Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 03-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Levi's Gran Fondo

Hi Just signed up for this event. Was looking to hear from people who did this event. Did you like it? How did you find the route? i was told today by one rider who did this event and also owns a local bike shop that for this race in particular he did not recommend rim brakes, saying there's a steep descent at Hauser Bridge road that has historically blown tires.

Thoughts, insights, and recommendations welcome
Old 03-17-2018, 11:59 PM

The 100 miler is a good test. The descent is totally doable on rim brakes .. it is quite steep though.. questionable road surface and around -16% at the steepest . That descent is not very long though.

I’m done doing 100 miles plus.. if I did it again I’d aim for something in the 60-70 miles range personally.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Vendor

I've ridden it maybe 3 or 4 times on my rim brake bike and I'd say the vast majority of bikes are rim brake. If it's raining (which it was for one of the years I rode it), carbon and rim brakes might make things a little sketchy. There was a period of time when the organizers had a strong recommendation against carbon clinchers because of over heating blowouts from dragging brakes. Not sure what the status is now since I haven't done the ride for the last few years. The riding out there is beautiful. I was a little disappointed by the post-ride food. You get to pick only a single entree. The paella IMHO is the one to get but others have the same idea so the line is really long. One year I got in and all the booths ran out of food except for the hot dog one. I think the course marshals and cops do a pretty good job with the road closures. It's a madhouse at the start. They try and stage it but it's still a madhouse for a few of the early miles.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM
v a n i l l a

I (and others) made some relevant comments here
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ndo-49437.html