Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 PM

I hope you are not actually throwing them away! You can always send them to me, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

doesn't matter at this point, these are now in the trash can and i just ordered some new ones that hopefully the website was correct in listing them as in-stock.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Both shifters are doing this by the way, so it's gotta be something wrong on the inside. Will search for replacement levers instead, see how that effort goes....
You asked for ideas and Old Potato showed you a potential fix. Did you try to adjust the blade position set screw as was suggested? It seems like you may have missed the detailed response from one of the best campy experts on planet earth.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:44 AM

All-points duly noted, certainly. I just lost my patience! I have very limited time to work on this kind of stuff and wanted to get on the bike ASAP. Now it'll sit for a couple of more months most likely. Oh well, it's only taken a few years to get to this point, what's another month or two....

Oldpotatoe was right that little tiny hole needed to be cleaned out quite a bit, it had a ton of gunk in there.

more importantly a tiny small piece of metal came out of the cam area after I pulled it off of The handlebar and took out all of the cabling and housing. I have no idea where the metal piece came from, but clearly it look like it snapped off of something. Likely something inside. So yes these are in the dumpster, would not want anybody to attempt to use these things and jeopardize their safety. I just hope the new ones I ordered are actually in stock and available. Very hard to find NOS units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
You asked for ideas and Old Potato showed you a potential fix. Did you try to adjust the blade position set screw as was suggested? It seems like you may have missed the detailed response from one of the best campy experts on planet earth.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-20-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
All-points duly noted, certainly. I just lost my patience! I have very limited time to work on this kind of stuff and wanted to get on the bike ASAP. Now it'll sit for a couple of more months most likely. Oh well, it's only taken a few years to get to this point, what's another month or two....

Oldpotatoe was right that little tiny hole needed to be cleaned out quite a bit, it had a ton of gunk in there.

more importantly a tiny small piece of metal came out of the cam area after I pulled it off of The handlebar and took out all of the cabling and housing. I have no idea where the metal piece came from, but clearly it look like it snapped off of something. Likely something inside. So yes these are in the dumpster, would not want anybody to attempt to use these things and jeopardize their safety. I just hope the new ones I ordered are actually in stock and available. Very hard to find NOS units.
Something may have been amiss but I could certainly use the levers you threw away...brake lever blades, shift lever blades, small springs and such are common in ultra and power shift.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

let us know where you live so we can go dig through the trash
Old 01-20-2019, 08:00 AM

Just get a new pod and swap the lever and blade
Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Just get a new pod and swap the lever and blade
New assembly has all but the brake blade, hoods, hbar clamp.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

oldpotatoe,

Great info on that mysterious hole/adjustment. Can you confirm that it’s 2mm allen/hex key? Looks/seems maybe smaller. Not torx?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM

yeah that damned thing is tiny as heck indeed. to get to the point of seeing the allen screw, i ended up using the tip of a utility knife to gently scrape off the gunk, then a toothbrush damp with simple green scrubbing/poking at it again & again & again....

gotta love the italians to come up with something so oddball placed and ridiculously small, for something that is (or can be) a very critical function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
oldpotatoe,

Great info on that mysterious hole/adjustment. Can you confirm that it’s 2mm allen/hex key? Looks/seems maybe smaller. Not torx?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
New assembly has all but the brake blade, hoods, hbar clamp.
I thought they has disco'd the silver lever but I've just had a look on Campag's b2b and they still have them
Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
yeah that damned thing is tiny as heck indeed. to get to the point of seeing the allen screw, i ended up using the tip of a utility knife to gently scrape off the gunk, then a toothbrush damp with simple green scrubbing/poking at it again & again & again....

gotta love the italians to come up with something so oddball placed and ridiculously small, for something that is (or can be) a very critical function.
It's a 2mm allen key.

On levers supplied as complete levers from the factory, the screw is pre-set during QC and covered over with silicone sealant so that end-users won't tamper with it ... as Old Potatoe rightly says, if it's adjusted "in" too far, it messes with the pre-loading of the cable and that can have a knock-on effect on the whole shift pattern, which is also tested at QC.

Bodies that are sold as spare parts, i.e. without the brake lever installed, you'll find don't have the screw sealed over, because the exact position of the brake lever can vary very slightly on installation - it's in the nature of the moulding of the lever body that there can be tiny variations in the alignment of the levers. Generally the hope is that end users will go to a competent mechanic to have a lever body replaced rather than doing it themselves.

You'll find that the presence of the alignment screw is not documented in the public domain precisely because Campagnolo *don't* want end customers or mechanics who have not had the downside of incorrect adjustment explained to them, messing about with it.

If you saw the number of end users making a complete mess of gear adjustment as we do at the SCs and in the shops ... and the knock-on damage that they cause (which of course, is *never* their own fault for undertaking a task for which they don't have the skills), you'd understand the motivation ...
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Yeah baby!

Mama mia original hoods were a b!^&%$!! to remove. Replacement "gum" hoods from Hudz not that much easier to get on, although a liberal splash of rubbing alcohol inside the hoods helped.

Gum hoods courtesy of ntb1001, they are IMPOSSIBLE to find. Thanks amigo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AthenaHoods2.jpg (67.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg AthenaHoods1.jpg (73.8 KB, 801 views)
Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by msriddle View Post
oldpotatoe,

Thanks!
Not torx, 1.5mm, I just stuck one in. Sorry GFK, 1.5...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6EED47F3-51C0-4D52-8B3C-9782ACCB85EF.jpg (106.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM

You really learn something new everyday.

Only my right lever clicks (once on rear braking), although both levers are out of alignment with the tap-pads. I had noticed this after buying the group from a forumite, and it did not take long to understand what was happening. But I had no idea there was an alignment screw.

I doubt I'll do anything about... I've got a couple thousand miles on it now and don't ever think about it. I kind of like the click of the lever as I engage the brake...

But it is great to have a thread that goes through this!

Thanks 54ny77! The gum hoods look sharp. Brown leather wrap? Build pics pls.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not torx, 1.5mm, I just stuck one in. Sorry GFK, 1.5...
If you make the adjustment, could you let us no how many turns per mm of throw? Thanks!