Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

The Park Service web site says that "potable water" isn't available on the trail.

Does that mean that non-potable water is available? If so, could you take the appropriate treatments and turn the bad water into drinkable water?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM

I thought about that too. There is the Green River that comes at about 60 miles or so doing the loop clockwise. I have wondered what if i carried a water filter and drank the Green River water.

Anyone done that? I know that the water is very silt-y so maybe it clogs the filters really fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The Park Service web site says that "potable water" isn't available on the trail.

Does that mean that non-potable water is available? If so, could you take the appropriate treatments and turn the bad water into drinkable water?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Which bike are you riding?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:56 PM

The Green has too much sediment in it to be a usable water source for a one day adventure. It will clog your filter if you try to get water directly from the river. The only people I know who have used it filled up a tub and let it sit overnight so that the sediment could settle before they ran it through their filters.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Classics Fan

How is it to mountain bike this trail? it seems that people also take dirt bikes, ATVs, 4x4 trucks, etc. Does mountain biking feel like you're constantly getting passed by motorized vehicles?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM

The riding is great. It generally isn't crowded. There is some traffic, 5-10 vehicles, on weekends on the initial decent into the canyons but it thins out quickly. ATVs and 4 wheel drive cars without 4 low aren't allowed so most of the yahoos go elsewhere. The folks you encounter while riding are polite and no one on any trip I've been on has ever had an issue with any of them.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
The Green has too much sediment in it to be a usable water source for a one day adventure. It will clog your filter if you try to get water directly from the river. The only people I know who have used it filled up a tub and let it sit overnight so that the sediment could settle before they ran it through their filters.
I was going to say the same thing....minus the bathtub
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I am rereading Cadillac Desert at the current moment. The amount of silt the Green carries is off the charts.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I thought these were interesting:

https://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/nature/waterquality.htm

https://www.nps.gov/articles/ncpn-cecs.htm

(the thought of someone jumping into a desert pool covered in sunscreen was disturbing, given all the animals that rely on the little water that is available)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I would recommend oveja negra chuckbucket which attaches to your handlebar and stem. You can put two on each side of your stem. They can hold a 1L Nalgene bottles securely. So two you have 2L of water without giving up any space traditionally reserved for storage on an MTB. Very well made. I love mine.

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.co...-handlebar-bag
Similar to above ^
https://fatcatbikebags.bigcartel.com...-barrel-custom

Fits 2 1 liter nalgene plus stuff in the middle pocket. Can attach to the handlebars
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Not sure. It will be one of the three:
1) Moots RSL rigid single speed
2) Sonder Transmiter Carbon Hardtail with 120 mm fork
3) Trek Fuel EX Full suspension

I think I am more than likely to go with the Trek. It will me more comfortable. But if I am in hardcore shape by May -- very unlikely, I may go out with a bang and take the single speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Which bike are you riding?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Not sure. It will be one of the three:
1) Moots RSL rigid single speed
2) Sonder Transmiter Carbon Hardtail with 120 mm fork
3) Trek Fuel EX Full suspension

I think I am more than likely to go with the Trek. It will me more comfortable. But if I am in hardcore shape by May -- very unlikely, I may go out with a bang and take the single speed.
I was going to suggest adding some Anything Cages or the like to the fork for more water option. Maybe you should just pull a trailer and bring a chair and an umbrella for a lunch break!

I'd be trying to get most of that water on the bike but I hate riding with backpacks...though it might be a necessity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 7.27.01 AM.jpg (24.5 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by charliedid; 02-19-2019 at 07:27 AM.