Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 10:42 PM

DC visit: Any recommended steel-centric bike shops?

Vintage also cool. Thanks for any tips Paceliners. Cheers.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:02 AM

Not in DC proper but Velo Classique in Purcellville is a well known vintage shop.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Second nothing in DC. area, but a good shop especially for custom frames is Parvilla Cycles, just outside of DC closer to Annapolis.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Doesn't College Park Cycles (just over the line in Maryland, but metro-accessible, and definitely a DC burb) still have a bunch of steel frames? I haven't been there in at least a few years, but they used to have a whole lot hanging up, if not the most contemporary frame builders.

There are a bunch of shops that may have this or that, but not a whole lot for browsing -- the Pro Shop might have a Colnago steel frame or two, but it's mostly non-ferrous stuff. Likewise for places like Spokes (I think that they're a Seven dealer still).
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Bicycle Space Downtown (440 K St NW) has plenty of steel framed bicycles including All City, Surly, Linus, Handsome, Pashley and Brompton.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Doesn't College Park Cycles (just over the line in Maryland, but metro-accessible, and definitely a DC burb) still have a bunch of steel frames? I haven't been there in at least a few years, but they used to have a whole lot hanging up, if not the most contemporary frame builders.
Knowing Larry, yes, there should be several vintage steel frames hanging. Further out but his Mount Airy shop should still have interesting items as well.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM

I would make a hesitant recommendation to visit Bike Club in Falls Church VA. There are some real gems in there somewhere - masi, daccordi, serotta, mel pinto, nishiki, shogun, and a ton of vintage parts (there is a brand new in box Dura Ace 7400 groupset somewhere in there). Over the past few years I bought a C40 and two Waterford Paramounts. The hesitation is that it is not always the easiest place to visit. Not everything is accessible or can be seen.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:24 PM

DC visit: Any recommended steel-centric bike shops?

All you see people riding around here is plastic, to be honest. I would go to philly or someplace if you’re looking for more modern high end steel.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Knowing Larry, yes, there should be several vintage steel frames hanging. Further out but his Mount Airy shop should still have interesting items as well.
Its been a while since I have been there I forgot all about him. Yes, I agree he would definitely have a nice inventory.

Last edited by MoparPorsche; 02-22-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
You should check out Mr Black's webpage to get a sense of scale of what you can find. No promise it will be in one of the shops though as if memory serves he's got a pretty big warehouse somewhere as well.

https://www.bike123.com/bike-list/
(has a pretty good search feature)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 PM

A lot of good leads here!... thank you all.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
You should check out Mr Black's webpage to get a sense of scale of what you can find. No promise it will be in one of the shops though as if memory serves he's got a pretty big warehouse somewhere as well.

https://www.bike123.com/bike-list/
(has a pretty good search feature)
At one time it was his houses..................

If he ever sells those big wood rollers...............man, the races we had on those things.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 AM

Should also note that Veo Classique has new Somec & Lynskey frames and bikes on display.

Their vintage stuff is some of the best I've seen in any retail setting anywhere, period.