Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Okay as I suspected for whatever reason. This is a brand new drive train on the Seven right? How far cross chain might you have been?

I'm always a bit squeamish when people talk about how light a chain is. I have no idea what caused it but have to wonder about the mix and match with the SRAM link I guess.
Missed this.

It's brand new, yep. Another caveat, I'm using Praxis rings which aren't technically sanctioned for 12sp use. So there's lots of cheating going on here.

I was in the middle of my cassette and in my 34. I am generally good at not cross chaining or misbehaving in that regard. Though I do sometimes shift under load
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM

The Unior Master chain tool also has a peening bit. Nice hefty construction, I plan to use it for the first time to install new Campy chain and peen it. Have used it install other chains and it works great. btw if you don't have a chain checker tool the one they make is the best hands down.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Missed this.

It's brand new, yep. Another caveat, I'm using Praxis rings which aren't technically sanctioned for 12sp use. So there's lots of cheating going on here.

I was in the middle of my cassette and in my 34. I am generally good at not cross chaining or misbehaving in that regard. Though I do sometimes shift under load
Good info glad you are okay.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM
#RYFB

Just FWIW, Jake, I have 3800 miles on my Chorus 12 groupset using the Eagle link and (fingers crossed) no problems. Lots more kms than you had but my chain length checker is not even close to 0.5 of 'stretch'.

I used to have the Park Tool that purports to work for Campy chains but it never worked, repeatedly broke the tool's pin, and eventually I just gave up and sold it. Given time wasted and dealing with Park to get replacements, any savings versus the Campy tool were illusory.

Has anyone used the Abbey Bike Tools one? I think that is supposed to work with Campy -- also expensive but very pretty.

If you haven't already ordered the Pedro's tool, perhaps we (and another Campy-loving SoCal Paceliner or three?) could pool our resources? After all, they don't get used very often.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Just FWIW, Jake, I have 3800 miles on my Chorus 12 groupset using the Eagle link and (fingers crossed) no problems. Lots more kms than you had but my chain length checker is not even close to 0.5 of 'stretch'.

I used to have the Park Tool that purports to work for Campy chains but it never worked, repeatedly broke the tool's pin, and eventually I just gave up and sold it. Given time wasted and dealing with Park to get replacements, any savings versus the Campy tool were illusory.

Has anyone used the Abbey Bike Tools one? I think that is supposed to work with Campy -- also expensive but very pretty.

If you haven't already ordered the Pedro's tool, perhaps we (and another Campy-loving SoCal Paceliner or three?) could pool our resources? After all, they don't get used very often.
See, this is my conundrum that I keep going back and forth on. I think this should have been fine. I know what a stretched chain feels like and this chain did not feel stretched to ride.

Every time I say to myself: yes I am just going to do it and buy the tool, another part of me thinks.... buuuuut I have been totally fine. Ugh. I dunno.

The Abbey Tool is beautiful indeed.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:41 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
The Abbey Tool is beautiful indeed.
Alas, sold out. Paging @FriarQuade, any insight on future availability?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Okay, so home truth. I'm really bad at replacing consumables, or rather, knowing when to. I worked it out last night and this chain/cassette has 3800km on it - so for all intents and purposes - the chain at least should've been replaced a while ago. I don't want to tarnish anyone's opinion on using the Eagle quick link, because I also had no issues up to this point - but ya know - it happened.

I unequivocally have never tried to loosen or remove the quick link. The chain has not come off since it's installation.

Right now, I think I'm going to go down the route of ordering the Pedro tool. It's worth trying at least. And I'll also grab a chain wear indicator!

With that said, the page listing for the 12 speed pin on Excel's website says:

Must be installed and peened with Campagnolo CN-UT300 Chain Tool

But Pedro's claim the Tutto peens a 12 speed pin. So who knows..........

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if maybe miles and praxis rings are the culprit? We will probably never know but curious if those are 11 speed rings only and how they differ from Campy 12 rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if maybe miles and praxis rings are the culprit? We will probably never know but curious if those are 11 speed rings only and how they differ from Campy 12 rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I've read from Craig, the issue is less the profile of the rings and more the chainline of the crank. Still........ you wouldn't think it'd cause a link to crack under load. But yes, we'll never know. I really need to order some Chorus cranks....
Old 02-25-2021, 05:19 PM

Well, the answer here was to overnight an Abbey Decade from Fair Weather and buy a chain from my LBS so that I can ride this weekend. I called every single Campagnolo dealer within a couple of hours of me to see if anyone had a Campagnolo chain tool and nobody did, nor did any of them stock a peen capable chain tool. Looking forward to using an Abbey tool for the first time.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 02-25-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:35 PM

I need a new quick link for my Campy 12s chain on my Chorus 12 group. After reading this thread, I decided to go with Sram Eagle 12s.

I'm just verifying that this eagle 12s is the one I want (Stamped 456): https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Powerloc...%2C245&sr=8-11

They have one called the "Power Lock Road 12s (model 810)" Anybody tried this? https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Road-Pow...s%2C245&sr=8-9
Old 10-31-2021, 01:14 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
I need a new quick link for my Campy 12s chain on my Chorus 12 group. After reading this thread, I decided to go with Sram Eagle 12s.

I'm just verifying that this eagle 12s is the one I want (Stamped 456): https://www.amazon.com/Sram-Powerloc...%2C245&sr=8-11
I just looked at my replacement stock and it looks like the one linked above (stamped "SRAM 12S" but a different number at the other end). I'm on my second 12s chain using these, total of more than 7k miles and trouble free.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:01 PM

No - don’t do road. Has to be eagle 12. Road 12 is a flat-top chain and is a totally different shape.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:19 PM

Eagle works fine for me.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsmd View Post
Building up bike with Campy Record 12 speed and wanted to see what experiences forumites have had regarding the chain. Manual says it needs to be installed with the special pin and be peened, but I do not have a peening tool and hoping not to need to purchase one.

Anybody have any experience with a quick link that would be compatible with the campy drivetrain? I see SRAM has one for their 12 speed eagle drivetrains. I think KMC also has a 12 speed chain, but have not found a source for just the quick link.

May be worth it to bring it to the LBS to have the chain installed, but concerned about their fluency with Campy speak.
I just discovered that a used 2017 Colnago C60 with Record 11 that I just bought has a Sram power link on the chain. The seller didn't disclose this (given his apparent lack of maintenance knowledge, he may not have even known that his shop installed it.)

The chain has 1mm of wear on it, and shifts beautifully through all the gears. I've used Campy components for over forty years, and I have never used their proprietary preening chain tool.

I've always just used a standard Park tool, and I raced in the mid 80's for about 4 years. I've always done my own maintenance. Mind you, this is my first encounter with the Sram power link on one of my chains. I've ordered two more for additional 11 speed chains, and I'm going to order a 10 speed power link for my other Colnago.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post

They have one called the "Power Lock Road 12s (model 810)" Anybody tried this? https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Road-Pow...s%2C245&sr=8-9
The power lock road is an axs link - too narrow.