Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM

Are we talking pure performance or what we like?
I have a Strong TI, it is a fantastic bike, might even be better than my Baum-it does nothing for me viscerally, which is a lot of the reason we buy things.
I have the Baum, to me it is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen.
I see a ton of the bikes on the forum and a very low percentage of them do anything for me visually.
I agree that there is probably very little difference in performance with many of these bikes but there is such thing as a placebo effect....
To each their own.

Last edited by HugoBear; 01-21-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 AM

We are obviously not talking in terms of performance. A small increment of fitness or better technique will wipe out whatever difference there may exist between a Motobecane Ti and a Baum.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
we are obviously not talking in terms of performance. A small increment of fitness or better technique will wipe out whatever difference there may exist between a motobecane ti and a baum.
yup!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:01 PM

by the same token, if you have a Baum with your better fitness then it is even better than your better fitness with the motobecane, no?

Quote:
We are obviously not talking in terms of performance. A small increment of fitness or better technique will wipe out whatever difference there may exist between a Motobecane Ti and a Baum.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Paceline, the kind of place where you can wear two t-shirts and tube socks as long as you're riding Ti.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
by the same token, if you have a Baum with your better fitness then it is even better than your better fitness with the motobecane, no?
The question of "best bike" only makes sense if you've reached the upper limit of physical preparedness, and now the only thing that can get you any higher is the latest and greatest in cycling technology.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Perception of quality/value

This and related threads are very interesting to me -- let me explain.

I own a Serotta and a Lynskey that I bought before knowing much about either. So, I've read this forum for information and couldn't miss people's opinions about each. In later years of existence, Serottas are sometimes (negatively) charactrized as "dentist and lawyer" bikes because of their high cost. On the opposite side, Lynskeys are considered second tier Ti by some, mostly because they are relatively inexpensive.

Being in automotive industry (I am an engineer, not in marketing and sales), I've always wondered what makes people willing to pay a large premium for a small improvement and later completely going in opposite direction ignoring larger improvements. There is definitely an intangible coolness factor, but how would one address it as a bicycle or car maker?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
The question of "best bike" only makes sense if you've reached the upper limit of physical preparedness, and now the only thing that can get you any higher is the latest and greatest in cycling technology.
why? i feel like "best bike" doesn't need a rider qualifier, since the OP never mentioned cost, it doesn't seem this is about value either.

the baum is probably the better bike than the lynskey with an equivalent person on top, the difference is surely smaller than comparing a baum with a walmart bike, but they did ask for "best."
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 AM

The Best Titanium Road Bike?

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Not too interested in politics or social programs though, lets leave that for another post. I think I have my new TI Bike narrowed down to two builders, Seven or Moots. Both have been around for quite some time and I like the idea of Lifetime guarantees on frames and craftsmanship. Besides brand the last decision is Disc or rim brake, and if disc leave enough room for 38-40's? Routt/Evergreen vs Vamoots/Axiom? How much road bike would I be giving up going this direction. Can one titanium bike do it all? Either brand with Ultegra build is Stretchhhhhing the budget.
Thanks again for everyone's input/thoughts
Old 01-22-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and input. Not too interested in politics or social programs though, lets leave that for another post. I think I have my new TI Bike narrowed down to two builders, Seven or Moots. Both have been around for quite some time and I like the idea of Lifetime guarantees on frames and craftsmanship. Besides brand the last decision is Disc or rim brake, and if disc leave enough room for 38-40's? Routt/Evergreen vs Vamoots/Axiom? How much road bike would I be giving up going this direction. Can one titanium bike do it all? Either brand with Ultegra build is Stretchhhhhing the budget.
Rob Vandermark was once very nice to my partner and made her coffee while I looked around RideStudio Cafe. So I say Seven.

Can't go wrong either way.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:39 AM

You can't go wrong with either of those brands. My wife has a Vamoots and she absolutely loves it. I know Moots holds their retail value quite well. Again either brand you will love.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Either one is a winner. You are not going to regret either choice. Building it up with Ultregra is great. In fact, probably the best choice for Shimano as DA, although lighter, may not be as durable or have the wide gearing selection which helps if you plan to ride off road. Regarding tire width, yeah it will affect it. Can you test ride a routt and a vamoots? that should answer your question.

Last edited by joosttx; 01-22-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Is that a level top tube sock or gently sloping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Paceline, the kind of place where you can wear two t-shirts and tube socks as long as you're riding Ti.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Can one titanium bike do it all?
Not really no.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Can one titanium bike do it all?
This one can:

Team time trial:

Mountain Biking: