Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
4 counts of assault and battery, 4 counts of attempted homicide with a deadly weapon, 4 counts of reckless driving, 4 years for each count sounds about right.

Hopefully he'll never get a license again.
$50,000 bail for trying to kill people?
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by einreb View Post
$50,000 bail for trying to kill people?
It's cause he's white and it was just cyclists.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
4 counts of assault and battery, 4 counts of attempted homicide with a deadly weapon, 4 counts of reckless driving, 4 years for each count sounds about right.

Hopefully he'll never get a license again.
by the looks of the pictures, i'm guessing the witness was a motorcyclist with helmet cam. i'm also guessing that he cooperated with police on site if he turned over these images so quickly. the tough part for most witnesses is if they're willing to endure the grind of a trial. i'm hoping he does and that the driver is convicted of the most serious of these charges. whoever is prosecuting this, go get him!

i will never get used to these stories.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:19 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:

Hopefully he'll never breathe free air again.
ftfy

The charges and sentences for violent actions by drivers have been increasing of late, the trend is in the right direction.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
It's cause he's white
Enough with the race baiting. You are seriously insufferable. Some scumbag nearly kills four people and you somehow manage to squeeze your (ongoing) race agenda into the narrative. GTFO with that nonsense.

This is the second time in less than two days that you've done this.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
It's cause he's white and it was just cyclists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Enough with the race baiting. You are seriously insufferable. Some scumbag nearly kills four people and you somehow manage to squeeze your (ongoing) race agenda into the narrative. GTFO with that nonsense.

Allow me to take the thought one step farther. You are here representing a company, it is not in your company's best interest for you to take a controversial political stance. Right, wrong or indifferent, it has the potential to turn off a unknown number of potential customers. Then there is the the fact that those who manage this forum have rules against political discussions. It looks quite bad for a paid sponsor to be breaking that rule.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Allow me to take the thought one step farther. You are here representing a company,...
I disagree. I see nowhere is he representing a company in the bicycle industry.

I may vaguely know he's in the business, but I have never associated his participation as on behalf of a company.

On another forum I read, there is a member named Ritchey Guy or something similar. He explicitly states he is there to answer questions regarding Ritchey products. Now THAT is representing a company.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I disagree. I see nowhere is he representing a company in the bicycle industry.

I may vaguely know he's in the business, but I have never associated his participation as on behalf of a company.

On another forum I read, there is a member named Ritchey Guy or something similar. He explicitly states he is there to answer questions regarding Ritchey products. Now THAT is representing a company.
Unless I'm mistaken, he's with Enigma who is in the header of the page.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Steel..what else??

Believe.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:36 PM

a perfect microcosm

do your PhD thesis on the group dynamics of the Paceline Forum. We are the world.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 PM
ZhugeLiang

Here in Austin
Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Ahh yes. The false dichotomy. I couldn't get a cab so I had to drive myself, an attempt to remove all other possible options from discussion.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:17 PM
cmg

austin incident.

Meanwhile, the man on the bike was unconscious, but still breathing when officers pulled up. Austin-Travis County EMS rushed him to the hospital. He had bleeding to his brain, cuts to his scalp, multiple rib fractures and a punctured lung.

A neighbor of the victim told KXAN the man is still at Dell Seton Medical Center.

with those kind of injuries he will be in the hospital for awhile,
Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
What is the driver's name?
Aaron Michael Paff, 21, of Novato.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Allow me to take the thought one step farther. You are here representing a company, it is not in your company's best interest for you to take a controversial political stance. Right, wrong or indifferent, it has the potential to turn off a unknown number of potential customers. Then there is the the fact that those who manage this forum have rules against political discussions. It looks quite bad for a paid sponsor to be breaking that rule.

Firstly, I am not taking a political stance. I am pointing out that people who hit or kill cyclists very rarely get a punishment. If you notice, I mentioned that it was "just cyclists" also. And in my experience with two friends who were killed by a driver, it's rare.

I had two friends who were hit and killed by a driver here in Ohio. He claimed that there was sun glare and didn't see the riders. He killed two and injured three. He was charged with two counts of vehicular manslaughter. He was given a bond of $525. That's it. 525 dollars and he was out on bond.

Not only was he able to continue to drive while out on bond, when he went to court, he was found not guilty of all charges! Didn't even get a ticket!!!

He admitted his vision was impaired due to the sun glare. If anyone has ever been given a ticket or been in a car accident, you know that one of the fines is failure to control your vehicle or failure of assured distance. Which also includes things like sun glare. He never ever should've turned if he couldn't see. But he shot the gap and killed two of my friends.

And yes, he was white. If you look at the bonds and court sentences, it is disproportionately kind to white people. Just look at the reporting from NY and people who have been sitting in Rikers Island because they can't afford the bond amount.

You can say I am trying to make this political, it's not. It's just a sad fact of America.

As for my representing a company, yes, I do. That shouldn't stop me for pointing out facts or injustices in the World. So based on you point of my representing a company, if I see someone getting beaten up, I shouldn't get involved in helping the person for fear of it harming my company? Or if there is a person of a particular political party injured, I shouldn't help? Pointing out injustices in the World and trying to fix them or help to fix them isn't a bad thing. It's what we all should do as good citizens of the World.

For the comment of my other posting about James Blake, I posted that cause I thought it was crazy that HE was being sued when he was the one thrown to the ground. Just as I'd say it's crazy if that happened to anyone else who was doing nothing, just standing there and thrown to the ground and then sued for it, black or white! Had nothing to do with race. Had to do with the stupidity of it all.

My problems are that people who hit and injury or even kill cyclists rarely get any kind of penalty. Again, an injustice in the World. That church leader who was super drunk was a rarity. And that's cause she had been busted for DUI before and was a Pastor.