't devolve into boring arguments about cables and double blind testing.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
Here's hoping this thread doesn't devolve into boring arguments about cables and double blind testing.
I was just about to...
For me, the science is in. Electronics and cables are a done deal, they all sound the same. Put your money in speakers and place them well in the room.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 10-29-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Would love to see pictures of your listening caves tied in with this awesome equipment!
Not the most recent setup but the only photo I currently have available. The TV and pre-amp have changed but the rest is the same.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HI_FI.jpg (22.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
One specific example is that the 4th cut on Rattatat's LP3 has a distinct symbol note that I always found odd because it sounding like it was coming from the floor by my left speaker. Once I put the silver cables in, my whole soundstage stood up properly in 3 dimensions and the symbol tones were right where they should be in space, not on the floor. How is that for a distinct and audible difference.
wow, you can hear symbols?!? your cables must be awesome!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 AM

simplified, just like the bikes

Primare i30 amp
Primare cd31 cdp
Nola Contender speakers

been thinking of adding a music server/streamer but too lazy....
Old 10-29-2018, 07:12 AM

Upgrade-itis in audio is far worse, # options and cost, than in bikes. I speak from first hand experience!

Latest set-up.
PS Audio DirectStream DAC/Digital Streamer using Roon/Tidal
McIntosh MCD-301 CD/SACD Player
McIntosh C-2300 Tube Preamp
McIntosh MC-501 Monoblock Amplifiers
PS Audio P-10 Power Regenerator
Sonus Faber Cremona M Speakers <-this will be upgraded next
Kimber Kable Select KS-3035 Speaker Cables
Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II interconnects
Shunyata Alpha Power Cords

I'm very happy with the set-up except for the speakers which will be upgraded to another pair of Sonus Fabers when funds permit.

Last edited by bikeridah; 10-29-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
wow, you can hear symbols?!? your cables must be awesome!
Wow. Seriously? I am talking about special representation and not whether I can hear a symbol. Stay on point please. Sarcasm comes off better in person.

Ooooooops...just had my first sip of coffee. All is clear now

Last edited by kingpin75s; 10-29-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: stuff
Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Cymbals are heard, symbols are written.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I think we all know what was meant.

Peace man!

William