Social media is just Darwin hard at work...or so it seems
Old 02-25-2021, 06:05 AM
ZhugeLiang

I prefer this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3NeWVpiAgY
Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
When you're unencumbered by brain matter, it makes you more aerodynamic.

Wisdom weighs nothing.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Nah, not my thing.

Quote:
Crossing the yellow line going down Palomar on a blind corner with a car and a motorcycle coming up is not "just bike riding."

But sure, let's lionize a guy giving the rest of us a bad name with wildly irresponsible descending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
I am a "hair on fire" descender, and love going downhill FAST. it's fun, and involves some risk and skill, but it's FUN and i consider it a well earned reward for the climbing that got me to the top.

that said, i'm also a pretty big moto enthusiast and also love my small euro turbo cars. i learned a long time ago that the one thing to never forget it "respect the yellow line" - coming through corners, you just never know when what's coming the other way, and you also hope/pray/believe that they will also be respecting that painted barrier.

unless you've got a radio in your ear and a pro spotter, it's a bad move to cross the line. it's one thing to make risk decisions for one's self, but it's another entirely to change someone else's risk score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I love descending fast, but would never cross a double yellow blind like that. Nothing wrong with it when you have a clear sight of the road ahead tho. When you look at the motorbikes speedo the speeds are not nearly as insane as the lane violations. I’ve hit 60 twice, both times in Colorado, but on semi closed descents. Hell, I’d do it again if given the chance...it’s the best part of the ride for me after all the hard work. Thanks for posting the video.
This

I have a moto background, the guys I rode with always considered crossing lines as cheating.

Just say NO, you will improve your skills and live longer

Last edited by KarlC; 02-25-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:53 AM

If you want to claim to be fast, don’t make a video about yourself proclaiming yourself to be king, pin on a number against other guys and find out if you are fast. Complete, dangerous stupidity and a complete lack of consideration for anybody else using the road.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:02 AM

I think part of the issue is that Safa refined his tricks in Mexico City where road users operate in a Lord of the Flies environment. It's every woman for herself with the most vulnerable road users at the bottom of the pyramid. In Mexico City traffic, a truck driver wouldn't hesitate for a second to consider avoiding a pedestrian or a cyclist; he would plow right through. So, less collateral damage. Here, Safa could easily set off a chain reaction of tragedy.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:37 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
I think part of the issue is that Safa refined his tricks in Mexico City where road users operate in a Lord of the Flies environment. It's every woman for herself with the most vulnerable road users at the bottom of the pyramid. In Mexico City traffic, a truck driver wouldn't hesitate for a second to consider avoiding a pedestrian or a cyclist; he would plow right through. So, less collateral damage. Here, Safa could easily set off a chain reaction of tragedy.
Wow. Thanks for the additional context.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:51 PM

This podcast fills in a LOT of details. It may not change minds but it might help you understand the man behind (and in front of) the camera. Whatever your take on his riding style, it is clear he loves bicycles and isn't doing this as some newbie trying to get clicks... this is who he is and what he does.

https://www.paysonmcelveen.com/podca...er-and-cyclist
Payson McElveen|3/2/2021
Brian “Safa” Wagner has carved out a niche for himself within cycling as one of the fastest road descenders outside of the pro peloton. Through his Youtube channel, he shares films of his most nail-biting descents that see him maintaining average speeds of nearly 50mph over the course of 15-minutes. Safa started out as a bike messenger, navigating the crowded streets of cities such as London, Sydney, Glasgow, and Mexico City as fast as cycling allowed. Over time, he elevated this to an art form, and pioneered the bike messenging scene in Mexico City, where he lived for six years. He now lives in Los Angeles, producing films and pushing the limits of fast descents. In this interview, he talks about why he’s chosen to make Los Angeles his home, being passed over by potential sponsors who think his riding is too dangerous to promote, and why his new film, Pray for Speed, is a special one. He also talks about why he isn’t too fussy about bike setup, his thoughts on the UCI ban on the “super-tuck,” and why he thinks all cycling is equally dangerous.
I will say that I agree with others above that there is no excuse for crossing a double-yellow or for some of the riding in his videos where he or others are making dangerous passes of cars (in neighborhoods or in the canyons). But I am definitely okay with him filming and showing and teaching descending skills, which he clearly has.. I'd just prefer he keep it a bit more within the bounds, unless it's on a closed course.

