Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM
I ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Ya I read that I’m just not sure why ‘NOS’ is being used

A bike that has been built and displayed is pretty much NOS and not one that has been on the road

Well, I can’t speak for Jon... but unless he can ride a bare-new-frame-fork-headset like Harry Potter on one of those broomsticks... I’d say it’s never seen the road.

Last edited by VonTrapp; 01-12-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM
I ride to eat.

And just to make sure the cards are on the table... I am a little personally MOOved by the topic... a little biased.

Mooooooots. #moots
Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonTrapp View Post
Well, I can’t speak for Jon... but unless he can ride a bare-new-frame-fork-headset like Harry Potter on one of those broomsticks... I’d say it’s never seen the road.
Hmm funny cause i interpret it the other way around. Like its been used but very little and is still in great condition and could almost pass as NOS.

I guess john knows which is it but thats what i would read into his description and the wording almost NOS.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Hmm funny cause i interpret it the other way around. Like its been used but very little and is still in great condition and could almost pass as NOS.

I guess john knows which is it but thats what i would read into his description and the wording almost NOS.
Exactly
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM

This is a really key point to keep in mind. Many of us who peruse this forum love bikes and are generous with complements, including "great price" and "bargain of the day" etc. We're all in a big Romance/Bromance/Bikemance. I have had those complementary reactions to framesets and wheelsets that eventually had to go to ebay. Have a look at ebay for the sold items only and check with sellers here about what they actually got as a reality check. Often what you bought thinking it was a killer bargain may have been fair market value. Lastly, when looking at ebay prices, keep the fees in mind which are always higher than you thought they would be.
That doesn't make buying selling and riding bikes less fun but the actual sale prices are often lower than one might expect.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
A guy sold a Compact SL in a 56 here for $1850 this fall. There was a lot of interest (including from me- bad timing), but it didn't exactly fly off the shelf.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowpicker View Post
I don't think Moots has made these since 2007. More than a couple of years ago. A very nice looking 53.5 (54) frame just sold on the bay for $1575.
That was the Vamoots SL not the Compact SL and did not come with a fork. Compact SL is very rare and do not come up very often in comparison with the Vamoots SL.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 PM

compact sl's (or vamoots sl's) rarely come about, esp. in a 54-55. even better if it's got the ouzo pro or alpha q, or an edge fork, simply in terms of looks (i'm not a fan of the newer style moots forks).

jon sorry i'm not in a position to grab it at this time, i've got other projects incoming otherwise we'd be talkin'. good luck with the sale.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Sl

Hi
Back online again - weekend with 3 kids means no time online or out on the road for that matter!

My terminology of ‘Almost NOS’ means in this context that the frame has been ridden but would almost pass for new, not a mark or it apart from perhaps where the front mech clamp has been. Didn’t mean to open up a can of worms, just thought I’d ask the more experienced guys on here what they thought the current state of the market was for a near nea Compact SL.

Mods feel free to close.

Thanks
Jon