Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Kind of OK

The Garmin Hegemon Expands

They bought TACX.
I, for one, welcome our alien overlords.... (roll eye emoji)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Glad I have a Tacx trainer from way back when before Garmin can introduce firmware bugs into them...

LOL.. I still use Garmin, but just this weekend my Edge 1000 ran into the bug where it won't auto pause when GPS is off on the trainer. Seems on topic for this thread.

Envisioning a bug now where the trainer has computer controlled resistance levels and it goes crazy while you're riding.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Glad I have a Tacx trainer from way back when before Garmin can introduce firmware bugs into them...
Haha! Me, too. I have a Tacx Neo and use a simple Garmin Edge reliably (mostly) for years, but I find the s/w is a finicky PITA to upload consistently without updating all the time. Mostly, I can't stand Garmin and will likely switch to Wahoo at some point.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Watched the DC Rainmaker video about this and he’s OK with it. Says it will ultimately create more competition in the business and I think he’s right. Garmin wanted a smart trainer to compete with Wahoo. I don’t think this is a bad thing.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Personal experience with top end Tacx direct drives vs kickr?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Tacx software is some of the buggiest, crappiest software known to man (pity those who went through TTS 2.x to 3.x to 4.x)

So I'd say this is a match made in heaven!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Gotta compete with Wahoo and Garmin doesn't have any smart trainers...

Garmin:
Love my 920XT, hate all their software issues. Also don't like all the Garmin sensors and such that took FOR-EV-ER to move to bluetooth.

Wahoo:
Really love my kicker
Enjoyed my time with the Elemnt Bolt, but ultimately my Garmin 920XT was a better all in 1 solution.
Screen was awesome on the bolt, much easier to read than the new Garmin units.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Crossing Tacx off my list.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 AM

Interesting to see where this goes. Indoor training appears to be increasing. I am thinking someone is coming out with a full spin bike type solution that fits like a real bike and has motion built in.

Wahoo has certainly taken a bite out of Garmin's lunch, but they are not without problems. The Wahoo Kickr is still having a bunch of problems. I have a friend who is on his 3rd unit.....Their plus, is they are taking care of it, good customer service.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Garmin:
Love my 920XT, hate all their software issues. Also don't like all the Garmin sensors and such that took FOR-EV-ER to move to bluetooth.
That's a funny one since Bluetooth universally sucks... ANT+ has always been a million times better for me. Better battery life, fewer pairing issues, faster connect times, fewer bugs, you name it.

Sensors, Car stereos, Speakers, Phones, whatever.. pretty much everything with Bluetooth has been buggy and annoying.

One thing about Tacx, I love the feel of their trainers.. a couple times lately I've gone in the LBS with my son and they have one of the direct drive trainers setup with Zwift as a sales promo item to get you interested.

It is pretty cool, I could definitely enjoy Zwift, but whatever direct drive trainer they have feels incredibly unrealistic compared to my now ancient Tacx. I want to say it was the Cycleops one. It just felt really laggy or something, not smooth at all and also didn't feel realistic starting from a stop, etc..

Last edited by benb; 02-13-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
That's a funny one since Bluetooth universally sucks... ANT+ has always been a million times better for me. Better battery life, fewer pairing issues, faster connect times, fewer bugs, you name it.

Sensors, Car stereos, Speakers, Phones, whatever.. pretty much everything with Bluetooth has been buggy and annoying.
Yep. Universal = everyone uses it = lots of interference.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Tacx + Garmin, wonderful they can finally take the 10 trainers they have and confuse them with more model numbers and more versions!

No, I hope that this is good for both success in the industry is always good.

But I'm gunna keep using my Wahoo till it dies, fingers crossed I don't find a way to kill it any time soon.