Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
These are awesome, in fact just ordered another pair. Price is super good, they're custom, and Lou's a great guy to work with. I love his stuff, got a bunch of it. My son has two pair of the pants also, says they're his instant go-to-pants whenever the temp drops. The pants are his Power Shield Pants, here's a link to his site
http://foxwear.net
These look interesting (and bespoke!). The link to order seems broken though, any idea of a rough cost?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:38 PM

I've been using these for xc skiing and fatbiking in the 10-30F range. Pretty cheap but the sizing is weird. I normally wear a large, but went 2XL with these and the fit is great.

https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Pan...s%2C217&sr=8-5
Old 02-12-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
These look interesting (and bespoke!). The link to order seems broken though, any idea of a rough cost?
I have the Neoshell pants from them, and they were $120 shipped 10 years ago. Still look like new and function excellent. My go-to for anything outdoors below 15F or so. I've ridden at -20F with just some wool long johns underneath.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:44 PM

foxwear

Echoing Velotel I would suggest giving Lou at Foxwear a call.You will be able to design your pants to your needs and choose colors and fabrics as well.I have a pair of Power shield pants,2 color,2 fabrics(front and back) with the articulated knee that he made for me over 10 years ago.The price is still a bargain.You will not be disappointed in his craftsmanship.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:54 PM

Just finished my ride with them, 29 degrees, legs were toasty. there is a loose fit and tighter fit on the legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
For not very cold.... above, say, 40°F, Assos winter tights are pretty amazing for how light and warm something can be.

But for cold weather, I use my x-c ski pants from Sporthill over my riding shorts. You never see these on sale, and the reason is their quality and effectiveness. I can use them down to single digits F without long underwear, when skiing. on a bike they are effective down to about 20°F. They have great stretch, look sharp, block wind, last, and are versatile.

https://www.sporthill.com/mens-xc-pant/
Old 02-13-2021, 05:02 AM

I know these are expensive, but the new Assos Ultraz will easily take you down to 25 F or so with no problem. When it is colder, I just wear a nice knee high wool sock on my lower leg for added warmth. I always find if I keep my lower legs, feet , hands and forearms warmer, I can handle the cold much longer. Right now, I am dialed in for 15F or so.

These have a heavier windblock on the thighs, so are much warmer than the habu or older Mille winter tights.

I always find that wearing a baselayer under tights doesn't work well for long rides and I end up destroying the baselayer pretty quickly.

I've been wanting to try the 40Nrth Naughtwind but I haven't tracked a pair down yet. I am sure pairing this with the naughtvind shell pants will let you go pretty cold.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 02-13-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:11 AM

Patagonia windshield pants

Hi all

I commute to work everyday. I love the Patagonia windshield pant. Windproof on the front and R1 fabric on the back. Down to 25 F I wear bib knickers and the windshield pant. From 5-25 F I wear bib knickers, long thermal underwear, and the windshield pant. Less than 5 F, I wear heavier thermal underwear. It is a very comfortable item, and moves well on the bike - much better than Goretex pants. Very good durability, and I am currently on my second pair. I like it much better than the custom Foxwear I had. I think the custom Foxwear was powershield, but it was heavier, didn’t move as well, wasn’t articulated as well, and lacked the small details of the Patagonia. Also good for winter runs.

Thx
Old 02-13-2021, 06:17 AM

I'll second the REI recommendations. I've got a couple pairs. Rode yesterday with temp averaging 18F. No problem.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I have loved the pants I got from REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens

They are insulated in front from the wind, but ventilated in the back so you don't overheat. I wear cycling shorts with a chamois underneath, of course. I wear a pair of tights as well if it's going to be really cold. They aren't a race fit or anything, but no one is out there setting landspeed records when it's 4 degrees out anyway. They fit snug enough that they don't blow around in the wind, which is all I need. They have me out there cycling all winter, which is what's truly important!
I also love these pants from REI. Used them almost daily last winter. Got the standard/tights version this year for slightly less cold days with a slightly closer fit. Also like them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I'll second the REI recommendations. I've got a couple pairs. Rode yesterday with temp averaging 18F. No problem.
Really wanting to try them but it looks like all the sizes are 32" inseam across the board. I can usually make a 34 work, but with my 36" inseam, 32 just wont cut it.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Really wanting to try them but it looks like all the sizes are 32" inseam across the board. I can usually make a 34 work, but with my 36" inseam, 32 just wont cut it.
FWIW, I just measured both of mine. The inseams are right at 32 inches. I wear 34-inch Levi's 505s on a daily basis (when I'm not wearing sweatpants or riding a bike). I don't worry too much about the lost inches. If I'm wearing my REI pants, I'm generally also wearing my neoprene booties which covers the gap. (I don't have winter boots.)

Edit: REI has a very generous return policy. I just bought a couple pairs of shoes there. The sales person said I had a year to decide if they worked for me. I could return them with no questions asked. So there's that.

Last edited by smontanaro; 02-13-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: return policy, bootie coverage
Old 02-13-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
These are awesome, in fact just ordered another pair. Price is super good, they're custom, and Lou's a great guy to work with. I love his stuff, got a bunch of it. My son has two pair of the pants also, says they're his instant go-to-pants whenever the temp drops. The pants are his Power Shield Pants, here's a link to his site
http://foxwear.net
This.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
It's proving to be a dry but cold winter and I need to upgrade my wardrobe to be able to ride semi-regularly. Doe anyone have experience with any insulated pants that they have enjoyed on the bike? So far I am looking at the Pearl Izumi amfib Summits, but open to other reccomendations, especially if there are any cheaper options out there
What temperature range?

Any reason you're asking about pants rather than tights? Once you're up to that $150-200 price range I'd suggest heading straight to the Assos outlet store or hit the sales at BikeZaar or RoseBikes.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Will View Post
Hi all

I commute to work everyday. I love the Patagonia windshield pant. Windproof on the front and R1 fabric on the back. Down to 25 F I wear bib knickers and the windshield pant. From 5-25 F I wear bib knickers, long thermal underwear, and the windshield pant. Less than 5 F, I wear heavier thermal underwear. It is a very comfortable item, and moves well on the bike - much better than Goretex pants. Very good durability, and I am currently on my second pair. I like it much better than the custom Foxwear I had. I think the custom Foxwear was powershield, but it was heavier, didn’t move as well, wasn’t articulated as well, and lacked the small details of the Patagonia. Also good for winter runs.

Thx
Agree great pants for commuting and running.

Not my bag for road cycling but might be for others.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Quick epilogue:

I ended up getting a pair of the powershield pants from Lou at Foxwear and am super impressed. The pants ended up being about half the cost of the Pearl Izumi pants and we're custom made to my measurements. Can't beat that!+