Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Some personal experience....

I used the following seatpost combinations to replace the stock 27.2 Cannondale C2 seatpost on my 2014 CAAD 10 a few years ago to try to eke out a bit more comfort, and the results were:

4 - FSA SLK 27.2 Carbon. Took a decent amount of the road "buzz" out, but didn't seem to appreciably help on bumps resulting from changes of level of more than 1/2"

3 - Focus Concept CPX 27.2 Carbon. Similar in feel to the above FSA SLK seatpost above, but better. Took more road buzz out, and the larger hits were damped more.

2 - Cannondale SAVE 25.4 Carbon with Shim. Very good with road buzz, maybe the Focus was a smidgen ahead, but where this really did work was the big hits. Tons more flex than the Focus and there was a noticeable but pleasant spring-like response to those larger hits, whereas my behind would bob up and down after big hits, but the hit was never transferred directly into my back. Road buzz mitigation is equivalent roughly to going down 15-20 psi vs the stock Alu post, but the big hits is where this shines.

1 - Ergon CF3 / Canyon VCLS 2.0. All the reviews are true, this thing is the real deal. Almost completely eliminates road buzz, and bit hits are dispersed incredibly well - better than even the 25.4 SAVE post. The only downside is that the post is flexy enough that you notice it when putting down the big watts, but otherwise I can't say enough great things. Have three of these now on my various rides. Also, because of the flex the post itself tends to get a bit more scarred at the clamp area, but that's to be expected since it flexes more and doesn't seem to really effect the structural integrity.

Never tried the Specialized CGR, but heard pretty good things about that as long as the weight and look doesn't scare you off.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

In fairness, Cannondale sized down to a 25.4mm seatpost and claimed that it offered an advantage, but I don't know how much they otherwise redesigned the seatpost at the same time. Echoing other opinions (and the calculations of Mark McM), it doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference.

Personally, I'd start by trying this second-hand thudbuster via eBay or this titanium seatpost via eBay and see how those work for you as proof-of-concept.

Or, like a lot of us, you can start looking at frames that use medium-reach brakes that let you go for larger tires...
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

eeSilk is the way to go.. it really works, without a huge weight penalty over a normal post (although I suppose significant over a weenie post.)

I had an ergon CF3 knockoff, and the eeSilk is much better.

The flexy seatposts rely on having a lot of seatpost exposed, so if your frame doesn't have that, they won't be very effective. The eeSilk doesn't suffer that problem, so you get the full effect.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
1 - Ergon CF3 / Canyon VCLS 2.0. All the reviews are true, this thing is the real deal. Almost completely eliminates road buzz, and bit hits are dispersed incredibly well - better than even the 25.4 SAVE post. The only downside is that the post is flexy enough that you notice it when putting down the big watts, but otherwise I can't say enough great things. Have three of these now on my various rides. Also, because of the flex the post itself tends to get a bit more scarred at the clamp area, but that's to be expected since it flexes more and doesn't seem to really effect the structural integrity.
Thanks for that report. I'm so curious about these; the idea of a carbon-fiber leaf spring just makes sense to my wannabe-engineer brain. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try one at some point soon.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta_hat View Post
Anyone have expense with the two and can comment on the added comfort. I’m entertaining the idea of going down in size to a 25.4 seatpost for added comfort for longer rides. Is the idea of added comfort for the 25.4 observable or just a marketing tactic?

Thanks!
Road bicycle?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Has anyone tried the Suntour NCX seatpost?
Old 12-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Never tried the Specialized CGR, but heard pretty good things about that as long as the weight and look doesn't scare you off.[/QUOTE]

So I have the Ergon CF3 on my steel DeSalvo, mostly out of curiosity and I'd say it works well, although that bike is already plenty of compliant. I have been playing around with my Zanc Road bike and managed to squeeze 30s Schwalbe S-Ones for some mix-terrain rides (impressive for a bike with chain stay with 410mm). I have been taking this bike off road to some on mixed terrain with some light gravel. Was thinking I could swap over the Ergon CF3 or go with smaller diameter seatpost to cushion the ride further. I think the Ergon will stay for winter but was thinking of going 25.4 and leave it for the rest of year. The eeSilk does look appealing for winter riding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3115.jpg (134.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:29 PM

Yash, is that you? Gus here.

Quote:

Never tried the Specialized CGR, but heard pretty good things about that as long as the weight and look doesn't scare you off.

So I have the Ergon CF3 on my steel DeSalvo, mostly out of curiosity and I'd say it works well, although that bike is already plenty of compliant. I have been playing around with my Zanc Road bike and managed to squeeze 30s Schwalbe S-Ones for some mix-terrain rides (impressive for a bike with chain stay with 410mm). I have been taking this bike off road to some on mixed terrain with some light gravel. Was thinking I could swap over the Ergon CF3 or go with smaller diameter seatpost to cushion the ride further. I think the Ergon will stay for winter but was thinking of going 25.4 and leave it for the rest of year. The eeSilk does look appealing for winter riding![/QUOTE]
Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
No I would use a shim.
A smaller diameter seat post of any material won't make any difference in comfort....as has been mentioned..tire pressure, tire size, tire construction..'tires'...
Old 01-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Updated

So I ended up switching from Enve 27.2 to a 30.9 Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex seatpost (been using shims to go between different diameter posts), and I can say that is does make difference. I am not going to stretch the truth by saying it acts like a suspension post but it does dampen the medium-large imperfections on the roads of Chicago. Feels like I am riding on 32s instead of the current 28s.

Highly recommend this seatpost!