Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM

OT: Buy out the lease, lease again, buy CPO?

All things being equal, I've been kicking around the idea of buying out the lease on our odyssey. The new ones, while great, lack some of the creature comforts we have in our current one until you get to the upper echelon. I'd imagine leasing a new one is going to be a bit more expensive than our current payment.

Buying ours out, 72 months at 3.69% gives us a payment that's dollars off from our current payment, but we'll actually own it. I have no qualms paying for the car that long, as I'd be doing the same leasing the next (and the next after that), the honda will run forever so long as we keep taking care of it.

Buying a CPO'd, I'd have to figure the only benefit to that is the extended warranty, but most of them are coming in more expensive than what I'd be looking at to buy mine with the same features, and I'd not know the history of it.

So all things being equal, and understanding I'm *never* buying the car outright with cash -- how would you proceed?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
All things being equal, I've been kicking around the idea of buying out the lease on our odyssey. The new ones, while great, lack some of the creature comforts we have in our current one until you get to the upper echelon. I'd imagine leasing a new one is going to be a bit more expensive than our current payment.

Buying ours out, 72 months at 3.69% gives us a payment that's dollars off from our current payment, but we'll actually own it. I have no qualms paying for the car that long, as I'd be doing the same leasing the next (and the next after that), the honda will run forever so long as we keep taking care of it.

Buying a CPO'd, I'd have to figure the only benefit to that is the extended warranty, but most of them are coming in more expensive than what I'd be looking at to buy mine with the same features, and I'd not know the history of it.

So all things being equal, and understanding I'm *never* buying the car outright with cash -- how would you proceed?

Talk to your dealer. I bought an Audi we had leased at the end of the lease, and was able to buy CPO coverage for just under $1,000. I bought the CPO because my original new car warranty would be expiring shortly, I knew the car would need wheel bearings at some point soon, and those would be covered under the warranty if I went CPO and the original warranty was expired. I financed a good chunk of the car’s cost, and the monthly payments were less than the monthly lease payments.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Talk to your dealer. I bought an Audi we had leased at the end of the lease, and was able to buy CPO coverage for just under $1,000. I bought the CPO because my original new car warranty would be expiring shortly, I knew the car would need wheel bearings at some point soon, and those would be covered under the warranty if I went CPO and the original warranty was expired. I financed a good chunk of the car’s cost, and the monthly payments were less than the monthly lease payments.
Did you finance thru audi or a third party?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Classics Fan

3.69% feels high to me. But I haven't looked at used car rates recently. If the rate is that high, I'd try to finance for a shorter term -- just to save money on interest.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Did you finance thru audi or a third party?
Audi Financial Services. It was a pretty straightforward and smooth transaction. CPO is essentially insurance you purchase from the manufacturer/finance company. It is worth it for an Audi because repairs can be expensive, I’ve never driven a Honda, so you know better that me.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Get one of these, and just stick the girls in your spiffy new roof basket

But in the big picture CPO is nice (depending on brand and what the offer) because it guarantees you'll get the car with good tires/brakes etc and be covered in case of any big repairs for the duration of the warranty which is hopefully most of the loan..
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
3.69% feels high to me. But I haven't looked at used car rates recently. If the rate is that high, I'd try to finance for a shorter term -- just to save money on interest.
That does seem a bit high; we are paying just over 2% on my wife's car loan (though it is only a 36-month loan).
Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM

3.69 is high. I just bought a crv for the wife this past weekend at 2.9. Are you a USAA member? Try them or penfed.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
3.69 is high. I just bought a crv for the wife this past weekend at 2.9. Are you a USAA member? Try them or penfed.
I should mention, that's just a quick quote I got from Chase when looking at auto loans. The 72 months is a little higher, but the 60 month puts the payment somewhere out of my comfort zone.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I should mention, that's just a quick quote I got from Chase when looking at auto loans. The 72 months is a little higher, but the 60 month puts the payment somewhere out of my comfort zone.
Try your luck at new, you may get a much better, like .9% and a really good deal that will outlast your current vehicle.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Try your luck at new, you may get a much better, like .9% and a really good deal that will outlast your current vehicle.
Unfortunately I can't even consider a new finance. We wouldn't have the down payment to get the payment into an appropriate level, which is why we've leased the last two vans. To get into a comparably equipped new odyssey, we're looking at $39460 base.

Unless of course they offer the SE trim down the line that includes the media package at a cheaper price. But until the kids are able to do 24 hour road trips to disney without a dvd player, we're kind of stuck keeping that feature.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM

If you're coming up on the end of a three year lease term, taking a 72 month note is madness. Taking 9 years to pay for the car is ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't even consider a new finance. We wouldn't have the down payment to get the payment into an appropriate level, which is why we've leased the last two vans. To get into a comparably equipped new odyssey, we're looking at $39460 base.

Unless of course they offer the SE trim down the line that includes the media package at a cheaper price. But until the kids are able to do 24 hour road trips to disney without a dvd player, we're kind of stuck keeping that feature.
Or grab a new one sans DVD player built in and just get them the little kids Kindle or a portable DVD player each. That would run you ~$300 rather than a ton on the car
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you're coming up on the end of a three year lease term, taking a 72 month note is madness. Taking 9 years to pay for the car is ridiculous.
we're about 19 months into a 36 month term. But I've just been thinking/considering what the options are.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I would make do with a lower cost new(er) vehicle financed conservatively for 4 years max and hold for 6+ more years after last payment.