Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 PM

OT: Apple campus to open soon

how'd they make that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkh5udzKds

Last edited by eddief; 02-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:27 PM

I hear about this thing a lot. I haven't seen it but am close by, I'll have to go check it out.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Riding Along

Very impressive indeed. My 1st thought was that this project must be costing a large sum of money, then I realized that Apple has more than enough cash lying around from the money they save by avoiding taxes alone.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM

Evidently it takes an expensive building for Apple's concentration on new emojis and watch bands. I never thought I would see the day when Microsoft is more innovative and more customer focused than Apple, but it is here now.

Last edited by CunegoFan; 02-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Classics Fan

The house that Steve built, and Tim destroyed.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Looks like Alphabet quashed the youtube video. "no longer available"
Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

YouTube link does not work.

BTW - construction cost = 5 billion funded by Steve Jobs foundation so Apple could not cancel project.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:06 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Evidently it takes an expensive building for Apple's concentration on new emojis and watch bands. I never thought I would see the day when Microsoft is more innovative and more customer focused than Apple, but it is here now.
Big sweeping statements. If you think you know something, please share your insights.

Innovation can be defined a thousand different ways. Customer focus has hundreds of different forms and nuances.

No dog in this fight as being long both AAPL and MSFT so I'm not disputing you because what you said was ambiguous enough that it won't mean much as a view either for or against either company. But I'm interested to know what you think - can't hurt to ask, right?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Apple Campus 2 is actually very innovative, very responsible, very employee-focused, and, in my opinion, very beautiful and in synchronicity with the company's identity. Foster is certainly one of the world's greatest living architects, and this building will add to the legacy.

As far as the expense is concerned, 2.8 million square feet (+ extras and many outdoor amenities), over 157 acres, in Silicon Valley, in 2017 US $, to be produced by a world-class architect/construction team, is not exactly a "budget" program.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 PM

link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvkh5udzKds
Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Big sweeping statements. If you think you know something, please share your insights.

Innovation can be defined a thousand different ways. Customer focus has hundreds of different forms and nuances.

No dog in this fight as being long both AAPL and MSFT so I'm not disputing you because what you said was ambiguous enough that it won't mean much as a view either for or against either company. But I'm interested to know what you think - can't hurt to ask, right?
Pretty simple. Macs were tools of the pro: Audio, Photo, Ilustration, Film.. Those industries relied on Macs and mac only. Apple in return was there to fullfill pro needs. Now apple is selling toys instead of pro machinery. The new mac pro just killed the audio guys who need all kinds of ports for their operations. Have you seen how all the ports went away?
The new OS is prone to crashes. Not to mention how everything soldiered so you cannot replace a battery or expand memory and HDs. The effort is to sell something slim, light, pretty and if high end functionality gets in the way.. get rid of it.
I come w/ this diatribe from listening to audio technicians, film editors and i am a pro photographer so ymmv.

Last edited by colker; 02-22-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

Don't know enough of the ins and outs of these two companies to make a a definitive statement, but as a casual observer, I've been pretty underwhelmed by recent products and tech from Apple. I mean, the Touch Bar? MSFT and Dell and others have fully touch based laptops, and Apple introduces the Touch Bar? to me, this smacks of "what can we do to disrupt the supply chain/production process the least?" as opposed to, "What can we do to make insanely great products?"

Likewise, look at the new apple watch. DC Rainmaker's review includes a video of the watch (cobranded with Nike as an activity tracker) absolutely failing at the run pacing function. That is the kind of thing that Apple avoided previously with their "it just works" philosophy, and basically not including a feature if they couldn't do it well.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The house that Steve built, and Tim destroyed.
Typical stupid comment from some one who knows little.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Typical stupid comment from some one who knows little.
From the Paceline User Agreement:

"Respect toward fellow members is expected and required. You agree not to harass, flame, insult, taunt, or otherwise disrespect any member of this forum. Polite and intelligent disagreement is expected and inevitable in this type of forum. Personal attacks are not permitted at any time."
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM

kinda cool

I post a simple tube of an incredible piece of architecture and the forum finds a way to grind it into the ground. I was not seeking kudos, but was probably not expecting it to turn to sh*t so fast. Welcome to the USA. Microcosm?

Tags
conspicuous consumption, tower of babel