Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 10:26 AM

I was thinking about how SRAM inherited the sachs dirt derailleur design , I think, which is kind of the root of their plastic derailleur technology they kept built their early MTB derailleur business on. I may have it backwards though.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...erailleur.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Just one note...SRAM killed Sachs after they bought it. The chains were the only components to soldier on( which originally were Sedis) The New Success level components were very good and had carved out a decent niche in the market ( less in the US), but the big parent company lost interest in the end and sold the division off. At the time the companies had some kind of a dispute over grip shifters if I recall, so it seemed an odd marriage of former competitors/combatants...

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 02-24-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:39 AM

I see the spirit of AVID as being lost. Avid made the best possible no compromise brake systems. I think the last attempt at this was probably Arch Supremes. I don't see that spirit alive anywhere within SRAM today. Perhaps I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
As for Avid and TruVative, both of those brands were rolled into the SRAM groupsets but their tech lived on long after the label changed. They still offer TruVative bars/stems for flat bar and a crank or two under the TruVative label. Avid is still stamped on the back of every RD with an integrated rollamajig but the brakes have thankfully moved on.

RockShox is definitely in the mix and making great stuff. SRAM has owned them for so long and suspension has improved so much across the board since that acquisition. But they have consistently headed in a positive direction.

Quarq barley existed before SRAM

Zipp has become a better company.

TLDR, SRAM is full of great people that are passionate about their products and company. They've had some bad products, just like their peers but they've worked through them and are making pretty great product across the board.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I see the spirit of AVID as being lost. Avid made the best possible no compromise brake systems. I think the last attempt at this was probably Arch Supremes. I don't see that spirit alive anywhere within SRAM today. Perhaps I am wrong.
Arch Supremes, that was two decades ago! They've made some pretty awesome brakes since then. Unfortunately there's been a couple of collosal failures as well.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-24-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I worry SRAM will cheapen things up is my biggie. I've seen it with everything they've done.
I love Time pedals and can't recommend them enough to people. They float is perfect. Love the engagement, the platform and I've never had a pair break. never even broken one of the spring covers off the back of the original Equipe ones. Love them. I worry they will become a more disposable item like many in the SRAM family.
I would not bet against any of this.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM

Never knew there were issues with Time pedals. Started out on iClics and, once they were discontinued, switched to expressos. Never a problem. Well, ok, the cleats wear out fast-ish (the left one that I disengage at stops is replaced every 6 months it seems). So, I spend $20 on cleats annually. Doesn’t seem much for a pedal/ cleat system that provides great float, is easy to clip in/out of and just works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 03:15 AM

I am a long time Time pedal user. My first real road pedals were Shimano’s then-new SPD-SLs. I never cared for the feel of the “float” on those or their replacement Speedplay Zeros. I picked up a pair of the just released Time RXS Carbon, and loved them. I picked up a deeply discounted pair of Impacts for my rain bike. I ran them for thousands of miles over active and inactive periods on the bike.

A couple of months ago, I purchased a pair of XPro-10s. I love them, so far. They have that same natural self-centering float as the RXS, but on a more stable platform and an astonishingly easy click in.

I hope SRAM doesn’t screw it up.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM

“SRAM buys Time pedals” - I’m glad someone can, have had Cyclos on back order forever...