Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 11:41 AM

2019 not starting off on a good note!

https://bikinginla.com/2019/01/11/br...-this-morning/
I ride through this spot several times a week. Now I will always wonder if I'm next. Anyone from around there have anymore info?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 AM

what a terrible, terrible tragedy.

the comments section in that article are gut wrenching, esp. by those who performed cpr on site.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
what a terrible, terrible tragedy.

the comments section in that article are gut wrenching, esp. by those who performed cpr on site.
No kidding. Hard to fathom that on any level - and I just lost my GM to cancer earlier this week... The trajedy and suddenness of it all is just unimaginable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM

was literally gonna ride up the coast today and likely pass that spot.

think i'll take a pass and spend more time along bike trails.

damn. just damn.

condolences to anyone here who knew the cyclist.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM

NO, you are not next, if you get fearful you will do stupid stuff and may become next though. If riding PCH scares you then don't ride it, but that's just one crash that resulted in a death, one in how many years? how many riders ride that road? You see, the odds of you getting killed on that road is extremely low, virtually nothing.

I'm not saying you don't need to keep your eyes and ears, yes ears, take those damn earbuds out while riding you need your ears to hear cars coming up from behind to hear if they are gunning their engines to beat you and cut you off at the next cross street. Also you should invest in some sort of mirror, I like the ones that go onto the bar end, the ones that clip onto your glasses leaves a small forward blind spot I don't really care for but not really a big deal. And use your head out there, stop sign/light means you need stop and wait, that is the law anyways unless CA changed that since I've been there; on that same note slow down for yield signs even IF the yield sign is for the opposing traffic and not for you! A lot of dopes driving just run those yield signs like they're not even there. Also at stop signs make sure the other cars stop for their stop signs before you go, and make sure they see you and recognize your presence. You get truck and RV traffic on that road too, NEVER, NEVER pull along side of one, stay behind them about 6 feet (big profile vehicles can roll backwards when they start to go from a stop especially on any type of grade). If you have a bike lane stay in it, if you wonder outside that lane and get hit the blame is on you.

Concerning trucks and large profile vehicles like RV's (RV drivers are amatuer drivers so be wary of them), I want you to watch this video, it's a sad video, but the doctor was not experienced enough to handle the situation she got into. First thing notice she did not stay in the bicycle lane as instructed by signs and codings marked on the bike lane. Second notice what happens when she came along side the truck...warning, it's not good!

https://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

At 45 seconds you can see the bike lane clearly marked and there is a rider in that lane like he's suppose to be, where is the doctor? she's not where she was suppose to be. The Trucker is clearly signalling his intentions to turn, he swings the truck wide which is what he's supposed to do if he doesn't want to take out street lights and fire hydrants. The little law stuff that pops up is due to drama, the cyclist was suppose to be in the bicycle lane that was clearly marked and that law in that city takes over the law that the video posted; and the lane she was in was clearly marked as a bus stop which is why the city put the bike lane one lane over to prevent a bus from doing the same thing. So she was too inexperienced for that situation, she had no idea about big trucks and their lack of turning nor about their lack of visibility, had she slowed down and stayed behind the truck she would have been fine but she didn't she kept pedaling on. If that same situation did not have a bike lane then she should have taken the lane, meaning riding down the center of the lane, she was going fast enough she was keeping up with traffic and actually going faster than traffic, if that were the situation the right lane is where she should have been as she was, (unless that right lane turns into a turn land and she wanted to go straight then she would have needed to merge into the left lane so cars opposing her from the front wouldn't think she's going to turn and thus causing another accident), but again she would have needed to take the lane. If you notice that other cyclist back at the 45 second mark I think he was too far to the left on that lane, he should have centered it, but he does go back to center once he gets going, not sure what his rational was for doing that, I use to live and ride in Los Angeles and I never did that but maybe he knows something either I don't see from the video or knows something else I don't. The hit and run issue is iffy, trucks are large and driver is very isolated from knowing what he hit, he did run over the curb so I'm assuming he thought he ran over the curb, and CF bikes and a body crush very easily so again I think running over the curb fooled the driver into thinking he didn't hit something else.

Here is what the Boston police said about that: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...yCL/story.html

In that above site they talk about truck blind spots, this is a serious situation that ALL bike riders need to know about, so look at this to understand why this is serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-rhiGRFTE Now understand something here, yes there are blind spots, but the driver needs to be aware at all times, and by moving and leaning around the driver can see more than the above film shows, but most don't, yes that's their fault but that's why you need to be aware of that problem. Don't blame the truck driver for failing to see you when you should have taken measures to counter that, don't be dead right!

There is a family lawsuit against the driver and the company, as far as I know that is still outstanding, but jurys tend to go for the injured party right or wrong; and also most of the time they will settle out of court because the years of litigation is expensive so might as well just pay what the litigation could cost and any suspected award.

I don't even come alongside a car on the right due to that same issue, the driver won't look, turns and hits you. I take the lane at all times, if there is a bike lane on the right then I stay behind the car anyways while staying in the bike lane if an intersection is coming with my hands ready to hit the brakes, and watching for turn signals though most don't use these anymore, if I stop for a red light in that same bike lane I may pull along side and look at the driver and wave to get their attention that I'm there, and will point my intentions to go straight and will say I'm going straight.

Speaking of turn signals, don't rely on the motorist using these, expect the car to turn regardless if the signal is used or not and be ready to stop.

I'm sorry if I went on and on about this but I wanted to bring people on this forum to an awareness as to how dangerous it can be around large profile vehicles, and maybe it might save the life of someone here because now they're armed with that knowledge.

Last edited by froze; 01-12-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
NO, you are not next, if you get fearful you will do stupid stuff and may become next though. If riding PCH scares you then don't ride it,
I am not afraid to ride there or anyplace else I visit on my routine rides and will continue as long as my 65 year old body will let me.
But too often I see drivers veering into the bike lane ahead of me and wonder where they were before passing me.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:24 PM

My one comment on the long post: Mirrors are criminally underused by cyclists because they're "uncool". I got used to having them on recumbents and the habit stuck when I went back to DF bikes. Now whenever I head out on a new build to check things out and haven't bothered with the mirror yet, I feel blind. It simply doesn't make sense to be on the road without a clear sight of cars approaching from behind.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Which one do you use? I tried the little nub that goes in glasses, wasn't a fan. Am considering the handlebar drop item , the one that goes in the plug end. I wouldn't mind something g that's unobtrusive. I already ride with a Dinotte rear light at all times on full blast, including during the day.

My buddy has a small mirror on his Schlitter recumbent, that's a must-have item for sure in that kind of bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
My one comment on the long post: Mirrors are criminally underused by cyclists because they're "uncool". I got used to having them on recumbents and the habit stuck when I went back to DF bikes. Now whenever I head out on a new build to check things out and haven't bothered with the mirror yet, I feel blind. It simply doesn't make sense to be on the road without a clear sight of cars approaching from behind.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs cycles View Post
https://bikinginla.com/2019/01/11/br...-this-morning/
I ride through this spot several times a week. Now I will always wonder if I'm next. Anyone from around there have anymore info?
Paul Smith was a fellow member of my church. Still not a lot of detail regarding the accident, other than he was hit from behind.

Our church has organized a prayer vigil for Sunday at 4:00, at the site of the accident (NE corner of PCH and Seal Beach Blvd).

So sad. Paul was a really great guy.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Which one do you use? I tried the little nub that goes in glasses, wasn't a fan. Am considering the handlebar drop item , the one that goes in the plug end. I wouldn't mind something g that's unobtrusive. I already ride with a Dinotte rear light at all times on full blast, including during the day.

My buddy has a small mirror on his Schlitter recumbent, that's a must-have item for sure in that kind of bike.
I tried the nub on glasses, my old man eyesight can't even see it. I use the barend type on drops and the tall Mirrycle for flatbars. The drops one isn't quite as up there where you really want it, but good enough without making the bike look completely ridiculous. The Mirrycle on flats is the bee's knees for a sit-up shopper/commuter.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:05 PM

How about this one?

I'm gonna order this and try it on a bike. Will see how it looks & works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I tried the nub on glasses, my old man eyesight can't even see it. I use the barend type on drops and the tall Mirrycle for flatbars. The drops one isn't quite as up there where you really want it, but good enough without making the bike look completely ridiculous. The Mirrycle on flats is the bee's knees for a sit-up shopper/commuter.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM

My first day day back was 1 divorce, 1 death in the family. And I'm dealing with breast and mouth cancer, Alzhimers x 2 and dementia. I'm also not lucky enough to have three funerals this year.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:47 PM

So sad, I'm very sorry for everyone who knew or was related to this rider. I hope authorities will at least take a look at this situation and any remedies.

Last edited by Hawker; 01-12-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Dude, until white folks change their ways....I'm sticking to the dirt

Last thing I want is to get run down by a yoga mom in a Q7 who is struggling with texts/climate control/music choice/kid stress at 8am. It really sucks for the family and friends of the victim. My sincerest condolences

No amount of hyper-vigilance, mirrors, cameras and math is on my side group thought will bring this poor soul back. The world has changed and its dangerous out there. Peace and be well

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
NO, you are not next, if you get fearful you will do stupid stuff and may become next though. If riding PCH scares you then don't ride it, but that's just one crash that resulted in a death, one in how many years? how many riders ride that road? You see, the odds of you getting killed on that road is extremely low, virtually nothing.

