Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM

RI - flats around where I live.

Biggest reason for the possible change is bike position. I need something more relaxed than my Geekhouse Mudville (anyone interested in 56 canti ping me) and my old Fat Chance TI (same on the later). Do I need anything this fancy no, but tough sh*t, I like nicer stuff to work and sit on....

thx
Old 09-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Fat Chance Ti!!

mmm
mouth watering here...
I nearly bought one at American Cyclery in SF ca. 1989
Instead I got a one off Ibis Ti mt bike—polished Ti with polished Ti bar and stem.
Both were rigid no shocks. I test rode both albeit for quick spins.
I went for Ibis as I had an Ibis tandem and Scot Nicol was such a nice guy!
If I had not just bought an Erickson 29er rigid...
I would want that Fat Chance
slOjO
Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 AM

I've run 1X and currently Ultegra 2X on gravel and if my rides were 100% gravel, or close to, 1X would be my choice. The issue for me is gravel rides where I live are at most 50% gravel, the rest pavement. I never missed the top end of 1X on gravel, but needed it on pavement. Also, I live in a very hilly area.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:42 AM

Steve, it's not fully clear to me what you're planning to ride on. How much off-road? Just dirt roads, or some singletrack?
I ran a 1x on a road bike here on MV, fairly flat and certainly climbs are short, and riding alone, not in a pack, a gear-inch range of 101-33 worked fine (42T front, 11-34 Ultegra 11s cassette.) I run a 1x11 on my MTB where I have a real stump-pulling gear and spin out at 24-25 mph, which is fine for the singletrack here.
On my dropbar converted softtail Litespeed with file tread 26x2.2 tires, I ride pavement and dirt roads and singletrack. It's the bike I grab for errands and commuting where I know I can get to where I'm headed with a lot of off-pavement riding. The 2.2 tires are great for the occasional deep sandy patches I hit here. That bike is a 2x11, with a 100-18 gear-inch range so I can still get up the short rocky rooty bits of singletrack here. The 42T large ring and 40T large cog in back mean I'm almost always riding that bike in the large ring, almost like a 1X11. I set the cranks to center on the center of the cassette.
On my Anderson all-road, I run 2x11. No singletrack, but dirt roads for sure - it's what I rode on D2R2. 700x37 smooth tires, running 55/60 psi. That bike is 44-33 front and I vary the cassette - 11-40 for D2R2, sometimes 12-34 (an 11-34 with the first cog swapped out). Ranges are 109-23 for D2R2 and 100-27 other times. I liked having the higher top gear for D2R2 where one can easily hit 50 mph on some of the paved downhills (long since spun out at that speed!)
Are you riding your Firefly? How is that geared?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Pretty simple, RI road/paths after leaves fall through March. I am riding my Firefly daily to slowly build from my fusion (2nd one). The fusion, of course, has caused some issues with amount of bending. Just jumping up on crossbike with 11'+ bb height and just the feel of the higher bb (my ff is 80mm drop) I don't like. Jumped on the Fat yesterday, after stressing myself paddling, and I said to myself I just won't use the classic mtb setup.

I expect light off road but mainly road use.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 AM

I think I'd go 2X in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Pretty simple, RI road/paths after leaves fall through March. I am riding my Firefly daily to slowly build from my fusion (2nd one). The fusion, of course, has caused some issues with amount of bending. Just jumping up on crossbike with 11'+ bb height and just the feel of the higher bb (my ff is 80mm drop) I don't like. Jumped on the Fat yesterday, after stressing myself paddling, and I said to myself I just won't use the classic mtb setup.

I expect light off road but mainly road use.