Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
The irony in all the SRAM marketing BS is that they continue to have the worst shifting in the business, even w/ the smaller tooth gap.
I've used Campy 12 and Shimano grx cranks that all have 16-17 tooth jumps with no chain drops and about a dozen easy FD setups. If chain drops are an issue it suggests that SRAM cranks are to blame. I used Campy drive trains for 25 years. SRAM sprocket shifting is every bit as good. I have more range than an all SRAM drive train.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Does anyone know what material the rear derailleur is made from? ...in a derailleur it seems a a bit of a downgrade, and not really projecting the prestige image expected from a top level group.
Same stuff as the mechanical ones are made of, nothing new or different.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I think we’re describing different circumstances. You’re describing differentials while I was describing absolute sizes

I think it was either ZFC or Josh at Silca talked about how larger front chainrings aren’t necessarily more efficient because other than in the straight chainline (ie near middle of cassette) scenario the larger chainring creates a more extreme chain angle.

It’s related to what you’re saying about length of free run of chain. With a 55t front chainring the chain angle at the top and bottom sprockets will be larger than if you have a 50t front chainring, as the free run of chain is shorter.
I can see how the affect of the small (very small) increase in cross-chaining angle with increased chainring size will partially offset the friction losses of larger chainrings, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a case where one completely cancels the other out. I've seen multiple drivetrain tests, which included cross-chaining, and I haven't seen any where larger chainrings had more losses than small chainrings for the same cross-chaining angle.
Old 06-03-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Same stuff as the mechanical ones are made of, nothing new or different.
And what stuff is/are the mechanical ones made of?
Old 06-04-2023, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Nylon
Old 06-04-2023, 07:55 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Nylon
I cannot say for certain but I don't think this is correct.

Campagnolo specifically refers to the material as a "Carbon reinforced technopolymer" - as pointed out, I believe to be the same material they've been using for decades.

but I'm pretty sure it's not Polyamide (Nylon)... it's likely Polyimide, the latter being used in aerospace, automotive, medical etc. Polyimide has completely different mechanical properties than polyamide (Nylon).

In any event, it's carbon + "plastic" (which is effectively what carbon fibre is - fancy plastic.)

Last edited by rain dogs; 06-04-2023 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:34 AM

The new Super Record WRL group has been spotted at the the Tour de Dauphine on the bikes of the AG2R (sponsored by Campagnolo). Interestingly, the photos show the use of chainrings and cassette that are larger than those in the SR WRL group. The larger chainring appears to be a 53t and the small chainring might be a 39t, while the cassette appears to have a 32t large sprocket (which would imply an 11t small sprocket). A few pages ago in this thread I predicted that the pro racing teams would be using SR WRL with the previous generation of 12spd chaiinrings and cassettes.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pro...m-du-dauphine/

Old 06-04-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The larger chainring appears to be a 53t and the small chainring might be a 39t ...
54-39

Blind holes for thru axles?
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
54-39

Blind holes for thru axles?
[/QUOTE]

Aero
Old 06-04-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The new Super Record WRL group has been spotted at the the Tour de Dauphine on the bikes of the AG2R (sponsored by Campagnolo). Interestingly, the photos show the use of chainrings and cassette that are larger than those in the SR WRL group. The larger chainring appears to be a 53t and the small chainring might be a 39t, while the cassette appears to have a 32t large sprocket (which would imply an 11t small sprocket). A few pages ago in this thread I predicted that the pro racing teams would be using SR WRL with the previous generation of 12spd chaiinrings and cassettes.
As bullish as I am on trad/larger front ring ratios, if we want to be intellectually honest about the 'well AG2R made the decision to use 53/39' statement', we have to wait for support from Power2Max for the new BCD.

I suspect if they really wanted to run the new chainrings P2M could have made it happen, but I have no idea on complications around manufacturing a powermeter so gotta give benefit of the doubt in the short term.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
As bullish as I am on trad/larger front ring ratios, if we want to be intellectually honest about the 'well AG2R made the decision to use 53/39' statement', we have to wait for support from Power2Max for the new BCD.

I suspect if they really wanted to run the new chainrings P2M could have made it happen, but I have no idea on complications around manufacturing a powermeter so gotta give benefit of the doubt in the short term.
Except that there are SR WRL sized chainrings currently available for the P2M power meter. One of the "official" chainring combinations for SR WRL is 50/34, and chainrings this size have been available for some time that will fit the P2M spider (in fact I've used that same combination on a P2M power meter). So they must have consciously decided to use the larger chainrings.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:51 PM

looks good to me on the BMC

that bike looks fast. no idea if it is wind tunnel optimized, but the campy wireless looks right at home on a bike like that.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Except that there are SR WRL sized chainrings currently available for the P2M power meter. One of the "official" chainring combinations for SR WRL is 50/34, and chainrings this size have been available for some time that will fit the P2M spider (in fact I've used that same combination on a P2M power meter). So they must have consciously decided to use the larger chainrings.
Fair call
Old 06-05-2023, 06:37 AM

The big ring has 54/39 printed on it.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Bike designers are really losing imagination.

"CREATE SPEED" in huge block text on the DT? They can't do better than that to create some excitement for their brand?