Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Tubeless failure at colder temps?

So Last night I got home from work and decided to take my Drifter out. I got all geared up and loaded the bike up on my truck and drove down to a trail. I checked the bike over before leaving the house.

I mounted the bike and started to pedal and felt the rear tire go soft. I dismounted and looked at the bike and sealant was coming out of both tires. The rear was just about empty. I’m assuming this happened because of the -20+ degree temperature change from my bike room to outside? Anybody else ever have this happen? Is it better to run tubes in the cold winter months?

On the brighter side of things I ended up driving home and taking out the Kirk as it is being run with inner tubes and a dynamo. Glad I had such a great back up and I really enjoyed riding it after the sun had gone down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 AM

I’ve had no issues on tubeless in the snow on my fatbike in temps below 0F. Re-seating and adding sealant may be all you need. FWIW, I’ve had no issues with either Stan’s or Orange Seal, although in general I’m happier with Orange Seal.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this thread from the classifieds to the general section.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 PM

Innertubes.

Always ready to save the day.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Can someone explain to me what's the advantage of tubeless for everyday riding? for me the sealant seems messy to deal with, once punctured it will act like an tubular. It sure saves some weight and rolling resistance, but for training rides is it worth it?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Can someone explain to me what's the advantage of tubeless for everyday riding? for me the sealant seems messy to deal with, once punctured it will act like an tubular. It sure saves some weight and rolling resistance, but for training rides is it worth it?
Tubeless is for Mountain bikes not road bikes, just like disc brakes
Where is the ducking emoji
I had a early tubeless road wheelset and it was horrible, I am sure they are better, but if I am riding clinchers they have a tube in them.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Not sure what caused the OPs failure (though I too don't think it was just temperature differential), but for me, tubeless has been issue free for the past several years. This is everything from 28mm tires on up to 4.8" fatties, from 100F to subzero, paved to chunky steep singletrack, fast pacelines to leisurely cruises with the fam. I just don't worry or even think about my tires anymore. Air pressure check before the ride, sealant check once or twice a year. Other than that, i just ride. I'm pretty sure that the spare tube I carry "just in case" is probably rotted and non-functional at this point.

I have a box of flatted tubes in need of a patch that suggests it wasn't always this way.

That's one data point on the advantages of tubeless.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I actually am going tubular on my road wheels (on the disc brake bike) because I actually think tubeless is great for training. My other wheels had gravel king, 32mm, tubed. They have been great but I do get flats, specially lately with all the snow and dirt, tires pick up a lot of crap and man are they cut to ****.

Tubeless is great in that all the little glass cuts and shards just get plugged up real quickly, great for training/winter rides really. In summer I rarely have gotten flat with tubes but winter is a mess so tubeless should either solve or minimize flats (I commuted tubeless when I lived in NYC for a couple of years, it was great, no flats and man are the streets of NY riddled with glass).

Also tubeless is not that hard to set up or maintain, I am not sure why people think that.

_______

Also I know OPS bike and that kind of bike you want tubeless for sure... Not sure what happened and its really bizarre... I have not had that issue and just yesterday went from 65 degrees inside the house to 35 outside with my tubeless set (actually probably same wheels and tires you used... Reynolds ATR with gravelking 48mm

Last edited by R3awak3n; 02-22-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM

I regularly take my MTB from a warm basement to outdoors without any issue with tubeless sealant.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what's the advantage of tubeless for everyday riding?
I am only using tubeless on my gravel bike and mtb, not road. But I think I probably will switch. I had 20 flats on my gravel bike the year before I switched. Zero flats since. And I can run lower pressures if I want.

I am not familiar with sealant mess. I add extra using syringes, and I'm not sure I have ever had any sealant on my hands.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:16 AM
bykhed

Yes, this happens to me on my fat bike.

So, if moving from warm to cold, I air up, then drop before the ride....or acclimate the bike outside first.

When it has been very cold this year, the fattie dropped from like 4-5psi down to literally 1/2. While the traction was unreal, it was extremely energy consuming to pedal.

I am using Stans this winter, which is when this phenomena started happening. I may switch back to Orange Seal for next winter as I don't remember having the same issue.

Ride on!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I actually am going tubular on my road wheels (on the disc brake bike) because I actually think tubeless is great for training. My other wheels had gravel king, 32mm, tubed. They have been great but I do get flats, specially lately with all the snow and dirt, tires pick up a lot of crap and man are they cut to ****.

Tubeless is great in that all the little glass cuts and shards just get plugged up real quickly, great for training/winter rides really. In summer I rarely have gotten flat with tubes but winter is a mess so tubeless should either solve or minimize flats (I commuted tubeless when I lived in NYC for a couple of years, it was great, no flats and man are the streets of NY riddled with glass).

Also tubeless is not that hard to set up or maintain, I am not sure why people think that.
Maybe cuz we see here big and small 'stories', good and often bad, about the pitfalls and difficulty of tubeless..Both setup and maintenance..like the OPs..
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 AM

I haven't experienced this phenomenon since that happened and the bike is still set up tubeless. Granted it hasn't seen much action in a few months, but I do still prefer running this particular bike tubeless.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
So Last night I got home from work and decided to take my Drifter out. I got all geared up and loaded the bike up on my truck and drove down to a trail. I checked the bike over before leaving the house.

I mounted the bike and started to pedal and felt the rear tire go soft. I dismounted and looked at the bike and sealant was coming out of both tires. The rear was just about empty. I’m assuming this happened because of the -20+ degree temperature change from my bike room to outside? Anybody else ever have this happen? Is it better to run tubes in the cold winter months?

On the brighter side of things I ended up driving home and taking out the Kirk as it is being run with inner tubes and a dynamo. Glad I had such a great back up and I really enjoyed riding it after the sun had gone down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for the trouble but at least you got a ride.

That said the bike switch and bailing on the Drifter is the thing that sits with me most. If you can't just air it back up in the field and keep on pedalling it seems like a terribly frustrating system to me. Why were you not able to do this? No pump, or was it a simple choice because of the mess?

I just would not have the patience to deal with that. I'm pretty sure the day I went for a ride and my Di2 battery died is the day I decided I no longer wanted that bike.

It seems tubeless when dialed and in ideal conditions provides exceptional ride quality and traction but I gotta think tubes as a system still have the most latitude in dealing with flats and air by a large margin. I'm not looking for the 'best" performance or ride quality at all times, I just like to ride bikes.

Sorry for the drift...
Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sorry for the trouble but at least you got a ride.

That said the bike switch and bailing on the Drifter is the thing that sits with me most. If you can't just air it back up in the field and keep on pedalling it seems like a terribly frustrating system to me. Why were you not able to do this? No pump, or was it a simple choice because of the mess?

I just would not have the patience to deal with that. I'm pretty sure the day I went for a ride and my Di2 battery died is the day I decided I no longer wanted that bike.

It seems tubeless when dialed and in ideal conditions provides exceptional ride quality and traction but I gotta think tubes as a system still have the most latitude in dealing with flats and air by a large margin. I'm not looking for the 'best" performance or ride quality at all times, I just like to ride bikes.

Sorry for the drift...
I think I was close enough to my house that I didn't feel like fussing with it at the time. It helped that the MRB was sitting on a hook waiting to be ridden.

I like a plush, but responsive ride. I am definitely not performance driven.
I just like to ride nice bikes and occasionally challenge myself with some climbs or longer mileage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk