Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Vendor

I'm a size 9. Looks like I need to roll over to my local shop and test out a few. I think they've got a 20 or 30% off sale going on right now. I can barely walk around my local grocery store in the Chromes without my heels getting rubbed raw. They've already put a hole in my favorite wool socks while I was trying to tough it out and break them in.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:50 PM

I have 5 10 freerider and freerider pros. For technical mountain biking I prefer the pros as the sole shape is a bit less curved. The freerider is fine though and are nice to walk in and cheaper.
I wouldn’t want to trail ride in any other flats.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 AM

Does anybody know how the Freeriders fit ie are they on target with American sizing, a 10 = a 10?

Do they run wide, narrow or somewhere in-between?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Does anybody know how the Freeriders fit ie are they on target with American sizing, a 10 = a 10?

Do they run wide, narrow or somewhere in-between?

Thanks
I’m a 10.5 with a bit wider foot but not too wide. I upsized from 10.5 to 11 and have plenty of room.
I’d say they’re on size but if you like a larger toe box then a 1/2 size up wouldn’t hurt.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I’m a 10.5 with a bit wider foot but not too wide. I upsized from 10.5 to 11 and have plenty of room.
I’d say they’re on size but if you like a larger toe box then a 1/2 size up wouldn’t hurt.
I second that. I am between 9 and 9.5 depending on brand with wider toes. 9.5 is just right.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Another vote for Adidas Sambas. I have elastic triathlon laces in them and they slip on and off hands free. I have flat pedals on a few of my bikes so I can just hop on and ride.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I second that. I am between 9 and 9.5 depending on brand with wider toes. 9.5 is just right.
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna pick a pair of these up. Usually, when I find a cycling shoe I really like, I'll buy a couple pairs to have in reserve.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:15 AM

It depends what type of riding you want to do. I personally find Five Tens too grippy for anything other than downhill MTBing.

Sambas are okay, but are a little underbuilt. BMX or skate shoes tend to be the best IMO; Etnies, Vans, Nike, Lotek etc.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna pick a pair of these up. Usually, when I find a cycling shoe I really like, I'll buy a couple pairs to have in reserve.
In our house, we call that having a pair on ice. its the way to go.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
It depends what type of riding you want to do. I personally find Five Tens too grippy for anything other than downhill MTBing.

Sambas are okay, but are a little underbuilt. BMX or skate shoes tend to be the best IMO; Etnies, Vans, Nike, Lotek etc.
Check out the Five Ten Sleuth and Spitfire if you are looking for a skate style sneaker, and the District Flats for a business casual commuter shoe.

I’ve ridden the Spitfires and Sleuths (plus the discontinued Dirtbag) that share the same cupsole platform that’s more flexible and lighter than the Freeriders.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Adidas 5.10 Sambas!

The official Adidas-Five Ten answer to Sambas vs Five Tens — both!

Check out the Sleuth DLX for the 5.10 stealth sole with a Samba-like upper. It’s
logo’ed with both brands, too.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...C0659-9.5.html
Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Vendor

I ended up going with the 5.10 Freerider Pros and One-up pedals. I liked the tighter fit, weight, and slimmer profile of the Pros. I haven't had a chance to get out on a real ride yet. The pins on those One-ups look scary. My shins were shaking just looking at them.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I ended up going with the 5.10 Freerider Pros and One-up pedals. I liked the tighter fit, weight, and slimmer profile of the Pros. I haven't had a chance to get out on a real ride yet. The pins on those One-ups look scary. My shins were shaking just looking at them.
Just keep in mind there is a balance between the rubber and pins as well as personal preference on how stuck to the pedal you want to be.

I prefer to feel planted but be able to easily adjust my position on the pedals so I run 5.10s with small pin Blackspire Sub3 pedals. I did not like the excess grip of the 5.10s with big pin pedals. Too much grip like a cleat with no float for me. I use that example specifically because float is important to me so I run Frogs on anything clipless. YMMV on just how connected you want to be.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Just keep in mind there is a balance between the rubber and pins as well as personal preference on how stuck to the pedal you want to be.
+1 on YMMV. It probably goes without saying, but with any changes to pedal/shoe combo, it’s best to start with short rides and make adjustments until everything is just right according to your preferences.

Pedals with removable pins allow some combination of long pins, short pins, or removing pins.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Vendor

I took the pedals/shoes out for a short ride today. It's an odd feeling being stuck in one position. I didn't really notice the float in my clips until it was gone. Another thing it made clear is how much my technique has declined since my BMX/early mtn biking days where all I used were flats. I used to be able to bunny hop a decent stack of skateboard decks. Now I'm down to about the height of a curb (with spds). Today I couldn't even manage to get the rear wheel up with the flats.