Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Criminy, the USMNT is caught in a *****show today. Ato Boldon Stadium is completely flooded (have you seen the pictures of the moat around the pitch). They have been using pumps to empty the surrounding track, but that isn't going to do much to help the field drain. Pulisic is still nursing his calf, which received a direct kick last match (saw the replay and it was worse than it looked in real time).

This is a must-win to secure their WC spot. A draw will probably work given their goal differential, but best to take that out of the equation altogether. Still, do they want to put their best 11 on a pitch like this and risk injuries? You know BVB doesn't want to see Pulisic out there, and the teams holding the rest of the squad don't want their guys out there either.

Arena is going to get second-guessed no matter what happens, but that goes with the job. All I can say is good luck to all, I hope the US wins and nobody on either side gets hurt.
Arena is a terrible coach, so boring, so predictable, so American. I wonder when we will get ourselves a real coach to make the program legitimate?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Arena is a terrible coach, so boring, so predictable, so American. I wonder when we will get ourselves a real coach to make the program legitimate?
I can't say I disagree, but he's doing exactly what he was hired to do: not be Klinsmann, stop experimenting, and limp the predictable squad into qualifying for the WC. I don't think the expectations are any higher and, frankly, this group of players don't have the talent to do anything more than that. I suppose qualifying is better than not (looking at you Netherlands), but it's disappointing to have such a low bar for measuring success.

I'm hoping that in the future, whatever young talent we have goes to any European league other than the EPL to develop. That's not just because of Pulisic's success, but it seems to me that the EPL is horrible at developing young talent, especially non-English born.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Criminy, the USMNT is caught in a *****show today. Ato Boldon Stadium is completely flooded (have you seen the pictures of the moat around the pitch). They have been using pumps to empty the surrounding track, but that isn't going to do much to help the field drain. Pulisic is still nursing his calf, which received a direct kick last match (saw the replay and it was worse than it looked in real time).

This is a must-win to secure their WC spot. A draw will probably work given their goal differential, but best to take that out of the equation altogether. Still, do they want to put their best 11 on a pitch like this and risk injuries? You know BVB doesn't want to see Pulisic out there, and the teams holding the rest of the squad don't want their guys out there either.

Arena is going to get second-guessed no matter what happens, but that goes with the job. All I can say is good luck to all, I hope the US wins and nobody on either side gets hurt.
I think you are being too generous there: one single pump working OT is what I saw. And the temerity of the T&T federation to talk back is a bit too much; then again, their head until a few years ago was a certain Jack Warner...

it's a total FUBAR of a situation. Pulisic is actually injured, due to some extreme bush league stuff by the Panamanians. Stinking Concacaf...
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM

Too little, too late for the Dutch, which is unfortunate

Looks like Ronaldo et al. are assured of a World Cup berth. I think they may overachieve yet again
Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Holland needs 7-0 vs Sweden tonight to make it to another qualifier round. Not gonna happen..
Wow, you really go way out on a limb in making your predictions!!!

If it is ITA-SWE in the playoff, ouch for one of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
He's 1000% awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Too little, too late for the Dutch, which is unfortunate

Looks like Ronaldo et al. are assured of a World Cup berth. I think they may overachieve yet again
NED are in for a major overhaul. They have lost it all, every single last drop remaining from the Cruyff era, and I assume Robben will not be around for the next Euro/WC.

POR are good; GER, BEL (Hazard Bros show today), FRA (but the FRA group was easy) are flying ; I'm still very afraid of ITA failing in the playoffs. ...Greece, Sweden, Ireland, Northern Ireland are no pushovers, esp. the first two.
Pegoretti
Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
POR are good; GER, BEL (Hazard Bros show today), FRA (but the FRA group was easy) are flying ; I'm still very afraid of ITA failing in the playoffs. ...Greece, Sweden, Ireland, Northern Ireland are no pushovers, esp. the first two.
Northern Ireland is apparently seeded, Denmark isn't. Greece would appear to be the weakest of the bunch by Elo rankings, followed by Ireland. Denmark and Sweden both have legitimate good players
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Northern Ireland is apparently seeded, Denmark isn't. Greece would appear to be the weakest of the bunch by Elo rankings, followed by Ireland. Denmark and Sweden both have legitimate good players
I thought Denmark landed in the other (Croatia) draw? I can't quite figure it out, but I think the playoff pairings will be announced tomorrow.

Yes, Greece might be weak on paper, but they often give ITA fits, hence the fear (plus I'm ITA-paranoid anyway... )
Pegoretti
Old 10-10-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I thought Denmark landed in the other (Croatia) draw? I can't quite figure it out, but I think the playoff pairings will be announced tomorrow.

Yes, Greece might be weak on paper, but they often give ITA fits, hence the fear (plus I'm ITA-paranoid anyway... )
Yup - Italy/Ireland?
Yesterdays game was awful to watch - Eder started and did absolutely nothing -I don't know what they see in him. That 4-2-4 is not working -it is a formation that they are not used to (I dont think it is employed by any team in Serie A) - look what happened when they played Spain.
They had Lorenzo tracking way back on defense - wore him out and did not allow him to do this thing with multiple touches. WOW - it was painful!!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:

I whiffed on that one. You are right after all (as is often the case). One FIFA ranking I was looking at had Northern Ireland placed higher, alas getting seeded.

In other news, Arg conceded in less than a full minute...

-----

in other news, Messi apparently in beast mode tonite; 1-2 Ecu-Arg

Last edited by echappist; 10-10-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 PM

looks like MNT can schedule games against Peru and the Dutch come summer 2018

edit: mistake, I meant Chile and not Peru

Last edited by echappist; 10-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Sooo bad. heads MUST roll - Sunil and Arena to begin with.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Hiddink or Gullit would be good replacements for coach. No idea who should succeed Gulati
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Hiddink or Gullit would be good replacements for coach. No idea who should succeed Gulati
ceo flynn needs to go as well
Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 PM

btw, someone (presumably very upset Chilean fans) are having fun with the wikipedia page on Conmebol qualification, which is how I initially thought that Peru was out. It's gone back and forth a few times between who's in 5th.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ceo flynn needs to go as well
Agree on all counts. What a disaster.

My old college art history professor (an admitted elitist snob, but very good as a teacher) used to say, "People who look stupid are stupid, very often." in discussing Brueghel and the rise of realism in Flemish painting.

I always found that remark vulgar, but maybe the old prof was on to something, as this certainly could be a Brueghel face....

Quote:
btw, someone (presumably very upset Chilean fans) are having fun with the wikipedia page on Conmebol qualification, which is how I initially thought that Peru was out. It's gone back and forth a few times between who's in 5th.
Isn't ultraman Chliean? Hmmmm....
Pegoretti