Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Any owners past or present care to chime in?

My significant other is jonesing for one and I thought I would hear from the collective before we get serious.

Fwiw, her current steed is a Volvo XC90 and she’s looking for something a little sportier, a little smaller, but still luxury oriented and she’d leave me for a heated steering wheel.
People love the Macan. Spend some time on Rennlist...

If you're buying used, $50K buys a nice CPO Cayenne S. Also, btw, if this is a business use car, the Cayenne is eligible for accelerated Section 179 expensing, whereas the Macan is not as it is lighter.

I will probably be buying a Cayenne S later this year. I've thought about the Macan, and will drive one, but I do like the overall size of the Cayenne (wife drives a Q7, which is the same platform, and previously she had a Touareg, which also was the same platform.)

Private mechanic is important...you don't want to pay dealer pricing for work if you can avoid it...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-21-2021, 06:40 PM

The Volvo XC60 T6 Polstar isn't all that dull to drive (ok I have one so I am biased), does it drive like a Porsche? no but it's does drive and handle really nice, has plenty of pep, and has amazing attention to detail in the interior etc.. worth a look for sure.

Though I'll admit I am curios abut the Jag, and like already mentioned the RDX gets great reviews.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
The Volvo XC60 T6 Polstar isn't all that dull to drive (ok I have one so I am biased), does it drive like a Porsche? no but it's does drive and handle really nice, has plenty of pep, and has amazing attention to detail in the interior etc.. worth a look for sure.
Speaking as a former Volvo fanboy, Volvo had excellent ergonomics across the board until it got into the SUV market. I'd rather sit in my old 122S or 1800E than a new Volvo SUV.

The ergonomics of some of the other SUVs are quite excellent. The VAG large platform (Cayenne, Q7) ergonomics are very well thought out. The compact platform can be...I'm mixed on the ergonomics of my daughter's Q5...sometimes I love it, sometimes it just doesn't feel quite right. The Macan is somewhat different than the Q5, and better appointed.

You should drive one. Bring your checkbook.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Go for the XC60 T8 Polestar. And it's a hybrid.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM

Depending on price range, a few other options:

Audi SQ5, RSQ8, RS6

A slightly used SQ5 is a lot of spirited SUV for the money.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 PM

If you don't like your local dealer, look around for a better one, even if far away. We have a Volvo XC60 T6 and it is great and didn't buy it from the dealer literally across the street from where we live. I found a dealer 200 hundred miles away that was great, price customer service were all much better than my local dealer. And they delivered it for free.
The Porsche Macan is very nice and go for it if that is what you want. Also look at an Audi SQ5.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:07 PM

Good stuff, keep it coming. Height is important as she is short and likes to be up a little so she can see around people when pulling out or I would have a wagon in a heartbeat.

Jaguar and rr are a no go for us after our previous dealer experience with Land Rover. I loved the one we had until It didn’t love me back.

The xc90 was a 179 purchase and I would love for her s Corp to reap those advantages again. (Halfway hoping she’ll consider a cayenne just for this reason alone)

Price no object it would be a cayenne hybrid...the fast one. That price is astronomical, though, Imo)

A used cayenne might be the happy compromise here.

Her xc90 is paid off, and has been really reliable, even though it is a bit of a squishy boat. It has been the best road trip car with the adaptive cruise and b&o sound system. Takes the pressure off needing something right now, it is just her want of something new.

I really like the new polestar 2.....seems well designed and looks a bit different than anything else out there. This would be our road trip car though, and all electric won’t do for that yet.

Bmw? Mercedes? Haven’t heard from those camps yet.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 PM

My sister has owned two. She bought the first as she was regularly driving to a mountain property she's been renovating. She likes the gas mileage, the AWD and the safety features. All that on top of the styling and performance.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM

can you do a test drive in Tulsa now? You don't really know until you drive one.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
can you do a test drive in Tulsa now? You don't really know until you drive one.
Yes, just haven’t committed that much yet. The dealer is combined with Mercedes and they are great.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Price no object it would be a cayenne hybrid...the fast one. That price is astronomical, though, Imo)

A used cayenne might be the happy compromise here.
Friend of mine has the 2016 plug in Cayenne hybrid. His two year average mileage is 32 mpg. Lots of around town, along with a surprising amount of highway.

