Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 PM

I really like this design. Flat tops with flared drops seems like a winning combo for a gravel rig. My only gripe with my Easton ec70 ax bars is that the tops are round.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2019, 06:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
I like the idea of these, I would only want flare while in the drops, and don't like my hoods flared. Looking forward to your report!
I will definitely do a report after I ride them a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I really like this design. Flat tops with flared drops seems like a winning combo for a gravel rig. My only gripe with my Easton ec70 ax bars is that the tops are round.

another reason I bought em, LOVE flat tops.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 02-14-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Satori (Taiwan) has recently come out with an alu bar a bit like these, but only 8 degree flare. Some different shaping also.

http://www.satoribike.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=154&cid=6&f=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEhDBebNW8

Good luck finding them for sale at the moment though
that is interesting, a bit different... I am surprised they can get that shaping with alu tbh.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I will definitely do a report after I ride them a bit

another reason I bought em, LOVE flat tops.
I almost grabbed the ergonovas you had for sale. I waited it out a bit too long. I run them on my drifter and find them to be ultra comfy.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM

A bit intrigued by this bar.

I've always been curious about flared gravel bars, but as many said I don't like the position it puts the hoods in, which is generally where I am most comfortable, especially this time of year when I am layered up for the cold. I've never actually tried them though.

I picked up a set of Ritchey bars in silver for my Waterford, and had planned to use the FSA carbon bars from that bike on my Lynskey. That carbon bar id ten plus years old, though, and the Lynskey sees a lot of use, so I'm holding off on the swap.

Can't wait to hear...also kind of bummed that they don't have this in a "middle ground" 42 option.

Would love to see one in real life on a bike, especially to get an idea of the difference between the two sizes.

SPP
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I almost grabbed the ergonovas you had for sale. I waited it out a bit too long. I run them on my drifter and find them to be ultra comfy.

well those are still not sold with a bazillion people in line for them lol, they were around for a minute no one wanted them so I put them on ebay, someone bought them and has not paid in 5 days. Opened disput and have to wait. I hate ebay sometimes. I never tried those bars but just in my hand I can tell I would like them, the tops on that is exactly what I like (which I assume will be very similar to the supergaigaaiaiaa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
A bit intrigued by this bar.

I've always been curious about flared gravel bars, but as many said I don't like the position it puts the hoods in, which is generally where I am most comfortable, especially this time of year when I am layered up for the cold. I've never actually tried them though.

I picked up a set of Ritchey bars in silver for my Waterford, and had planned to use the FSA carbon bars from that bike on my Lynskey. That carbon bar id ten plus years old, though, and the Lynskey sees a lot of use, so I'm holding off on the swap.

Can't wait to hear...also kind of bummed that they don't have this in a "middle ground" 42 option.

Would love to see one in real life on a bike, especially to get an idea of the difference between the two sizes.

SPP
I am with you Peter. I am surprised they did not do a 42, as it seems it is the most popular bar size. I feel like they did not want to do 3 bars (as to test if these will actually sell, seems like they are selling as a lot of people don't have them in stock). I would not be surprised if they will eventually do a 42 with the flare in the middle of the 40s and the 44s.

These should be here today, I will probably install them this weekend and give them a try next week.

If you want to try a good flared bar, I think the salsa cowbell is a good choice. 12 degree of flare is minimal so hoods will stay pretty straight but the drops feel super good (I miss that everytime I go to my road bikes with non flare drops). I will have a salsa cowbell deluxe for sale if you want to try em
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Any updates on the 3T bar?

Also, just saw that Lauf has something new that looks pretty good...more sizes, a little less pricey...

SPP
Old 02-21-2019, 09:40 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Any updates on the 3T bar?

Also, just saw that Lauf has something new that looks pretty good...more sizes, a little less pricey...

SPP
Its on the bike, actually does not look bad at all but have not ridden them yet. Just trying them out they feel amazing. Love the flat tops, love the fare on the drops but indeed the shifters stay perfectly straight.

As you know we just got fkn snow again yesterday and today is suppose to be freezing rain so I am waiting for a nice day to take that bike out... maybe this weekend. I will update, I promise.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. Motivated me to order them to replace my cowbells. Should be here soon!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Motivated me to order them to replace my cowbells. Should be here soon!
did you go for the 40 or the 44s?

Also, today was gorgeous, 50 degree February day, just after a cold snowy day yesterday. I just could not stay home so I got out for a few miles. Took the OPEN out in full gravel mode and got to try the bars.

I need more time with them but so far, I love them. I missed having flat tops, so comfortable, specially climbing on the flats. Nice that the hoods are straight, I did not mind a bit of flare but definitely prefer no flare what so ever.

The best part of course is the drops, so comfortable and so much control. I have to take these on more technical descends and gravel but just messing around on road descends and I even jumped on some snow and went on road shoulders that were sandy gravel and felt great... I really can see how the wideness of the drops can give you more control and confidence.

I definetely want to put more time of course but so far I am happy. Do wish they were 42cm up top though, that is all I use and I did feel a bit of a different when on the hoods... I think something I will have to get used to, by no means bad, just different.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
did you go for the 40 or the 44s?

Also, today was gorgeous, 50 degree February day, just after a cold snowy day yesterday. I just could not stay home so I got out for a few miles. Took the OPEN out in full gravel mode and got to try the bars.

I need more time with them but so far, I love them. I missed having flat tops, so comfortable, specially climbing on the flats. Nice that the hoods are straight, I did not mind a bit of flare but definitely prefer no flare what so ever.

The best part of course is the drops, so comfortable and so much control. I have to take these on more technical descends and gravel but just messing around on road descends and I even jumped on some snow and went on road shoulders that were sandy gravel and felt great... I really can see how the wideness of the drops can give you more control and confidence.

I definetely want to put more time of course but so far I am happy. Do wish they were 42cm up top though, that is all I use and I did feel a bit of a different when on the hoods... I think something I will have to get used to, by no means bad, just different.

I went with 44’s with the more exaggerated drop sweep. As you know the Cowbells are not very drastic but i have 44’s in those as well. I’ll report back on how the drops feel when they arrive and I get some time on them.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 PM

How is braking from the drops? Looks like it would be a little weird with the lever out of plane with the drop. It looks like the tip of the lever would sit inboard of the drop, requiring one to reach inward to grasp the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
How is braking from the drops? Looks like it would be a little weird with the lever out of plane with the drop. It looks like the tip of the lever would sit inboard of the drop, requiring one to reach inward to grasp the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Braking from the drops feels great imo
Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM

I got a call from my shop saying the bars are held up at the port. He asked if I wanted to go with the Enve gravel bars instead. Any one have experience with these? R3, did you give these a serious look? After reading the info below it looks like Enve did something similar with the bend of the drops to keep the hoods from angling out too much.

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behi...vel-handlebar/
Old 03-07-2019, 01:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
I got a call from my shop saying the bars are held up at the port. He asked if I wanted to go with the Enve gravel bars instead. Any one have experience with these? R3, did you give these a serious look? After reading the info below it looks like Enve did something similar with the bend of the drops to keep the hoods from angling out too much.

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behi...vel-handlebar/
I did look at them but the shifter still gets angled so although is better than say, a salsa or a easton, you still get the angled hood... at least is what it looks like it does on the first row of pics.. on the second it looks straight so I am not sure.

I love the 3T though, that I know

Last edited by R3awak3n; 03-07-2019 at 01:15 PM.