Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This thread is full of nostalgia and anecdotes, and very little in the way of actual quantitative data.
Yup, so why don't you show us some?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Yup, so why don't you show us some?
I don’t work for a bicycle component manufacturer with access to failure rates and warranty data. Nor am I aware of any published data on the same.

Without that information, I’m not willing to offer definitive statements on reliability, function, whatever over an entire companies’ products. I’d guess that all 3 major component companies are within a standard deviation with respect to product failures.

I do know that humans are generally bad at estimating things by feel (absent actual math) and highly prone to confirmation bias. This thread is a master class in confirmation bias.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I don’t work for a bicycle component manufacturer with access to failure rates and warranty data. Nor am I aware of any published data on the same.

Without that information, I’m not willing to offer definitive statements on reliability, function, whatever over an entire companies’ products. I’d guess that all 3 major component companies are within a standard deviation with respect to product failures.

I do know that humans are generally bad at estimating things by feel (absent actual math) and highly prone to confirmation bias. This thread is a master class in confirmation bias.
Wait, you commented about the lack of quantitative evidence but can't back up what you sounded like you knew a lot about. So in other words you too are a master of confirmation bias...absent of any facts to support what you're screaming about.

When Consumer Reports does their reliability studies they get their information by sending letters to their subscription base and their supporters who then respond on various things they bought. Lets take appliances for example. In 1973 a CR reported that the average appliance life expectancy was 24 years, today it's 8 years, this is not information that CR got from failure rates the manufacture supplied them with, do you really think that manufactures are going to tell the general public about their own failure rates? Wow, if every company did that a lot companies would go out of business, either that or it would force them to substantially improve their products which would be good thing for us but companies would never do that because it's a closely held secret; and on the same token companies are not going to release their warranty claims ratios either because of potential damage it could cause. So CR gets the information from people that use the products.

And that's the only way anyone here can tell you if (a) certain product(s) were or are more reliable than others and when were they, all because of first hand experience. You can't even trust most online or magazine reviews because the companies and products they review are advertisers with them, and if they give some product of a major advertiser an F grade, or a one star grade, that company will pull it's money out. So instead the magazine or online site says flowery stuff like instead of saying that SRAM X1 is a piece of garbage that's always having issues, they say stuff like SRAM is constantly looking at ways to improve the X1, much prettier don't you think? and since SRAM does heavy advertising with that company instead of saying it gets a 1 star rating they rate it 4 1/2 stars because there's room for improvement, also another pretty way of saying it's crap. Not picking of X1 by the way just an example.

So that's what forums are all about, peoples first hand (users) knowledge of said products that they then inform the rest of us about any issues and what to expect or even how to correct certain issues if possible.