Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I think that's what we were on. We rode to "watts".
fixed
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM

I don't find any correlation between spin and actual riding. Pretend you aren't on a bike (because you aren't, you are on exercise equipment), hit it hard for an hour, and then go home, happy to have gotten some cardio in.

I find it a little odd that when 60% of Americans are obese, we'd trash any form of exercise. Bravo to any and everyone who is doing work, regardless of type.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM

The women in the spin classes are much better looking than the old guys at the Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.

Option 1: Ride in your own home, on your own bike, on your trainer, to your own music or video/movie. Maybe even with your SO.

Option 2: Drive somewhere to endure all the annoying things previously noted.

I can understand if traveling, you might want to hit a session (I'd rather walk/run on a treadmill though). However, why in God's name would any of us walk in to such a session when we have what we want/need/enjoy in our own home? Motivation from a crowd in a spin class? If we aren't motivated by the goal of staying fit, or getting stronger by riding in our preferred environment, why even bother owning a trainer? If you don't have the mind set to do a hard ride or intervals on the trainer, just spin for 30 minutes, loosen your legs and watch/listen to something light. If you want some social interaction, play basketball at the Y or join and old guys hockey league.

Went to one session with my wife four years ago, to appease her. Never again, NFW, couldn't pay me.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM

Lately, at the gym, I have been pushing a 200 lb weight sled on the 25 yard astro turf runway. Kicks my heart rate waaaay up. 45 minutes of constant pain.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:14 PM

The bike in question (Matrix/Life Fitness IC7) actually has a legit power meter. We've got them in our corporate gym, and you could do a lot worse for serious cycle training. It's quiet, smooth, and broadcasts data to my Garmin or a laptop running TrainerRoad. The only things I don't like is it's a little "too" solid to the point there is no flex, and the OEM saddle and pedals suck (but are easily swapped). It's my preferred weapon for VO2 max intervals, because I can get to the proper resistance way, way faster than shifting or any smart trainer ERG mode I've ever used.

If spin class sucks with these bikes, it's because of how they're used, not the bike itself.

Last edited by mt2u77; 02-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.