Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 AM

Walking back from Ocean City NJ beach to our hotel this was parked out front. This is one of six currently traveling the country. Yes, that's me doing my best Vanna White.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
It sort of makes me think about the recent bicycle land speed record, which seemed to me both awesome and nuts. And . . . not to take anything away from the accomplishment, made me wonder whether there are category records -- for example, a record for a bicycle that can be pedaled from a standing start, or without a slipstream, etc. There's the hour record, of course, which has its own rules, but I'm wondering about these land speed records.
The IHPVA (International Human Powered Vehicle Association) maintains rules and records for most of these events. They have different categories for standing starts, flying starts, lemans starts, etc., for records over distances, times, etc. However, they don't certify any motor-paced speed records, as they are not entirely "human powered".

http://www.ihpva.org/hpvarech.htm

Denise Mueller-Korenak's recent motor-passed speed record is probably not an "official record", as there is no sanctioning body that regulates and certifies such records.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 PM

Raesr Tachyon Speed

https://www.raesr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
This thing was parked up on Saddle Peak on Saturday. I honestly have no idea what it is, but note the Formula 1 style detached steering wheel (I assume taken off in order for the driver to exit the vehicle).

Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Most obscure i've even seen on the road was a VW Hebmeuller.

As a VW enthusiast, it was a huge thrill to see it. I don't know who was more surprised- me to see it or the driver who couldn't believe there was a hyper-19 year old frantically waving and gesturing next to him on the highway.

I also like seeing other VW/Porsche coachbuilts like Romesches and Beutlers, but I don't think car shows count, no?
I would have done the same thing!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM

My wife texted me a few days ago telling me she saw this:

I had no there was such a thing! http://nutmobile.planters.com/nutmobile-features

Greg
Old 02-22-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Raesr Tachyon Speed

https://www.raesr.com
Well done!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM

image.jpg

Chrysler Valiant Charger c. 1971

Won't mean much other than to Kiwi and Aussie viewers but not often seen in this condition these days.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:20 PM
v a n i l l a

I saw a Lamborghini Urus today...does that count?

Old 03-03-2019, 08:53 AM

how about a Lotus 340R ? Now that's a rare car.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Happened to come across a 1965 Lamborghini Miura while out on a recent ride.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Slim View Post

winner.....
Old 03-04-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Now THAT's one you don't see everyday! Where is that at? It looks like the corner of Lime Creek Road and Anderson Mill. If so, that would be a fun car on Lime Creek.

EDIT - OK, actually it doesn't look like that intersection after looking closer, but what a cool car!

Here's a cool sequence with a Miura in it for those that haven't seen the original Italian job - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kruC2s5xtcQ . Another factoid, Eddie Van Halen has had one for over 30 years! The sound of its motor rev'ing was featured in the song Panama.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 03-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Now THAT's one you don't see everyday! Where is that at? It looks like the corner of Lime Creek Road and Anderson Mill. If so, that would be a fun car on Lime Creek.

EDIT - OK, actually it doesn't look like that intersection after looking closer, but what a cool car!

Here's a cool sequence with a Miura in it for those that haven't seen the original Italian job - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kruC2s5xtcQ . Another factoid, Eddie Van Halen has had one for over 30 years! The sound of its motor rev'ing was featured in the song Panama.

Texbike
You were right the first time. The intersection of Lime Creek and Anderson Mill. It was around noon on a Monday which might be his regular run. I pointed out we both had Campagnolo wheels. He ripped off a couple of sweet sounding shifts leaving down Anderson Mill.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You were right the first time. The intersection of Lime Creek and Anderson Mill. It was around noon on a Monday which might be his regular run. I pointed out we both had Campagnolo wheels. He ripped off a couple of sweet sounding shifts leaving down Anderson Mill.
Nice! I thought that it looked familiar. However, when you look at the Google map of that corner, the pictures are old enough that there aren't any of the houses on the other side of Anderson Mill. It made me question my guess.

That's actually one of my favorite driving routes - take 2222 West out across 620 to Volente, turn right onto Lime Creek, and right on Anderson Mill to go back home. Puts a few nice little twisties in your path.

Texbike
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 AM
Strong Walker

Lotus Elite, supercar with the performance of a medium-hot hatchback, the looks of a kitchen appliance and the maintenance costs of a trophy wife

Last edited by martl; 03-20-2019 at 09:34 AM.