Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2023, 04:53 PM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Just got my replacements but, oh no! Looks like my Absolute Black oval 46/30 chainrings are not gonna fit

SPP
Ahh **** really? I’m waiting for my cranks back, and that’s what I’ve got for rings…
Old 02-21-2024, 02:39 PM

After 1000's of miles on both Ultegra 8000 and DA9100 cranksets, I have had zero issues with either. ZERO!
Old 02-21-2024, 02:48 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
After 1000's of miles on both Ultegra 8000 and DA9100 cranksets, I have had zero issues with either. ZERO!
But many people have said that the cranks have issues from corrosion due to riding in the rain, humid environments, etc. and you live in lovely San Diego. Sincerely, Someone Who Is Sick of the Mid-Atlantic
Old 02-21-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
But many people have said that the cranks have issues from corrosion due to riding in the rain, humid environments, etc. and you live in lovely San Diego. Sincerely, Someone Who Is Sick of the Mid-Atlantic
I've seen several here in SD both before and after the recall was announced.

The consistent sunny weather helps, but it's certainly still a problem both here in SD and everywhere else.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Most people haven't been punched in the face by a Takata airbag either. That doesn't mean the recall isn't important.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:01 PM

Has anyone had a crankset "rejected" by Shimano? Meaning, a shop sends it in for inspection and Shimano returns it as is saying everything checks out?
Old 02-21-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I make a habit of NOT riding in the rain. Rarely have I ever been caught in it either.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Most people haven't been punched in the face by a Takata airbag either. That doesn't mean the recall isn't important.
My niece lost her eye to a Takata airbag and my Shimano crank was a creaking disaster. So I am with you.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I make a habit of NOT riding in the rain. Rarely have I ever been caught in it either.
And I appreciate it. The 8000 crankset I got from you passed the inspection by the LBS. I inspected it myself before I took it to the LBS.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Has anyone had a crankset "rejected" by Shimano? Meaning, a shop sends it in for inspection and Shimano returns it as is saying everything checks out?
My LBS did the inspection based on training provided by Shimano. It never left the shop until I picked it up. If it had failed their inspection, it would have been sent to Shimano, but it passed, so I'm riding it.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:53 AM
Post Mod-ern

My Ultegra 6800 crank passed inspection . . .

. . . at the local Trek store and they provided me with a written receipt that testified to that fact. The receipt now is in an easily located place just in case . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 04-13-2024, 03:04 PM

My crankset passed, however...

The shop I took my Dura Ace 9100 crankset to is what I believe is a national chain. I had a bit of a disappointing experience (crankset is good, no issues) in that the condition I took the crankset was not the condition I got them back in 24 hours later. Basically, the drive side is all scratched up now. I just took in the crankset itself, I saw the guy checking them in set them down on the bench and the stuff on the bench drive side down. I noticed, but didn't think much of it. Should've said something. Basically, said "I'm not saying I don't believe you but...". After complaining to the manager he very reluctantly gave me a small service credit, but honestly I'd be hard pressed to take anything back there especially a bike.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That right there ^. All the "my crankset is solid as a rock" stories are MEANINGLESS to people who had one fail and/or hurt them.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:17 PM

Cranks

I took 6 cranks to local shop and all were returned to shimano. The shop owner said that there was no way he could tell if they would fail with the training shimano provided. Shimano provided 6 new cranks no questions asked.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:17 PM

This retailer is an idiot. Take it to another store

They should just "fail" it and send it back to Shimano. A new crank will appear within 2 weeks, no questions asked

Why stores want to play along with this inspection charade...I just don't understand. They're not engineers or metallurgists, they watched 12 minutes of videos and took a 4 question quiz. No need for the confrontation or the risk on the customer facing end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikser View Post
The shop I took my Dura Ace 9100 crankset to is what I believe is a national chain. I had a bit of a disappointing experience (crankset is good, no issues) in that the condition I took the crankset was not the condition I got them back in 24 hours later. Basically, the drive side is all scratched up now. I just took in the crankset itself, I saw the guy checking them in set them down on the bench and the stuff on the bench drive side down. I noticed, but didn't think much of it. Should've said something. Basically, said "I'm not saying I don't believe you but...". After complaining to the manager he very reluctantly gave me a small service credit, but honestly I'd be hard pressed to take anything back there especially a bike.