Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 07:46 PM

alternative to Conti 5000 TL 32mm?

I was fighting it out in the garage today installing a new Conti 5000 TL tubeless on a Roval carbon rim. It may have won the fight. Not sure yet. If I go down for the count what are folks riding that's as good or better but where you don't say the F-word a lot while installing. I like the idea of 32 or even a little bigger. Strictly pavement. I know Schwalbe comes up a lot but which of their models?
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Fire up a load of towels in the dryer and put the fresh hot towels in a laundry basket with the tires unwrapped for 10 mins to loosen them up a bit. Alternative is to put them in the sun for a bit, but that is highly dependent on your location.

Get bead seated and have the tires holding air before adding sealant.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:57 PM

i got the front on around noon when it was warm

and the tire had been sitting in the sun. Tough but doable. I waited till late afternoon for the rear and got beat up. Maybe tomorrow. What little bitches they are. I have found that I need 3 hands. One to hold each end of the seated bead and a third to lever the unseated part. Otherwise each time I use the lever I unseat a part that was already down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Fire up a load of towels in the dryer and put the fresh hot towels in a laundry basket with the tires unwrapped for 10 mins to loosen them up a bit. Alternative is to put them in the sun for a bit, but that is highly dependent on your location.

Get bead seated and have the tires holding air before adding sealant.

Last edited by eddief; 02-25-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:59 PM

Old 02-25-2021, 08:04 PM

Vittoria

These come in 30mm but the ride is well worth it
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...4aAhN0EALw_wcB

I use a tank of air at 130 psi to mount due to the flexible 320tpi sidewalls
Old 02-25-2021, 08:09 PM

Keep trying it's worth it, nothing is better than that tire IMO.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I was fighting it out in the garage today installing a new Conti 5000 TL tubeless on a Roval carbon rim. It may have won the fight. Not sure yet. If I go down for the count what are folks riding that's as good or better but where you don't say the F-word a lot while installing. I like the idea of 32 or even a little bigger. Strictly pavement. I know Schwalbe comes up a lot but which of their models?
Buy a Kool Stop tire jack. They are inexpensive and work.

https://youtu.be/OCIlMddb4mg
Old 02-25-2021, 08:29 PM

Tthe GP5000 tubeless tires are just bats--t tight. The 25s cause me to struggle, and I put on more tubeless tires than most for sure. Aside from that I think 25mm tires are generally too small to benefit from being tubeless.

Schwalbe Pro Ones are a much more friendly fit, and awesome tires. I am slowly wearing out a set of Ones (not Pro) and they don't quite feel as nice as Pro Ones, but good lord they've been durable. The fully stretched 28s I have installed measure a shade over 30mm on 21.5mm internal rims.

The Vittorias are also excellent, the Corsa Controls still feel wicked fast and have a great ride but have a bit more protection than the full performance oriented Corsa G.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
Tthe GP5000 tubeless tires are just bats--t tight. The 25s cause me to struggle, and I put on more tubeless tires than most for sure. Aside from that I think 25mm tires are generally too small to benefit from being tubeless.

Schwalbe Pro Ones are a much more friendly fit, and awesome tires. I am slowly wearing out a set of Ones (not Pro) and they don't quite feel as nice as Pro Ones, but good lord they've been durable. The fully stretched 28s I have installed measure a shade over 30mm on 21.5mm internal rims.

The Vittorias are also excellent, the Corsa Controls still feel wicked fast and have a great ride but have a bit more protection than the full performance oriented Corsa G.
Strongly agree with all of that.

I would say, they're tight with every rim I've put them on. I've had customers return them because they couldn't fit them on their own. They're just hard tires to put on. As a bit of reassurance, durability is great on the tubeless ones, and you're unlikely to have to take them off or put them back on between now and when they wear out.

If that's still too much of an issue, the Schwalbe One and Corsa Control are incredible tires, and I actually like how both of them ride more than the GP5000. Though, the GP5000 is the fastest tire I've ridden in a straight line, and people even like them for hard pack gravel, so if you can make the ones you have fit, definitely go for it.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 PM

not too many, if any in 32

if i am going tubeless i want cush and speed.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:04 PM

I have the 5000TL on my road bike, 25c, reynolds wheels, went on super easy. On my gravel bike's second wheels I have DT swiss rims and 32c 5000TL which also went on super easy. Both sets of wheels have thin rim tape. Anyways they roll really fast. even the 32c.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:09 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

How true to size are the Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 Tubeless?
Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
How true to size are the Vittoria Corsa Control G2.0 Tubeless?
Just a mm or so larger on a 21mm rim in 28c.

Smaller than the Schwalbe One I have in the same size on the same rim, which as Dave says measures about 30mm in a 28c.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:17 PM

I have GP5000TL 32mm tires on 3 wheelsets, installed super easy. I would say easier than Schwalbe Pro One 30mm. And inflates easily with a floor pump.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:24 AM

The 5000TLs are such a great tire. I’ve run them in 25, 28, and 32 across diff wheel sets and use cases. Well worth the effort