Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Did my BB cup start to seize to titanium shell?

Took my aluminum bb shell out of my frame and boy was it tight. When it eventually gave out, there was a loud bang.

Installed the cups earlier this year and it hasnt seen rain. I thought I put enough copper anti-seize but looking at the pictures im not sure if i didnt or if i just wiped whatever was there, away. Too late to know, but it looks like some of those threads are pretty clean.

I did notice on the shell face, there was some corrosion. Not sure what that is.

Were my cups starting to seize? First time owning a ti frame, so...

Old 08-19-2020, 04:45 PM

Not an expert in this but it could be the anti seize doing it's job - meaning the compound gets the reaction but your frame and bottom bracket stay fine. Are you able to clean it all up?
Old 08-19-2020, 05:34 PM
Vendor

It was seized up. The loud bang says so. When you put ti prep on, put A LOT on. I make sure it's coated and then some. And I put it on the cups and the inside of the shell.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It was seized up. The loud bang says so. When you put ti prep on, put A LOT on. I make sure it's coated and then some. And I put it on the cups and the inside of the shell.
That can happen in such a short period of time?
Just asking, not something I've seen happen in under a year.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
That can happen in such a short period of time?
Just asking, not something I've seen happen in under a year.
Absolutely. If you don't put enough grease or prep material it can happen. It's under pressure and the tolerances are tight. It'll start the second you torque it down. I always put a ton of ti prep on. It'll happen on alloy bolts too. Loosen up a Campy, Shimano or SRAM chainring bolt straight from the factory. The make a loud snap noise, break free and you can smell it. They were seized. Most companies don't put grease on things. Especially from the factory.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:12 PM

If you're going to focus on anti-seize products as the preventative, then I suggest applying it to BOTH mating surfaces. The act of threading the cup into the threads will tend to displace the paste.

An even better treatment is to wrap the cup threads in Teflon plumber's tape after applying the paste. That will do wonders for future BB service.

Wrap in a direction that will not cause the tape to unravel as it is threaded into the shell.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
If you're going to focus on anti-seize products as the preventative, then I suggest applying it to BOTH mating surfaces. The act of threading the cup into the threads will tend to displace the paste.

An even better treatment is to wrap the cup threads in Teflon plumber's tape after applying the paste. That will do wonders for future BB service.

Wrap in a direction that will not cause the tape to unravel as it is threaded into the shell.
Acknowledged. I always just greased the shell to make less of a mess, but what youre saying makes sense.

I do the teflon tape for italian threaded stuff, but whats it do in this situation?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Wow you’re making me feel like I should check my bike. I ti-prepped the threads on the frame and bb but didn’t apply any to the face of the bb shell
Old 08-20-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Acknowledged. I always just greased the shell to make less of a mess, but what youre saying makes sense.

I do the teflon tape for italian threaded stuff, but whats it do in this situation?
The teflon tape insulates, or creates a buffer between the aluminum and the titanium. Teflon reacts with neither.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:30 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Loosen up a Campy, Shimano or SRAM chainring bolt straight from the factory. The make a loud snap noise, break free and you can smell it. They were seized. Most companies don't put grease on things. Especially from the factory.
And I thought I was the only person who takes off the chainrings of a new crankset to grease all the bolts and interfaces. But I do it because I'm trying to prevent any potential noise.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
And I thought I was the only person who takes off the chainrings of a new crankset to grease all the bolts and interfaces. But I do it because I'm trying to prevent any potential noise.
Interesting. What grease do you use? I have always put my chainring bolts together with blue loctite