Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 11:35 PM

NB also has real nice American made socks!!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:39 PM

Check the fine print on the website.

Some are made in U.S., yes...and just like Ford trucks, they're made onshore with a combo of onshore and offshore materials.

Granted, it's better than nothing being made here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
My American made NB were 130.00 ish
Old 02-16-2019, 11:43 PM

Not 200.00 shoe's
Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 AM

Nope.

"Made in
the USA
These shoes are produced using both imported
and domestic material. The domestic content is
70% or more."

"Assembled
in the USA
These shoes are assembled by U.S. workers using
both imported and domestic material. The
domestic content is less than 70%."

https://www.newbalance.com/made_in_usa-old.html

But fwiw, I've been buying NB's for years. NB is also the only sneaker that fits my wide foot. Literally can't fit in any other sneaker. I have a couple pairs of NB's in my closet, and the old worn out ones now get yard duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
Not 200.00 shoe's

Last edited by 54ny77; 02-17-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Nope.

"Made in
the USA
These shoes are produced using both imported
and domestic material. The domestic content is
70% or more."

"Assembled
in the USA
These shoes are assembled by U.S. workers using
both imported and domestic material. The
domestic content is less than 70%."

https://www.newbalance.com/made_in_usa-old.html

But fwiw, I've been buying NB's for years. NB is also the only sneaker that fits my wide foot. Literally can't fit in any other sneaker. I have a couple pairs of NB's in my closet, and the old worn out ones now get yard duty.
I guess what I meant is they are competitively priced . I get great NB running shoes in the 130.00 range. I also use my retired shoes for cutting the grass.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Go 'Merica

The airplane war between Boeing and Airbus is legendary and it took many years to see who would prevail after both made long term gamblers about what future plane buyers wanted. Billions invested and years spent, it looks today as if Boeing has triumphed.

From the article:

"Boeing shares are up 30% in less than a month and a half, pacing well ahead of the other components of the Dow (DJIA) and the average which is up just 11%.

Airbus believed it could build and successfully market a new generation of what the Boeing 747 was–a jumbo jet at the center of the long haul commercial air fleet for five decades. Cancellation of the A380 by Airbus killed the future of a plane that held as many as 500 seats. Airlines found that smaller more fuel-efficient planes made them more money. Boeing has its competition at the jumbo end of the market

Boeing had to do more than fight its way through the competition to post a strong rally. Investors have worried that a trade war with China would cut Boeing sales there. China is well along the path that leads to being the world’s largest commercial airplane market. The Chinese have not attacked the American airplane industry as a pawn in the trade game, so Boeing may be safe."

https://247wallst.com/aerospace-defe...ll-dow-stocks/
Old 02-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Opposite Outlooks

In markets you have people betting in both directions at the same time, some think it's going up, some think it's going down.

That's what we have now with the bond market. Stocks predict better days ahead, bonds warn if oncoming recession.

"As Wall Street rallies on US-China trade hopes, bond investors may be worried about a recession.

Stocks have been euphoric about the potential for a trade deal between the U.S. and China, but the bond market has been acting gloomy and has been more focused on uncertainty and the chances for a recession.

"One of these markets is going to be wrong, and it's hard to know this time around which one it's going to be," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at National Securities. "The bond market is betting we are not going to see stabilization of growth, and that the China trade war drags on."

"I think there's a couple of things in the bond market that don't connect to reality the way the equity market sees it," said Hogan.

In his view, the stock market is moving higher based on three assumptions: An end to the U.S.-China trade fight, an accomodative Fed, and continued economic stability in both the U.S. and China.

Conversely, "I don't think the bond market is behind that narrative," Hogan added. "The bond market is looking at the economic data stream and reflecting on the negatives."

"Is the bond market expressing the longer term consensus? No, it's not," said Pande. "The bond market is really trading like it's a reinsurance market," where reinsurers will raise prices with each successive event: If there were hurricanes five years in a row, they would still charge as though another hurricane was expected in the sixth year.

That is how the bond market is now responding to weak data — as if it is forecasting an economic storm, or even recession that may not come."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...recession.html
Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Do us here 'Mericans want (or let alone be able) to buy $200 New Balance sneakers that are made onshore ("that contains a domestic value of 70% or greater"), or is the weekend shopping decision a no brainer to fit the kids and family with the $15 version from Wally World?

The market seems to be answering that question.

And thus the race to an even greater socio-economic divide continues.
When Converse moved production of it's All-Stars line to China back in 2000, it was paying American workers $15/hr and charging $30 per pair. Labor costs, for Chinese workers, fell to $0.10/hr but it Converse kept pricing the same.

Don't you think the argument that we can't afford to make our own consumables paying American workers respectable wages requires, at least, addressing what respectable profit margins might be?

I can live without Converse All-Stars, but the production of vaccines and pharmaceuticals has shifted to China in exactly the same way.

Surprisingly, Americans pay the highest vaccine and pharmaceutical prices in the world.

These are circumstances occurring because of American policy, not market function.

We don't have market choices when it comes to vaccines or pharmaceuticals.

Do you think it's possible that we don't really have market choices in sneakers?
Old 03-09-2019, 04:46 PM

DJIA 5 consecutive days of losses.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
I'm glad it's going down, I increased my percentage deduction by 5% points in my 403b on Feb 15th. I made a lot of money in my 403b after the 2008 crash when I increased the percentage points the day of the crash because I bought stocks at bargain prices while they were low, then last year when everything was pretty much not doing much I reduced my percentage, so now it's time to increase it, and if the market goes down further I'll increase it another 5%. Fortunately I can afford to take risks with this because I have other sources of retirement income and I really don't need the 403b but its a nice luxury for me, it's more like if I need to buy something major I can just use it for that rather than rely on it for income.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
But a nice recovery on Friday.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
But a nice recovery on Friday.
Indeed. It only lost 0.09% rather than, say, 0.90%.

Hardly a recovery. Anyway, stocks fluctuate. Don’t worry about weekly or even monthly fluctuations. Buy low, sell high. Better yet, just buy low.

Last edited by saab2000; 03-09-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Buy high, sell higher
Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 PM

doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Down 2.5% in the past week, far cry from the week before Christmas
Old 03-09-2019, 06:47 PM

i have to admit i don't get it. market is at close to all time highs still and we have a president who engages in protectionism. normally the market should decline under such conditions and a lot more than it has.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth