Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 PM

My single speed has M6 bolts with a 5mm hex head that thread in to the axle. I think Chris King makes a hub like that too. I like it because I don't have to worry about someone grabbing my wheel if I'm leaving the bike locked somewhere for a few minutes, and I'm already in the habit of carrying a set of hex wrenches.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Randomhead

the DT 9 and 10mm skewers i have are basically fancy wingnuts. It's kinda funny to me, but they work great. I have thought that I would like wingnuts on a TA bike. The only real problem with wingnuts came when horizontal dropouts replaced vertical dropouts. Who knows why that happened, but we have reverted back.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
It took me three days to remove a set of 700x34c tires on a tubeless rim set. I would work on it for an hour and stop cause I couldn't get it. And every tire lever started to damage the rim. Didn't matter what I did. Freaking horrible! Almost cut the tires off I was that stuck. Even called the tire and rim manufacturer. They had no answers. Eventually I got them off. 3 DAYS!!!
If you don't mind me asking, what tires and rims?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Who doesn't carry a multi tool on a ride?

Thru axle is mo Betta for disc.
+1 That's just user error.

I spec'd Paragon skewers on my second thru axle bike as I like the sleekness without the lever. You can use a 5mm hex (thread end), 6mm hex (head end) or 12mm flat (head end).

If one wants a thru axle with a lever you can buy one.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator

it's a good reminder that even if you don't consider yourself a capable mechanic, anyone who rides bicycles seriously and over a 10 minute walk from their home should have an understanding of basic, common field repairs.

as a workaround - i always carry the small park patch kit that's about the size of a quarter. has bailed me out a number of times when i go through more than one tube on the road. of course, you can patch a tube without removing the wheel from the bike if you needed to in a pinch.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM

I'd say...with disc thru-axle bikes, get used to it. Many of the bikes I have seen for 2018 are spec'd with 6mm heads. Probably nicer on the bearing races.

Except for quick change race wheels, do we really need QR wheels?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Except for quick change race wheels, do we really need QR wheels?
sure is easier for me. my bike is in the hatch of my jeep all the time with the front wheel off, and on my fork mounted roof rack pretty often too.

you wont see me buying a bike that doesnt use a standard QR wheelset anytime soon, but my needs and wants may be different than others.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:

this is the great question. why doesnt he have tools and why did he not notice that the bike does not have quick release skewers?

its insane that there are some people out there ridding that don't even know how to change a tire (not your friend but some other people)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
this is the great question. why doesnt he have tools and why did he not notice that the bike does not have quick release skewers?

its insane that there are some people out there ridding that don't even know how to change a tire (not your friend but some other people)
I may skimp a bit and, say, just bring sealant rather than a full spare tubie on a shorter ride, but man. No multi-tool? That's just asking for trouble.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:

They did have multi tools, just not the right one.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

There are many folks who ride and don't know how to maintain and work on their bikes.
Not long ago I bought canti's from a seller. These canti's had carbon brake pads the seller wanted to keep. The seller contacted me and said he was not able to remove the pads ("they were pressed in") so he sent the canti's (would have told him how however he already sent them) with the pads. The other day while on a ride I met up with someone who was complaining about Sram due to his noisy rear der. I dropped behind him and I could clearly see his der was out of alignment. I adjusted it for him, he was surprised it was so easy and how quiet it was running.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, not being able to work or know how your bike operates. However, its when folks (nothing to do with the OP) make negative comments regarding the performance of components or products not understood, installed improperly, neglected or not tuned correctly, well that's bad.

Last edited by Tony; 10-12-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what tires and rims?
It was a set of WTB Exposure 700x34c tires. They are kevlar beaded/folding tires.
The rims were Reynolds ATR Carbon Clincher wheels.

They freaking sucked huge. I was terrified when I saw the rim bead starting to fracture. I still have no clue how I got them off. My hands were crazy sore and I was super pissed.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
They did have multi tools, just not the right one.
I'll rephrase: Who brings the wrong multi-tool on a ride?

Because the one you can't use is the wrong tool.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Mise en place applies to bikes too.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I'll rephrase: Who brings the wrong multi-tool on a ride?

Because the one you can't use is the wrong tool.
I get what your saying.
I've had the wrong multi tool on a couple of occasions, once I needed a small flat head screw driver for a cleat that came loose, had everything but that, another time a T-10 Torx wrench. I don't worry about weight anymore when it comes to a multi tool, now carry a Crank Bros Multi-19, has it all.

How many here that stay on the road carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%

Last edited by Tony; 10-12-2017 at 01:21 PM.