Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Unhappy "Easy" Bikepacking Trip Ends with Frost Bite...

Frost bite from an "easy" winter gravel bikepacking trip.

Yup. I got cocky. I assumed that since I had alot of backpacking experience in below-zero temperatures (-17°C for you euro guys) that a 100 mile overnight trip in -5° weather would be easy. Oh I was so wrong.

On day one I left the small town of Hartford SD on a snow covered gravel road. By 5pm the sun was down and the gravel roads were getting hilly. It was so cold that most of the batteries on my electronics were dead except for my phone which I snuggled* close to my chest to keep it warm. I chose to* bike via moonlight because I did not want to* waste any light battery* that I may have needed in an emergency. As darkness took over I hit a steep low maintenance road that led down into a valley. I don't know how I didn't crash cuz it was covered in ice and snow drifts. I pedalled for two more hours in total darkness.

I made camp in the middle of an open field next to a dead tree. I was mentally destroyed from all the darkness and exposure. I became very stressed that I did not bring enough insulation to keep me warm through the night. When my stove gave nothing more than a faint sputter I decided two make a real fire.

I HATE making real fires because the sparks destroy clothes and smoke stinks. And I was drawing a lot of attention to myself considering I was supposed to be "stealth" camping in an open field.

I slept warm for most of the night although my feet were chilly by morning. Getting out of my sleeping bag was one of the hardest things I've had to do all year. The wind chill felt like it was tearing off my face and I could not pack anything because removing my gloves for even a few seconds made my hands hurt and go numb.

When I finally had camp packed up I threw a leg over my bike and started peddling. Headwinds, headwinds, and more headwinds. I stumbled upon an old abandoned farm house and decided to go on a micro adventure to check it out. Lots of kick-ass antiques and dilapidated walls filled the house. After forcing myself back outside into the wind I realized I would not be able to meet my 100 mile goal and make it home in time for family obligations so I* hammered towards home. Those last 20 miles easily make the top 3 hardest rides I have ever pushed through. At one point I just got off my bike and started walking because I was so spent. But then I realized I was only prolonging the pain and hopped back on. When I finally reached home I plopped into a chair and just stared outside like a zombie. I made a video of this adventure if you guys want to see:

https://youtu.be/_GzHYa_GAPs

^^^Video^^^

The next day the skin on my nose was severely discolored at the point where my face mask ended. During the ride my nose hurt quite a lot but I thought it was because my helmet was pushing my glasses downward. I was wrong because the skin is now all wrinkly and starting to peel at one of the edges. I really hope it doesn't leave a permanent scare because it is litterally in the middle of my face.

Last edited by TREEfool; 02-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:15 PM

wow...serious stuff...heal up!

fyi...none of your images are visible.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
wow...serious stuff...heal up!

fyi...none of your images are visible.
Oh my! Thank you! I can see them on my phone. I will see what I did wrong...
Old 02-21-2019, 12:34 PM

The early part of this story could be a chapter in Jack London's To Build a Fire. Glad you made it home safe, I've enjoyed a fair number of your youtube videos, keep up the good work!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Note to self:

Don't do that.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

you dropped your glove
Old 02-21-2019, 01:27 PM

but bravo!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Get well soon.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your nose, but glad you are still here with us. That could have easily gone worse than it did.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of an "easy" bikepacking trip in SD in February ...
Old 02-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys! I love telling stories and I am happy to share it with you all.... I too am glad I made it back relatively ok. I definitely learned an important lesson on this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrythewound View Post
The early part of this story could be a chapter in Jack London's To Build a Fire. Glad you made it home safe, I've enjoyed a fair number of your youtube videos, keep up the good work!
I appreciate that!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of an "easy" bikepacking trip in SD in February ...
Hahaha! Well, relative to some of my big overnight climbs in these temps, pedaling a bike seemed "easy" but again, that was me being ignorant.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Good on you for not doing that zwift mumbjumbo. Heal fast
Old 02-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Absolutely nothing about that trip would appeal to me personally, I hate riding below 50 deg.F. Glad you like it and great video.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDE, your crazy ! (Good for you!) You got some grit that's for sure, here's to you and thx for sharing this.

I know there must be others on PL that do this or worse, but I'm born and bread in California (not that that a good thing) and we just dont do this kinda thing. I mean if it rains we might wait for the wind to blow the roads mostly dry and then head out. I think its a pain if I have to dress in layers for my ride and might wait an hour or 2 until it warms a bit so I dont have to. While you where likely on your ride I was doing this ride ........

Tags
bike camping, bikepacking, gravel adventure, gravel bike