Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I like the idea of a 46/33 crank, 10-33 cassette. I would probably prefer an 11-33 cassette if I were to put this on a new gravel bike. I also like their solution for a clutch style rear derailleur.

Street price on a Di2 9170 group is about $2700 That is more than a $1000 less than the equivalent eTap AXS groupset. In a years time the prices might be more in line, but early adopters will be paying a high premium.
yes but $4000 is with the PM so add a PM to that Di2 and You are going to come damn close to the etap.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismo37 View Post
Those groupset prices are ridiculous. Groupsets almost cost more than custom frames now.

Soon we won't be buying bikes any more. Instead, we will be signing 2 year contracts to lease $20K bikes and paying monthly service charges for software updates and data plans to manage our techno e-groupsets.

Gotta rope us in like they have done with our smartphones, Strava/Garmin/GPS apps, cable/internet... blah blah.

Old man rant? Yes. Truth? Hell yes.
Very true. Just received this email. Certified Pre Owned. I think in another month Lease will be in the email.

https://www.theproscloset.com/pages/certified-pre-owned
Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Randomhead

It looks like a really nice set of components. I figure if you are buying something like this, you'll probably want something else by the time the chain rings are so worn they need replacement. Not an old man group, probably have to be 40-ish (or pretending to be 40-ish) to fully appreciate it.

I'm sure they will be making components suitable for grumpy old guys for as long as I can ride a bicycle. Which is good, because I'm pretty grumpy, and I'm not young.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
You probably heard right. There is a non-power meter version that you could add something like a Stages to and then just replace rings as needed.
This answer is so simple and shuts down the power meter replacement convo right away. Ride the non-PM group with Stages or a pedal PM until 3rd party spider / crank PMs become available in 6 months. Replace your non-PM rings to your heart's content.

How is this release any different when a new Shimano crank is released and your older Quarq doesn't work with it? Other than SRAM offering a fundamentally stupid product in tandem with a regular product?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I have rarely ever bought a complete groupset. Seems the new stuff is making it harder and harder to piece together parts bin builds. Too bad as that’s the way I like to do things.

Ita also pretty crazy at how the price of a top spec’d bike is climbing.

What is an s-works tarmac with this group and decent wheels going to sticker for?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Randomhead

groups never work for me either. They are trying to make things worse, or at least more confusing. I use SRAM mtb rear derailleurs with a Shimano CX70 FD and SRAM 10 speed shifters. I haven't felt compelled to go to 11 speed, not sure that setup is possible. I also use long reach rim brakes if I don't go with disc.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have rarely ever bought a complete groupset. Seems the new stuff is making it harder and harder to piece together parts bin builds. Too bad as that’s the way I like to do things.

What is an s-works tarmac with this group and decent wheels going to sticker for?
Not sure but the OPEN UP special Red Etap AXS edition is 10 500 Euros so I bet the tarmac is probably around there as well. Thats about $12000
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM

White Industries also just announced they have an XDR freehub body available for their hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
groups never work for me either. They are trying to make things worse, or at least more confusing. I use SRAM mtb rear derailleurs with a Shimano CX70 FD and SRAM 10 speed shifters. I haven't felt compelled to go to 11 speed, not sure that setup is possible. I also use long reach rim brakes if I don't go with disc.
You can keep using those same derailleurs if you switch to 11 speed SRAM shifters/cassette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleklobbs View Post
How is this release any different when a new Shimano crank is released and your older Quarq doesn't work with it? Other than SRAM offering a fundamentally stupid product in tandem with a regular product?
It's not any different, this forum just loves to poo-poo everything SRAM has ever done.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Isnt this just the nature of the cycle though? We're told nothing works together and in two years you've got eTap derailleurs and KMC chain on a Campy crank and Shimano rear cassette with no real issues.

The tighter and tighter tolerances of all this stuff leaves little wiggle room for proprietary cable pull or other ways to keep you locked into one company's stuff. The 11 speed bits across the Big Three were essentially interchangeable functionally, and that wasn't the case with 9 speed.

You are locked in in the sense the eTap shifters don't talk to the Di2 or EPS bits, but this " we can't mix and match anymore" feels overblown to me.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
yes but $4000 is with the PM so add a PM to that Di2 and You are going to come damn close to the etap.
2x HRD RED $3,648 without power meter. That is a $1000 over a 9170 Di2 group. Add a powermeter to the SRAM group and msrp is $4158
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Totally agreed. A 10-tooth cog is overkill for most riders even with a compact.

I use a 46x11 on my gravel bike and it's plenty for 99.9% of the time. I'd also rather have an 11-33 or thereabouts.

I do like the 46/33 crank option as well.
Since this new crank appears to have a 110bcd bolt pattern, you can easily duplicate the 46/33 gearing by buying TA Specialties chainrings as they offer a 33t chainring. I’ve been using 48/33 for years. Works well and feels like you lowered your rear gearing by one cog. So if you’re using say a 12-28 cassette, it feels like you have a 29t instead.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Gravel Range

The only thing that's very exciting to me about this new eTap group is the ability to mix road and mtn groups with ease.

On a gravel bike you can run a 1x with road shifters, an eagle rear derailleur and 10-50 cassette. You can ever throw a wireless dropper on.

Pretty awesome

Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Since this new crank appears to have a 110bcd bolt pattern, you can easily duplicate the 46/33 gearing by buying TA Specialties chainrings as they offer a 33t chainring. I’ve been using 48/33 for years. Works well and feels like you lowered your rear gearing by one cog. So if you’re using say a 12-28 cassette, it feels like you have a 29t instead.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
I have 46/33 with a TA inner ring on a Rival 22 crank - works like a dream! Wouldn't mind tracking one down for my 6800 crank.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Imagine laying this new Etap equipped bike down?.......replacement costs ......
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Specialized already has the prices up for the complete bikes on their website. Looks like the same price you would pay for the Shimano dura ace di2 model. A staggering $11k for the disc models for both.
Closed Thread