Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Recovering a stolen bike for which I don't have a serial number

Last summer, I lost a few bikes (and a bunch of other components/tools/etc.) out of my garage. I haven't seen neither hide nor hair of them since on the typical c-list/offer up/ebay for a few months, so I was sure they were well out of state at this point.

Today, just randomly perusing the local craigslist, I found one of my bikes! I called the police who took the report and they will call back soon, but how should I go about recovering this bike? I don't have the serial number, but I do have many pictures of the bike, some with me in them, and I could quote the parts list verbatim.

Anyone have experience or thoughts here?
Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 PM

First, I’d email and let them know you like the bike and see if they have any others slightly less expensive (maybe he has your others). Then meet in public place that you can walk to. Then go for a long, fast test ride on the one you really want back.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Last summer, I lost a few bikes (and a bunch of other components/tools/etc.) out of my garage. I haven't seen neither hide nor hair of them since on the typical c-list/offer up/ebay for a few months, so I was sure they were well out of state at this point.

Today, just randomly perusing the local craigslist, I found one of my bikes! I called the police who took the report and they will call back soon, but how should I go about recovering this bike? I don't have the serial number, but I do have many pictures of the bike, some with me in them, and I could quote the parts list verbatim.

ideally, you'll bring a police officer with you. that's really the only up-and-up way to do it without taking your own action.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Police and I is kinda what I figured. I like the bike, but not worth a physical confrontation.

The only question is which police, since the bike seems to be in a different city/county from my house.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Police and I is kinda what I figured. I like the bike, but not worth a physical confrontation.

The only question is which police, since the bike seems to be in a different city/county from my house.
use the local one, they have jurisdiction, and they'll want a copy of your report from your precinct area.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Where did you buy the bike? Without proof it's legally yours it's a hard lead for the cops to follow.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Where did you buy the bike? Without proof it's legally yours it's a hard lead for the cops to follow.
I bought the frame on eBay, in 2010. I have email traffic between the seller and I.

The cops called me back. They didn't seem too concerned that I don't know the serial number. I told them that I could quote the parts build to them, that the combination of parts is unique to my bike and that I could provide several photos of the bike over the last 7 years. That seemed to be enough for them, but maybe I'm SOL? Currently waiting for another call back from the detective. We will see where that goes.

Anyway, PSA, don't be like me - all of this is much easier if you have your serial number and original purchase receipt. Register your rides on BikeIndex or similar.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I bought the frame on eBay, in 2010. I have email traffic between the seller and I.

The cops called me back. They didn't seem too concerned that I don't know the serial number. I told them that I could quote the parts build to them, that the combination of parts is unique to my bike and that I could provide several photos of the bike over the last 7 years. That seemed to be enough for them, but maybe I'm SOL? Currently waiting for another call back from the detective. We will see where that goes.

Anyway, PSA, don't be like me - all of this is much easier if you have your serial number and original purchase receipt. Register your rides on BikeIndex or similar.
I din't mean to discourage you but having worked in shops forever serial # were king. That said I think the cops will listen to your story and act on the info you can provide that can connect the dots and you to the bike, Just sayin the serial # is always super helpful. Good luck! Also register but also take photos and have receipts on your phone at all times. It's a huge problem here in Chicago
Old 02-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I din't mean to discourage you but having worked in shops forever serial # were king. That said I think the cops will listen to your story and act on the info you can provide that can connect the dots and you to the bike, Just sayin the serial # is always super helpful. Good luck! Also register but also take photos and have receipts on your phone at all times. It's a huge problem here in Chicago

No worries, I absolutely get what you are saying. Since the original theft last summer, I've obsessively documented all my new bikes.

I'm fortunate to live in a community with a "customer-service friendly" PD. They just have to talk to their friends in the other PD across the city who would actually have jurisdiction here.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
No worries, I absolutely get what you are saying. Since the original theft last summer, I've obsessively documented all my new bikes.

I'm fortunate to live in a community with a "customer-service friendly" PD. They just have to talk to their friends in the other PD across the city who would actually have jurisdiction here.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM

My local PD would at least contact the seller to size them up, best meeting them as the seller and victim meet up.

They are good at feeling out BS stories, so might be able to convince the seller into giving up the bike so as to avoid trouble.

Alternately, if you can peacefully steal your bike back, the seller should have recourse, though I suppose they might possibly not know that it is stolen.