Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
May 11, 1987.

That was't Zlatan's time, so does it count? The player who made it happen it was a "little" better than Zlatan though.
OHHHH IT COUNTS!!! Maybe this is the year they win the scudetto. They have a great attacking game but defense maybe a problem for the champions league (e.g. couldnt keep a clean sheet yesterday), but less so for serie A.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Appears to have gotten walloped by PSG. Damn...
Arrivederci Signore Ancelotti, didn't take long.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:21 PM

Thing is, what good does it even serve? The drop-off in goal keeper ability is large, but they can't go sign another one right now. Whom are they going to hire in the mean time? Perhaps Louis van Gaal could come in for another stint (given the fubar situation with De Oranje)?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Arsenal are destroying it today! 3-0 in the 26th minute! woo hoo
Old 09-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Thing is, what good does it even serve? The drop-off in goal keeper ability is large, but they can't go sign another one right now. Whom are they going to hire in the mean time? Perhaps Louis van Gaal could come in for another stint (given the fubar situation with De Oranje)?
Several options...
Maybe Sagnol who's taking over for now will stay on, depends on how things are going.
Julian Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim) has been mentioned already before the discussions about Ancelotti started and Tuchel (formerly Dortmund) is available too.
Nagelsmann would be interesting, the guy is 30 years old.
Maybe even Jupp Heynckes got a call...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Several options...
Maybe Sagnol who's taking over for now will stay on, depends on how things are going.
Julian Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim) has been mentioned already before the discussions about Ancelotti started and Tuchel (formerly Dortmund) is available too.
Nagelsmann would be interesting, the guy is 30 years old.
Maybe even Jupp Heynckes got a call...
hope you placed a few quids on that

-----

damn, all the Conmebol teams are playing like zombies. The ball doesn't seem to go in for Argentina. Would be interesting if Peru manages to squeeze one past Arg...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Not a done deal yet.

Quote:
hope you placed a few quids on that

-----

damn, all the Conmebol teams are playing like zombies. The ball doesn't seem to go in for Argentina. Would be interesting if Peru manages to squeeze one past Arg...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM

I just read up on the background of this qualification cycle and realized that Peru and Chile were both gifted points as they both played against a Bolivia team that fielded an ineligible player. Chile tied the game at home, and Peru lost away. Without those 2 and 3 points, respectively, the table would look very different. If i were the other teams in the conference, I'd have called for a replay as opposed to this absurdity.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:26 AM

That deft touch at the tightest of angles to squeeze the ball past the posts. Impressive. The MNT partisans here may just have something to look forward to in the years ahead.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:46 AM

this kid could be the best player weve ever had
Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
this kid could be the best player weve ever had
Oh yeah!
Did you see the segment on 60 minutes? Nice family/nice kid. He just only turned 19 and will only get better. I worry about the beating he is taking - in the game against CR he was the subject of a number of questionably dirty plays - need to protect him more.
As an aside, I was hoping that Dempsey would score as he is one goal away from Donovan's record.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
I worry about the beating he is taking - in the game against CR he was the subject of a number of questionably dirty plays - need to protect him more. As an aside, I was hoping that Dempsey would score as he is one goal away from Donovan's record.
I agree. But he can't count on the refs, especially CONCACAF ones. He needs to learn to pass just a bit sooner rather than just dribbling around defenders. Yes, he has the ability to do it, but most teams will commit the technical foul before he gets to the box rather than let someone of his caliber break through to goal.

Personally, I don't like Dempsey and, while I want him to do well for the benefit of the national team, I am not looking forward to him owning the record. Anyways, it's just a matter of time until Pulisic gets it.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 PM
needs adult supervision

I'm glad the kid is playing his club football in Germany. The level of competition and coaching should help him reach his potential. He sure looks like the real deal.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Oh yeah!
Did you see the segment on 60 minutes? Nice family/nice kid. He just only turned 19 and will only get better. I worry about the beating he is taking - in the game against CR he was the subject of a number of questionably dirty plays - need to protect him more.
As an aside, I was hoping that Dempsey would score as he is one goal away from Donovan's record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I agree. But he can't count on the refs, especially CONCACAF ones. He needs to learn to pass just a bit sooner rather than just dribbling around defenders. Yes, he has the ability to do it, but most teams will commit the technical foul before he gets to the box rather than let someone of his caliber break through to goal.
True, though technical foul doesn't quite capture the cynicism and viciousness of the fouls. I think of soccer technical fouls as dragging down or wrapping up a breakaway player at midfield and taking a card for the team. This was more calf/shin/foot stomping, just so that they can intimidate and/or injure. Poor dude was limping off the field, and I hope he's alright as the team needs him on Tuesday. Then there was the foot stab that Wood took to the groin, the elbow Besler to his eye socket, and Gonzo getting flipped over the hoardings. Beyond the pale what goes on in Concacaf

Quote:
Personally, I don't like Dempsey and, while I want him to do well for the benefit of the national team, I am not looking forward to him owning the record. Anyways, it's just a matter of time until Pulisic gets it.
I share the same view on both points. Dempsey plays with a chip on his shoulder and carries a mean streak, but that emotion could so easily bubble over (his antics against the ref in a domestic cup match two years ago, for example). At this rate, Pulisic may well get the record in 8 or 9 years, at the grand age of 27 or 28, , all from the midfield, and no penalties so far. And doubtless that when he breaks the record, he'll also have racked up quite a few assists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I'm glad the kid is playing his club football in Germany. The level of competition and coaching should help him reach his potential. He sure looks like the real deal.
Definitely. Not to mention that the German refs take fouls pretty seriously. I'd hate to see him get roughed up by the EPL goons.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:07 PM

also, condolences to wc1934 re: il Azzurri . That was uninspiring and disappointing.