Last edited by Clean39T; 03-04-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
This podcast fills in a LOT of details. It may not change minds but it might help you understand the man behind (and in front of) the camera. Whatever your take on his riding style, it is clear he loves bicycles and isn't doing this as some newbie trying to get clicks... this is who he is and what he does.

Payson McElveen|3/2/2021
Brian “Safa” Wagner has carved out a niche for himself within cycling as one of the fastest road descenders outside of the pro peloton. Through his Youtube channel, he shares films of his most nail-biting descents that see him maintaining average speeds of nearly 50mph over the course of 15-minutes. Safa started out as a bike messenger, navigating the crowded streets of cities such as London, Sydney, Glasgow, and Mexico City as fast as cycling allowed. Over time, he elevated this to an art form, and pioneered the bike messenging scene in Mexico City, where he lived for six years. He now lives in Los Angeles, producing films and pushing the limits of fast descents. In this interview, he talks about why he’s chosen to make Los Angeles his home, being passed over by potential sponsors who think his riding is too dangerous to promote, and why his new film, Pray for Speed, is a special one. He also talks about why he isn’t too fussy about bike setup, his thoughts on the UCI ban on the “super-tuck,” and why he thinks all cycling is equally dangerous.
I will say that I agree with others above that there is no excuse for crossing a double-yellow or for some of the riding in his videos where he or others are making dangerous passes of cars (in neighborhoods or in the canyons). But I am definitely okay with him filming and showing and teaching descending skills, which he clearly has.. I'd just prefer he keep it a bit more within the bounds, unless it's on a closed course.
I can't seem to listen to it? Do I need to Login to listen? The Justin Williams cast played but not this one...

Thanks Dan
Old 03-04-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I can't seem to listen to it? Do I need to Login to listen? The Justin Williams cast played but not this one...

Thanks Dan
Dunno, I pulled it up through the podcast player on my phone.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Crossing the yellow line going down Palomar on a blind corner with a car and a motorcycle coming up is not "just bike riding."

But sure, let's lionize a guy giving the rest of us a bad name with wildly irresponsible descending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The descending is cool and all but certainly dangerous on roads open to traffic. His riding style amongst the traffic is just plain dumb. When he gets smoked I don't want to read it was the driver's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
That guy is gonna get himself kilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
And killed!
Interesting. Having ridden many of those descents...although without Kodak courage, I like seeing another person's lines. But yes, unless there's lots of sightline, don't cross a yellow. Or do, but then I won't care one moment when I hear this dude gets greased. If it were me...while folks may shake their head, my close peeps would know I died doing what I love. I mean, what does this guy have to live for...a youtube channel with a long CV referencing international bike messengering???? KIDDING!!! I long for the simple life.

This youtube/insta/social media generation...I cannot wait for it to pass. I guess, at 49, I'm officially old. I made my money the idiot way of getting a degree and trying really hard to a professional gig. I wish I knew all I needed was a phone and a few less brain cells (and to be born 25 years later than I was). Dude can barely form a proper sentence. Maybe lay off the herb??? Kidding again. Kinda. I don't get the current world.

But seriously. Don't crash out others doing your thing. If come up on a fast person going downhill, they should be able to handle my (close) pass. If I come up on someone on an Elecktra, I give them wide berth so as not to scare the living daylights out of them.

Caveat: I'm all for speed.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 PM

Heaven forbid! Someone speaking their non-native tongue being less fluent than a native speaker.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Payson McElveen|3/2/2021
The equation remains the same and it’s pretty simple: his skills don’t trump everyone else’s safety.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Heaven forbid! Someone speaking their non-native tongue being less fluent than a native speaker.
If you're referring to my post. My comment has nothing to do with nationality or anything remotely related. It has to do with cognitive power and weed. Language, and speaking, has nothing to do with being a stoner...in case I need to be crystal clear. But yes, thank you for bringing the ever-present concern regarding perceived bias. I have been around enough half-baked folks to know when I see one. And also, I could be totally incorrect...and am just screwing around on a BIKE FORUM.

And, the post was tongue in cheek (aka somewhat aggressive joking....somewhat akin to his/her/it (did I cover the pronouns properly?) aggressive cornering skillz). Please don't assume it was anything otherwise.

Last edited by lavi; 03-04-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
his/her/it (did I cover the pronouns properly?)
Cool. Bye.
Closed Thread