Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The only argument that I can see on the more favorable rules, is that he has been able to player longer, gain more experience, and thus be more prepared for games (so he has an edge)...
"more prepared for games..." Yep, helps when your stealing the other teams signals. Just sayin'...

https://www.businessinsider.com/espn...scandal-2015-9
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
People are funny…

“Brady is not the best, he sucks, he couldn’t play in the old league, he would get mauled, ripped apart, beat to crap and he would suck….he just couldn’t compete…”

How many times have we had threads here where people complain about hard hits, wearing helmets, increased safety, concussions and TBI, etc….. The rules changed for a reason…players have become bigger, stronger, and faster. Let the current crop of linemen and linebackers (take them back in time or today) play by the old rules and how many QB’s do you think would last without getting annihilated? Just about none of them. The old school guys were mean, but no where near the athleticism of current players. By today’s standards going to practice, partying drinking Miller lite, eating steak, and going to practice just doesn’t cut it anymore. Rules changed for a reason.

So, like them or not, in the present, within the current timeline that exists, by the stats, Brady is the GOAT. Belllacheck…Likely another GOAT. The Patriots, one of the best franchises in the NFL to date.

NFL dynasties come and go, but B&B&P has had a longer run than most. You can hate them for it, but that doesn’t change the fact that they got it done when they needed to get it done.

W.
Well said. I think just like in politics, 'WHATABOUTISM' in sports is all too easy to invoke to explain why your particular guy/team is not coming out on top.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM

I guess we're all supposed to just shrug our shoulders in stoic resignation and realize, somehow, that piss-poor officiating that can/does change the outcome of a game is just "part of the game".
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I see the Pats a bit like Lance Armstrong. They just manage to cheat better than everyone else and get away with it. There's just been too many questionable things by this team. Oh and I stand by my comments. Brady cannot and couldn't take the beating that many truly great GB's have. He has never exhibited that sort of mental and physical toughness. He's just been protected by the rules and has thrived in the protected environment. He's only the GOAT if that stand for Greatest Overhyped All Time.

Official Patriot hater and PROUD OF IT!

Whatever helps you sleep warm and snuggly at night.

W.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
People are funny…

“Brady is not the best, he sucks, he couldn’t play in the old league, he would get mauled, ripped apart, beat to crap and he would suck….he just couldn’t compete…”

How many times have we had threads here where people complain about hard hits, wearing helmets, increased safety, concussions and TBI, etc….. The rules changed for a reason…players have become bigger, stronger, and faster. Let the current crop of linemen and linebackers (take them back in time or today) play by the old rules and how many QB’s do you think would last without getting annihilated? Just about none of them. The old school guys were mean, but no where near the athleticism of current players. By today’s standards going to practice, partying drinking Miller lite, eating steak, and going to practice just doesn’t cut it anymore. Rules changed for a reason.

So, like them or not, in the present, within the current timeline that exists, by the stats, Brady is the GOAT. Belllacheck…Likely another GOAT. The Patriots, one of the best franchises in the NFL to date.

NFL dynasties come and go, but B&B&P has had a longer run than most. You can hate them for it, but that doesn’t change the fact that they got it done when they needed to get it done.

W.
I'm not really a football fan. Basketball is my sport. But what Tom Brady has done is nothing short of miraculous. Is there another corollary for such longevity? Maybe Gordie Howe. Can't think of too many others. Lebron James is coming close...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Randomhead

I'm glad they removed injuring quarterbacks as a basic part of winning football games. Brady did okay back when they still did that.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

As for the blown PI call on the Rams defender, it’s hard to feel sorry for Sean Payton...the call just happened to go against his team.
The issue was it was such an egregious no call. How could the entire crew miss something so obvious. The LA player said he was blessed! And if called correctly the Saints would have won.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep warm and snuggly at night.

W.
LOL, right!

Truth is I gave up on the NFL about 2 years ago. It's so hard to watch football when you're also a soccer fan. So many commercials, play stoppage, penalties, etc in football. It's just so painful to try and sit through a game.

But I still hate Brady, LOL!!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
I don't think we're arguing different points. And I'm sure you would maul me with a stick if I tried to grab your bike, because I can't play in your league.

The issue is the "AT". You said it yourself, current timeline. Right Now. Brady is the GORN. Have that with my compliments.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM
needs adult supervision

Look, I hate LeBron. You know what he's the GOAT of? Being a crybaby. Whining. But you know what else he might well be the GOAT of? Skill. As much as I dislike him, I have to give him his due. The man balls. I'd love to see him and MJ go at it in their respective primes.

So as much as folks may hate Brady and BB and the Pats, if you can't give them their due, that's about the fan. Not the player.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Look, I hate LeBron. You know what he's the GOAT of? Being a crybaby. Whining. But you know what else he might well be the GOAT of? Skill. As much as I dislike him, I have to give him his due. The man balls. I'd love to see him and MJ go at it in their respective primes.

So as much as folks may hate Brady and BB and the Pats, if you can't give them their due, that's about the fan. Not the player.
Oh it is about me, no doubt. I remember guys who were at least as good.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post

I totally disagree. Here's how I see it. When Brady came on the scene I had zero animosity towards him. Then over the years you see the spygate and like keep happening. Then you see a decidedly preferential treatment of him during the games by the refs. I don't think any honest person can say that he's not been being treated for years differently than any other QB. You see it game after game after game. The refs allowed the opposing QB to be abused all game yet if anyone so much as breathed on Brady there was a flag thrown. Really makes you loose respect for the game and for the player. Put him on a level playing field as the rest of the NFL and see how he does.

My talk of hate is just all in fun but there really is no getting around how Brady has been treated special by the NFL. Just being honest...

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-21-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Not quite true

Spygate had nothing to do with Brady it was about Belichik continuing to do something everyone in the league did after the league said stop.

Deflategate was an issue that was, again, league wide and if the Colts weren’t such whiners would have been a non-issue. Rodgers and Manning both admitted to tweaking ball pressure in interviews. Brady’s suspension was because he refused to cooperate with the league not for actually playing with pressures.

As for preferential treatment, Manning and others have been afforded similar protection but because of the Patriot’s success, we see Brady involved more. In the end QB protection was about dollars to the NFL. The league is QB driven and the NFL wants to protect its product.

Machomes may be the next TB or who knows who is next but it is highly unlikely there will be many with the length of career coupled with the length of success of TB.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 PM
v a n i l l a

Give me nance and romo in the booth over anyone else. how many times did tony nail the play call before the snap?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:04 PM
what's a little rust?

There will never be agreement on him. From at least the tuck rule forward, his story has been unique and controversial. So it goes.

He smiled and played through the boos at Michigan when 100K silly people wanted Drew Henson instead. I liked that.

The rest of it is just pro sports. If the halftime show is Maroon 5, how big of a deal can it be?