Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 02:54 PM

yes it is too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
I moved from San Diego in '96, so it was still going at the time.
Was one of my more favorite rides.
I know in the days immediately following 9/11 that the base was closed to bike traffic

Sorry to hear that ride is no longer. It used to be pretty epic. Hegg, Horner, LA-Sherrifs, Paula Newby-Fraser, a bunch of pro-tri folks. Fast as . .
been a few years for me, but assuming base access hasn't changed, you could still register to ride on bae, but only on vandergrift and las pulgas, Basilone had a number of serious accidents, and while I think nearly all had no bikes involved, the narrow road and the large "water mitigation" curbs (which have caused too many sleepy marines racing back to Camp Horno etc to FLIP their vehicles) made them ban cycling there.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:25 PM

I ride out of PB almost every weekend. Usually north, occasionally down to IB and around the Strand.

I'm doing the Wafer Ride in June so I've been venturing further north to get familiar with the local gravel.

My typical gravel training ride is in Penasquitos Canyon - right near CV.

Thinking about PB to Double Peak this weekend. 33 miles one way 2500' of climbing. Then limp home somehow...
Old 02-25-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
I ride out of PB almost every weekend. Usually north, occasionally down to IB and around the Strand.

I'm doing the Wafer Ride in June so I've been venturing further north to get familiar with the local gravel.

Thinking about PB to Double Peak this weekend. 33 miles one way 2500' of climbing. Then limp home somehow...
Where are you at in PB ?

Im part way up Mt Soledad

Old 02-25-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post

Sounds like a great route! I’ll have to check out Double Peak....that’s only 10mi from me. I rode up Black Mtn tonight. 1st I tried it in January on my gravel bike and got crushed on the descent.....too skinny tires (38c!) and rigid frame. I rode up tonight on my Evil Wreckoning and had a blast crushing it.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 PM
Deconditioned!

I'd ride with ya all day if I were down there!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Where are you at in PB ?

Crown Point side. Reed Ave.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Where are you at in PB ?

I used to live on Thunderbird Lane. I spend a fair bit of time at the dog park near the bottom of Soledad Mtn. Road and I frequently see a tall very senior rider riding up/down the mountain. He looks like a serious age-group racer. Is that you? I don't remember seeing him riding with anyone else but he could be doing some hard training during the week so he can dominate his weekend group.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:07 AM

I pretty sure it's Vandegrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
been a few years for me, but assuming base access hasn't changed, you could still register to ride on bae, but only on vandergrift and las pulgas, Basilone had a number of serious accidents, and while I think nearly all had no bikes involved, the narrow road and the large "water mitigation" curbs (which have caused too many sleepy marines racing back to Camp Horno etc to FLIP their vehicles) made them ban cycling there.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I used to live on Thunderbird Lane. I spend a fair bit of time at the dog park near the bottom of Soledad Mtn. Road and I frequently see a tall very senior rider riding up/down the mountain. He looks like a serious age-group racer. Is that you? I don't remember seeing him riding with anyone else but he could be doing some hard training during the week so he can dominate his weekend group.
Hey Ken,

Is there a preferred/better route up Soledad, especially coming from the north? I've yet to venture all the way up there (have ridden down to La Jolla from CV, but ran out of time to get all the way up Soledad).

Most direct looks like Hidden Valley/Capri, but that also looks gnarly steep. I'm Thinking Nautilus is prob my best best without having to ride all the way south to Soledad Mtn. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:28 PM

There are about 8 ways up. All unique.

Via Capri and Pacifica are probably the toughest. VC is dangerous I think. Lots of cars.

Nautilus is a good way up coming from the North except that you have to ride through the village to get there - keep your head on a swivel.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:53 PM

ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I pretty sure it's Vandegrift
there is no end to spellchecking my posts, my ;eft hand has some issues from C6 radiculopathy, and I often hit the wrong key, two adjacent keys and "dyslexic" order of keys. i catch some, google spell catches others, and many sail through
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Hey Ken,

Is there a preferred/better route up Soledad, especially coming from the north? I've yet to venture all the way up there (have ridden down to La Jolla from CV, but ran out of time to get all the way up Soledad).

Most direct looks like Hidden Valley/Capri, but that also looks gnarly steep. I'm Thinking Nautilus is prob my best best without having to ride all the way south to Soledad Mtn. Thoughts?
Hidden Valley to Via Capri is great if you want to train for the Angliru climb.
There's a lot of traffic on that road, limited visibility and no bike lane. Definitely stay alert on that one.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 PM

Although I can't remember all the street names involved, there is a pretty chill route up if you turn off of Nautilus up Muirlands.

As someone else noted, one of the fun things about Mt. Soledad is that there are many ways to reach the top. It's kind of a trek from where I live, so I haven't been there in a while.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
Hidden Valley to Via Capri is great if you want to train for the Angliru climb.
There's a lot of traffic on that road, limited visibility and no bike lane. Definitely stay alert on that one.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/vu...43/video.shtml

Yep that looks like Via Capri, it makes you want to get off and walk

Old 02-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Where are you at in PB ?

Im part way up Mt Soledad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
LOL if we are thinking of the same guy, I see him all the time, now he is like 80 and still slowly grinding up and all around Mt Soledad a few times a week.

I hope I can still ride when Im his age, much less do the climbing he does.