Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 09:17 AM

Pants for Winter Riding?

It's proving to be a dry but cold winter and I need to upgrade my wardrobe to be able to ride semi-regularly. Doe anyone have experience with any insulated pants that they have enjoyed on the bike? So far I am looking at the Pearl Izumi amfib Summits, but open to other reccomendations, especially if there are any cheaper options out there
Old 02-12-2021, 09:32 AM

Years back I bought a pair of cycling pants from REI, lightly insulated, rain/wind resistant, articulated knees. They've worked quite well over the years. I didn't see them in their current offerings though. REI does have a couple amfib models on sale if you haven't looked there.

If you have a local used ski equipment store check their cross country stuff.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 AM

What I have been doing is wearing either leg or knee warmers under or over, my bibs. That really helps my knees with out over insulating elsewhere. I can take them off if I feel the need.

I also have a nice pair of Shimano winter bibs, cannot remember model. They have an almost neoprene like finish and soft, on the thick side insulation. I only wear them when it gets into the mid 20/30 deg. range. Maybe when the temp is a bit higher along a strong wind.

It does not often get into the teens or below where I am.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:10 AM

I have loved the pants I got from REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens

They are insulated in front from the wind, but ventilated in the back so you don't overheat. I wear cycling shorts with a chamois underneath, of course. I wear a pair of tights as well if it's going to be really cold. They aren't a race fit or anything, but no one is out there setting landspeed records when it's 4 degrees out anyway. They fit snug enough that they don't blow around in the wind, which is all I need. They have me out there cycling all winter, which is what's truly important!
Old 02-12-2021, 10:10 AM

For not very cold.... above, say, 40°F, Assos winter tights are pretty amazing for how light and warm something can be.

But for cold weather, I use my x-c ski pants from Sporthill over my riding shorts. You never see these on sale, and the reason is their quality and effectiveness. I can use them down to single digits F without long underwear, when skiing. on a bike they are effective down to about 20°F. They have great stretch, look sharp, block wind, last, and are versatile.

https://www.sporthill.com/mens-xc-pant/
Old 02-12-2021, 10:14 AM

If you want a pant vs a cycling specific tight look at Sporthill XC pants. 3xp fabric is pretty wind proof, warm and they last forever (pricy but worth it)

Cross functional for general use, biking, running,xc ski, snowshoe, etc. I’m using today to fat bike at 10f
Old 02-12-2021, 10:22 AM

I recently bought the regular amfib tights and really like them. Bit bulkier but the material is more insulating and warmer than other tights I have used in the past. I know you are looking at pants but I would think they would both have the same properties.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:30 AM

Pants? or tights?

It's below 20 here...I'll wear Assos Knickers with wool knee socks, along with the Assos tights (bought here used) with the wind block material.

Closer to 30 degrees and I'll swap the wind block tights for my regular Assos tights, still over the knickers and knee socks.

But if you meant riding in some kind of insulated pants, and I'm not sure how these would work for cycling cause I'm a "proper cycling attire" kind of guy, I just bought a pair of Patagonia insulated pants on sale last week and these are pretty warm.

Again, not sure how they would work for riding...https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...ns-pants-jeans

SPP
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 AM

Pants for Winter Riding?

I wear Rapha deep winter tights and if there is precipitation I will throw on some Assos rainproof knickers over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 02-12-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:11 AM

I'm in Denver too. Here's what I use on the bottom for winter riding:

If road/gravel, i.e. lycra appropriate: PI Amfib tights without the chamois over normal bibs if is wet or exceptionally cold (like today!) or Castelli Sorpasso if it's just dry and cold.

If fatbiking or winter mtb or just cruising around: I've tried the Summit AmFib pants in the OP. They are nearly perfect, but the fit is way off. a 30, the smallest they make, is lose on my waist, and all my denim is a comfortable 32. Length and taper is fine, but I returned them because the fit around the waist was so bad. More often, I use my Framed pants. They have a nice taper, are warm without overheating from 0-25F, and have some extra storage for phone or food or wallet placed conveniently to not interfere with pedaling. I also use them for snowshoeing, they get a little hot there. Way too hot for XC ski. Above 25 degrees and mountain biking, I usually throw baggies over tights.

For those using the sporthill or other XC skiing pants - how's the durability? do they abrade in the crotch with all the pedaling?

Last edited by Jaybee; 02-12-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 AM

I live in these much of the winter, biking or not. Picked them up when I bought my Fat a decade ago. 10 plus years and have 3 pairs.

Slim fit, gusseted, articulated etc.

2019 model on sale. 2020 also still available.

https://swrve.us/collections/trouser...36142756266140
Old 02-12-2021, 11:42 AM

Here in Canada, we focus on 3 things: fenders to stay dry, winter cycling shoes so you can feel your toes at the end of a ride, and lots of lightweight layers.

I use 3 layers on the bottom: bib shorts, thermal long-johns, Pearl Izumi winter tights. Works well. My wife does a similar layering system, but will often add leg warmers over top.

Works wonderfully. This enables us to ride through the winter.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:49 AM

These are awesome, in fact just ordered another pair. Price is super good, they're custom, and Lou's a great guy to work with. I love his stuff, got a bunch of it. My son has two pair of the pants also, says they're his instant go-to-pants whenever the temp drops. The pants are his Power Shield Pants, here's a link to his site
http://foxwear.net
Old 02-12-2021, 12:14 PM

I just picked up a pair of the insulated softshell Swrves from ebay, and I'm really enjoying them.

My go-to pants for winter are a pair of wool LL Bean hunting pants. I'll wear them riding when I'm on my cruiser/commuter. The Swrves are definitely more form-fitting and mobile though.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
I just picked up a pair of the insulated softshell Swrves from ebay, and I'm really enjoying them.

My go-to pants for winter are a pair of wool LL Bean hunting pants. I'll wear them riding when I'm on my cruiser/commuter. The Swrves are definitely more form-fitting and mobile though.
good find those swrves. I have been looking for something like that.