That platform scares me, though. If *anything* goes wrong, you're at the dealer, hoping for the certified guy to be available. While his has been reliable, a few people report issues on the 958 subforum on Rennlist.

There's another useful thread on the 958 forum - what options can't you live without. In my case it's roof rails, air suspension, 14 way or sport seats. Most everything else is negotiable, but a car with air and fancy seats will probably have most everything else. (Roof rails can't be added later). 2017 got Apple Carplay, by the way.

Have fun shopping!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-21-2021, 07:50 PM

2016 Porsche Macan

I have the 2016 Porsche Macan S that I bought new. I liked the fact that I could order the car with only the options that I wanted to buy. If you order the car it takes about 6 months for it to be built and delivered to you.

The Macan S has the six cylinder engine. The Macan has a four cylinder engine. The combined gas mileage for the two is the same around 20-22 mpg. I have driven both and would opt for the Macan S.

The ride in comfort mode is very smooth with well weighted steering feedback and acceleration. The ride in sport mode is more firm and the steering, gear changes and acceleration is quicker.

The maintenance tag for the first 4 years is about $750 - $1,000 per year in California. Our dealer includes pickup and delivery of the car from your home or business for service appointments which I appreciate in this time of Covid 19.

I have put about 30,000 miles on the car since new and the only item I have replaced which was not covered by warranty is the tires. On advice from the local independent mechanic I replaced the factory tires with Michelin tires from Costco and could not be happier. Cost about $1,000 (including alignment elsewhere) and should last longer than factory tires.

I am able to fit one bike, an ice chest, gear bag and medium sized dog crate in the rear hatch area with the seats down.

Options that I bought and love include the 18 way adjustable seats, heated and air conditioned seats, sunroof delete (never use it anyway and save about $2,500), lane change keep, lane change assist and noise and heat cancelling glass that works far better than your typical window tint.

Options that I wish I had bought include the upgraded stereo system, tow hitch and roof rack.

The car has been subject to several recalls all of which have been taken care of free of charge of course. The transfer case has been an issue with the 2016 model year and Porsche extended the warranty to 7 years on my car. Porsche recently replaced the transfer case in my car it performs like new.

If I were to replace my Macan S today, I would buy a dealer certified preowned Macan GTS (the GTS was not offered in 2016). Doing so would not only allow me to take advantage of some depreciation but, I would aim to find a car loaded with options and negotiate a better bargain in the process.

Best of luck with your car hunt. Will be interested to see what is your final decision.

Last edited by BlueHampsten; 02-21-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 PM

I have the Audi Q5, same car as Macan. I have the 3.0tdi in mine and it’s been a great car for the past 4 years. No unexpected expenses, only maintenance costs expect oil changes were the brakes at 120,000kms which isn’t bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 07:57 PM

The Macan is great as long as you are not putting adults in the backseat.

I drove a couple of BMW X5s as they were as small as I could get with room for adults in the backseat and no hump in the floor. Although for the last two years I have not had a car that is big enough for adults in the rear seats.

With the nasty weather in DFW last week I was looking at SUVs again as all three of my cars are rear wheel drive. I am an Alfa guy so I was looking at Stelvio Quadrifoglios, but the color I would buy - Montreal Green -is not out yet. The back seat is too small in the Stelvio also.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHampsten View Post

Best of luck with your car hunt. Will be interested to see what is your final decision.
Nice review! Those are the exact options we would want, plus the stereo and a gts would be great, or a turbo.

I would be interested in a certified used one of it had low miles and was fully loaded.

Used cayenne might win out because of the deduction.