Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
For anyone thinking or doing harm to a cyclist because of a cartoon, it isn't the fault of the cartoon, that person has issues.
Well, duh...

But those folks with 'issues' are more likely to go ahead and act out if their view of certain people is reinforced and encouraged by those with similar interests on internet sites, or popular cartoon strips, or media commentators...

... or even leaders of nations.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:21 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Well, duh...

But those folks with 'issues' are more likely to go ahead and act out if their view of certain people is reinforced and encouraged by those with similar interests on internet sites, or popular cartoon strips, or media commentators...

... or even leaders of nations.
Taking this cartoon way too far. If someone does you harm because of this cartoon they have mental issues and would get you for any reason because mature adults can distinguish a cartoon character from a real person.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Beat me to it. Jef the Cyclist. A friendly poke at the creator of Frazz, Jef Mallett. https://www.stand-magazine.com/the-a...or-jef-mallet/
Thanks for linking that, it was a good read.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Something is wrong with both of us because I actually thought the same thing, Ha!
That was my first thought as well. Jef would never carry a lock
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 PM

Not really related to this cartoon, but yesterday I passed a cyclist, giving him about 5 feet. Then came to a stop, and while I was making a right turn, this cyclist passes on my right within a foot of me.

Only takes one to give us all a bad name.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:44 PM

Seinfeld, "Humans They're The Worst!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Not really related to this cartoon, but yesterday I passed a cyclist, giving him about 5 feet. Then came to a stop, and while I was making a right turn, this cyclist passes on my right within a foot of me.

Only takes one to give us all a bad name.
People can be jerks no matter the uniform. But people can't disparage hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of one either. Normal people don't do that.

Control what you can control, how you interact with others will have more bearing on events if we're honest.

And always have the ability to laugh at yourself.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 PM

I think Pastis has the arrogant roadie prick down pretty well. Every time I see Jef the Cyclist, I am reminded of past or present riding buddies. My wife says I'm not completely innocent some of Jef's attitudes.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:10 PM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
I think Pastis has the arrogant roadie prick down pretty well. Every time I see Jef the Cyclist, I am reminded of past or present riding buddies. My wife says I'm not completely innocent some of Jef's attitudes.
It's funny because there's some truth in it. That's why good jokes are funny, it's a humorous exaggeration of a truth.

It reminds me of the tongue in cheek Velominati rules. It's a joke but some cyclist actually adher to a few if them

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/

When they started some 9-10 years ago, The Rules helped codify some of the unwritten roadie traditions while also mocking those traditions. It was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Unfortunately, irony and satire are often too sophisticated for the general cycling public. The pompous, self-righteous, self-appointed road cycling mandarins who imagined they were promoting road cycling by protecting its purity and excluding those who did not cycle according to the rules latched onto The Rules as proof that they were right.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/getmytr...nce-begin/amp/
Old 08-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
It's funny because there's some truth in it. That's why good jokes are funny, it's a humorous exaggeration of a truth.

It reminds me of the tongue in cheek Velominati rules. It's a joke but some cyclist actually adher to a few if them

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/comment-page-8/

When they started some 9-10 years ago, The Rules helped codify some of the unwritten roadie traditions while also mocking those traditions. It was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Unfortunately, irony and satire are often too sophisticated for the general cycling public. The pompous, self-righteous, self-appointed road cycling mandarins who imagined they were promoting road cycling by protecting its purity and excluding those who did not cycle according to the rules latched onto The Rules as proof that they were right.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/getmytr...nce-begin/amp/
The best part…
"12,412 Replies to “The Rules”"
Old 08-17-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
People can be jerks no matter the uniform. But people can't disparage hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of one either. Normal people don't do that.
you are way more charitable of the human race than I am. from celebrities such as Clarkson to the comment section of any newspaper article about a motor-vehicle caused bike accident, this is exactly what an average person does: saying something to the effect that cyclists are nuisances, and implying that it's either their own fault (or worse, that cyclists had it coming). Outside of the comments on places like WaPo and NYT, such comments would actually get the most "likes".

Which brings us to the bigger picture. Your take of the cartoon is by default different from that of the average audience. You, I, and other roadies see the cartoon and recognize that the person illustrated is a caricature. I'm not sure the average audience views it the same way; s/he may think that the phenomenon illustrated is so pervasive, thus causing the illustrator to dedicate a panel to it. Whatever nuances you and I may see gets tossed out of the window.

This strip does nothing but to reinforce the stereotype of cyclists. No, it likely won't result in people coming after cyclists, but are you as certain that it won't result in people having a more negative view of cyclists?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
you are way more charitable of the human race than I am. from celebrities such as Clarkson to the comment section of any newspaper article about a motor-vehicle caused bike accident, this is exactly what an average person does: saying something to the effect that cyclists are nuisances, and implying that it's either their own fault (or worse, that cyclists had it coming). Outside of the comments on places like WaPo and NYT, such comments would actually get the most "likes".

Which brings us to the bigger picture. Your take of the cartoon is by default different from that of the average audience. You, I, and other roadies see the cartoon and recognize that the person illustrated is a caricature. I'm not sure the average audience views it the same way; s/he may think that the phenomenon illustrated is so pervasive, thus causing the illustrator to dedicate a panel to it. Whatever nuances you and I may see gets tossed out of the window.

This strip does nothing but to reinforce the stereotype of cyclists. No, it likely won't result in people coming after cyclists, but are you as certain that it won't result in people having a more negative view of cyclists?
The irony is that I'm having discourse about people who can't separate a cartoon from reality with people who can't separate a cartoon from reality
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
The irony is that I'm having discourse about people who can't separate a cartoon from reality with people who can't separate a cartoon from reality
So go with a drole ad hominem as opposed to debating the merits?

You seemed to have missed an irony of your own making

Quote:

Control what you can control, how you interact with others will have more bearing on events if we're honest.

And always have the ability to laugh at yourself.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 PM

There Were No Victims This Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
So go with a drole ad hominem as opposed to debating the merits?

You seemed to have missed an irony of your own making
To exhibit the conviction of a belief that is unfounded and based on a stereotype is a mirror image of the person you fear that would do exactly the same from a cartoon.

It's a humorous cartoon, adults get it.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

OMG you guys it’s a friggin cartoon. It’s 1am and I just rolled in from a 10 hour search and rescue mission. I’m happy that we were successful, wasted because I was humping some 40 pounds of gear about 15 miles and I can’t believe you are arguing over a cartoon.
It’s lampooning and both my cycling and non-cycling friends recognize it. My cycling friends are the ones who really think Jef the cyclist is funny. We need to laugh at ourselves.
Take a slow deep breath. I’ve had more friends die in the mountains than on a bicycle. They’re both dangerous we just do our best to minimize risk.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:00 AM

Absolutely

Exactly, it's a humorous cartoon, people!

Of all the things I have to fear as a cyclist, a Pearls Before Swine Cartoon in no way resides among them.

I hope some of these aren't dentist or lawyers, they couldn't handle the jokes