Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
also, condolences to wc1934 re: il Azzurri . That was uninspiring and disappointing.
Yup.. Very disappointing. You would have thought they were playing a Spain or Germany as they looked so ineffective. They just sat back after they got the lead. They needed a nice win to avoid a poor seed - I don't want to play Portugal or Denmark.
They clearly needed a quality midfielder - no DeRossi, no Verratti, no Marchisio (no Pirlo - haha) - so why not play Jorginho (who by the way plays for Napoli). I would like to go with the youth - start Bernardeschi and Rugani etc.
Gigi did look good in the Azzurri kit.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:58 PM

I don't know anything about soccer. But have noticed in Orlando soccer is drawing bigger crowds in their new stadium than the much publicized various bowl games in the local Tangerine Bowl. It must be driving the old guard nuts.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Phew. Nice that France scraped past Bulgaria in Sofia. Les Bleus have a dismal record there, and Bulgaria just beat Sweden there. France has all this amazing young group of players but they haven't clicked together as a team yet.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Yup.. Very disappointing. You would have thought they were playing a Spain or Germany as they looked so ineffective. They just sat back after they got the lead. They needed a nice win to avoid a poor seed - I don't want to play Portugal or Denmark.
They clearly needed a quality midfielder - no DeRossi, no Verratti, no Marchisio (no Pirlo - haha) - so why not play Jorginho (who by the way plays for Napoli). I would like to go with the youth - start Bernardeschi and Rugani etc.
Gigi did look good in the Azzurri kit.
you know the answer: what they need is a real goal-scoring threat, like Giovinco

Also, isn't it about time that Donnaruma gets a shot between the sticks? As good as Buffon has been, dude is getting up there in age
Old 10-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
you know the answer: what they need is a real goal-scoring threat, like Giovinco

Also, isn't it about time that Donnaruma gets a shot between the sticks? As good as Buffon has been, dude is getting up there in age
Where is Seb - I went to a Revolution game a few weeks back just to see him - he was no where to be seen - I would like to see him on the team - they dont call him the atomic ant for nothing - Is it because he is playing in the MSL.
As for Gigi - yes he is getting old but Donnaruma is still Gianluigi at this point in his career.
Now you got me all worked up again -
Old 10-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
also, condolences to wc1934 re: il Azzurri . That was uninspiring and disappointing.
Add me to the list; ITA are killing me. There does not seem to be any one real answer which would upright this team. It is a bad year. Beating Albania will only set up more delusions I think.
Pegoretti
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Add me to the list; ITA are killing me. There does not seem to be any one real answer which would upright this team. It is a bad year. Beating Albania will only set up more delusions I think.
Take heart, sir. Wouldn't be the first time ITA limped into the WC. And then proceeded to run the table.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Take heart, sir. Wouldn't be the first time ITA limped into the WC. And then proceeded to run the table.
I really hope so, but I don't see the "motori" behind this team that those squads had.
This team seems more like South Africa 2010 to me.
Pegoretti
Old 10-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I was wondering about your absence from the latest few threads.

But you know who might be in even deeper doodoo than Italia? One team from the august triumvirate of Colombia, Chile, and Argentina. Just think of the ensuing polemica
Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:

But you know who might be in even deeper doodoo than Italia? One team from the august triumvirate of Colombia, Chile, and Argentina. Just think of the ensuing polemica
No kidding.
ARG/Messi especially would never hear the end of it from the coke-head....

And Holland is in dire straits too...what a complete disaster.
Pegoretti

Last edited by cadence90; 10-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
No kidding.
ARG/Messi especially would never hear the end of it from the coke-head....

And Holland is in dire straits too...what a complete disaster.
Holland can't qualify I think, would have to beat Sweden by 8 goals or some crazy number. That soccer crazy (and bike crazy) place can't be happy. 2nd and 3rd in last two WCs and now will have failed to qualify for last Euro and WC, yikes!
Probably not comparable to what will happen if Messi & co mess up. Can't see that happening. Just hoping my team takes care of business against Belarus! Yes, I know, all the talent in the world, but stubbed toe previously against Belarus
Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Holland can't qualify I think, would have to beat Sweden by 8 goals or some crazy number. That soccer crazy (and bike crazy) place can't be happy. 2nd and 3rd in last two WCs and now will have failed to qualify for last Euro and WC, yikes!
Probably not comparable to what will happen if Messi & co mess up. Can't see that happening. Just hoping my team takes care of business against Belarus! Yes, I know, all the talent in the world, but stubbed toe previously against Belarus
Yes, it would take a major, major miracle. They don't deserve that.

Your team is FRA? At the Stade? In like Flynn...
Pegoretti
Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:

yup - who would have thought that Argentina would have trouble scoring goals
Old 10-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Criminy, the USMNT is caught in a *****show today. Ato Boldon Stadium is completely flooded (have you seen the pictures of the moat around the pitch). They have been using pumps to empty the surrounding track, but that isn't going to do much to help the field drain. Pulisic is still nursing his calf, which received a direct kick last match (saw the replay and it was worse than it looked in real time).

This is a must-win to secure their WC spot. A draw will probably work given their goal differential, but best to take that out of the equation altogether. Still, do they want to put their best 11 on a pitch like this and risk injuries? You know BVB doesn't want to see Pulisic out there, and the teams holding the rest of the squad don't want their guys out there either.

Arena is going to get second-guessed no matter what happens, but that goes with the job. All I can say is good luck to all, I hope the US wins and nobody on either side gets hurt.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would take a major, major miracle. They don't deserve that.

Your team is FRA? At the Stade? In like Flynn...
Holland needs 7-0 vs Sweden tonight to make it to another qualifier round. Not gonna happen..