I'm not saying you don't need to keep your eyes and ears, yes ears, take those damn earbuds out while riding you need your ears to hear cars coming up from behind to hear if they are gunning their engines to beat you and cut you off at the next cross street. Also you should invest in some sort of mirror, I like the ones that go onto the bar end, the ones that clip onto your glasses leaves a small forward blind spot I don't really care for but not really a big deal. And use your head out there, stop sign/light means you need stop and wait, that is the law anyways unless CA changed that since I've been there; on that same note slow down for yield signs even IF the yield sign is for the opposing traffic and not for you! A lot of dopes driving just run those yield signs like they're not even there. Also at stop signs make sure the other cars stop for their stop signs before you go, and make sure they see you and recognize your presence. You get truck and RV traffic on that road too, NEVER, NEVER pull along side of one, stay behind them about 6 feet (big profile vehicles can roll backwards when they start to go from a stop especially on any type of grade). If you have a bike lane stay in it, if you wonder outside that lane and get hit the blame is on you.

Concerning trucks and large profile vehicles like RV's (RV drivers are amatuer drivers so be wary of them), I want you to watch this video, it's a sad video, but the doctor was not experienced enough to handle the situation she got into. First thing notice she did not stay in the bicycle lane as instructed by signs and codings marked on the bike lane. Second notice what happens when she came along side the truck...warning, it's not good!

https://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

At 45 seconds you can see the bike lane clearly marked and there is a rider in that lane like he's suppose to be, where is the doctor? she's not where she was suppose to be. The Trucker is clearly signalling his intentions to turn, he swings the truck wide which is what he's supposed to do if he doesn't want to take out street lights and fire hydrants. The little law stuff that pops up is due to drama, the cyclist was suppose to be in the bicycle lane that was clearly marked and that law in that city takes over the law that the video posted; and the lane she was in was clearly marked as a bus stop which is why the city put the bike lane one lane over to prevent a bus from doing the same thing. So she was too inexperienced for that situation, she had no idea about big trucks and their lack of turning nor about their lack of visibility, had she slowed down and stayed behind the truck she would have been fine but she didn't she kept pedaling on. If that same situation did not have a bike lane then she should have taken the lane, meaning riding down the center of the lane, she was going fast enough she was keeping up with traffic and actually going faster than traffic, if that were the situation the right lane is where she should have been as she was, (unless that right lane turns into a turn land and she wanted to go straight then she would have needed to merge into the left lane so cars opposing her from the front wouldn't think she's going to turn and thus causing another accident), but again she would have needed to take the lane. If you notice that other cyclist back at the 45 second mark I think he was too far to the left on that lane, he should have centered it, but he does go back to center once he gets going, not sure what his rational was for doing that, I use to live and ride in Los Angeles and I never did that but maybe he knows something either I don't see from the video or knows something else I don't. The hit and run issue is iffy, trucks are large and driver is very isolated from knowing what he hit, he did run over the curb so I'm assuming he thought he ran over the curb, and CF bikes and a body crush very easily so again I think running over the curb fooled the driver into thinking he didn't hit something else.

Here is what the Boston police said about that: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...yCL/story.html

In that above site they talk about truck blind spots, this is a serious situation that ALL bike riders need to know about, so look at this to understand why this is serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-rhiGRFTE Now understand something here, yes there are blind spots, but the driver needs to be aware at all times, and by moving and leaning around the driver can see more than the above film shows, but most don't, yes that's their fault but that's why you need to be aware of that problem. Don't blame the truck driver for failing to see you when you should have taken measures to counter that, don't be dead right!

There is a family lawsuit against the driver and the company, as far as I know that is still outstanding, but jurys tend to go for the injured party right or wrong; and also most of the time they will settle out of court because the years of litigation is expensive so might as well just pay what the litigation could cost and any suspected award.

I don't even come alongside a car on the right due to that same issue, the driver won't look, turns and hits you. I take the lane at all times, if there is a bike lane on the right then I stay behind the car anyways while staying in the bike lane if an intersection is coming with my hands ready to hit the brakes, and watching for turn signals though most don't use these anymore, if I stop for a red light in that same bike lane I may pull along side and look at the driver and wave to get their attention that I'm there, and will point my intentions to go straight and will say I'm going straight.

Speaking of turn signals, don't rely on the motorist using these, expect the car to turn regardless if the signal is used or not and be ready to stop.

I'm sorry if I went on and on about this but I wanted to bring people on this forum to an awareness as to how dangerous it can be around large profile vehicles, and maybe it might save the life of someone here because now they're armed with that knowledge.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Paul Smith was a fellow member of my church. Still not a lot of detail regarding the accident, other than he was hit from behind.

Our church has organized a prayer vigil for Sunday at 4:00, at the site of the accident (NE corner of PCH and Seal Beach Blvd).

So sad. Paul was a really great guy.
Come on man, this is just fear mongering, there's no reason for this. A lot of people die driving cars, so what? do we all stop driving? No; nor are we going to be stopped by fear from riding our bikes.