Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2023, 12:09 AM

Looking for a bike rec - heavy rider

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...47#post3306547

Hi- I’m back. After riding my Colnago for a little I think I need something more comfortable so I’m returning for more advice.

I’m looking at a canyon gravel bike (grizl cf sl e7). But with keeping my goal in mind (Seattle to portland), is that the wrong move?

In the meantime, I pretty much will only be ridding on asphalt for city commuting. Again, is a gravel bike the wrong move?

Still new to all of this and learning so thank you in advance for the advice.

Also please remember I’m heavier (220 lbs) and that was the original issue with the Colnago bike.

If you have any other bike suggestions, throw them my way!
Old 11-24-2023, 12:47 AM

Canyon is doing a little trick where they add Specialized like internal cable routing by using a new fork and headset on the existing frames. In europe they just released this for the Grizl CF SL frames. It will be coming to the US at some point.

Here is an example: https://www.canyon.com/de-de/gravel-...farbe=R095_P10

I think we should also be seeing a completely new Grizl CF SLX and CFR frame in the next year or so.

Last edited by vertr; 11-24-2023 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:00 AM
You still here?

The Seattle to Portland ride, while long (206) miles has been done by 1, 2 and 3 wheeled bicycles of ALL descriptions. So if you chose a gravel bike to do it, you would be correct.

220lbs isn’t particularly heavy. I’ve been around 205 and have had a wide variety of bikes. I’d tell you to buy a bike that you really/want/like/will ride, regardless of it’s ‘title’.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:18 AM

But also this bike, which I think is the one you are considering is a screaming deal right now with BF: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...farbe=R095_P08
Old 11-24-2023, 01:20 AM

I think it's a good option if you swapped the tires to something a little faster rolling.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

Where does it hurt now?

Which part of the body feels uncomfortable?
Old 11-24-2023, 05:36 AM

I am 220lbs currently. What Colnago are you on and what don't you like about the ride? Are you in pain/discomfort? First thing I would do is look at position/fit after lowering the tire pressure a touch.

Most modern road bikes are fitting 30-32mm tires which can add some comfort. If you are riding pavement I would suggest having a look at some of those. I just built up a Serotta Duetti and find it to be an excellent ride. The framesets are on sale, but are electronic only.

Modern gravel bikes are great, but can have a pretty slack headtube angle, longer chainstays and can be a bit less performance oriented than a road bike. They still make great all around bikes. You can also have a look at allroad bikes. Pretty much a road oriented gravel bike that is still very versatile as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 11-24-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:30 AM

i went back and forth between a Grizl and endurace and glad i went with the endurace CF8. I am close to your weight. I do a fair amount of gravel on mine lighter gravel not really chunky stuff with no issues. I am running 32mm wide tires if I were doing a long gravel ride where the conditions were going to be rougher I would just go to 35mm tires. If you are not going to be doing a fair amount of gravel rides why go with a gravel bike? Also before buying a Canyon check out red dit site and FB and see how many people have issues in the US with customer service. Try getting a small common replacement part like a derailleur hanger or top cap or thru axle or about any common part...
I have put 3000 miles on mine since the end of July and love it but if I had to do it over would think twice after trying to order some basic spare parts.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:15 AM

Why not TI or steel?

Most of big folks I know go with Ti or steel frames. These days Lynskey and Litespeed have very good endurance bikes that would be great for most any ride. Some have enough tire clearance for light gravel.

I am still on a Lynskey R240 rim brake road frame and it was one of the best bike purchases I have made. Have been on it for almost 10 years and still going.

Also look at Habanero disc road bike. See link below:
https://www.habcycles.com/road.html Their pricing is good and the frame design is good if it fits. Has clearance for 32mm tires.

Just a few ideas.

Alan
Old 11-24-2023, 07:59 AM
Vendor

The new Liv Avail Advanced 2 is a sleek and versatile bike that offers a lot of bike for the price. 105 12-speed, disc brakes, tubeless out of the box, room for 38-40mm tires if you ever wanted to take it on chunky off road adventures. Looks sleek and fast, rides like a fast endurance bike (relaxed rider position).
I’d do something like this and run a tire like the Gravel King Slick (or semi slick) in 35mm mode.
220 lbs is not crazy heavy—I sell bikes to road cyclists who weigh at least that much several times a year, and only certain race bikes will come with a disclaimer that this is beyond the weight limit. I think your only concern needs to be, as far as equipment, a reasonably strong wheel (ie stay away from ultralight ‘climbing’ wheels), and likewise not using an ultralight carbon seatpost or carbon railed saddle. Also: If using tubes, heavier riders are more likely to get flat tires. If riding tubeless, more likely to puncture—which does not equal ‘flat’ because the sealant in the tire will keep the tire from going flat 9/10 times.
Going tubeless will allow you to run much lower tire pressures, which will provide a much more comfortable ride. The goal of tubeless road is to run a tire pressure of 50-70 psi. Lighter riders can accomplish this even riding narrow tires. Heavier riders need wider tires. A 220# rider could comfortably run 55-63 psi on a 35mm tire like the Gravel King I recommended above, not sacrifice much speed in doing so, and likely avoid all small puncture flats.

Hope that was helpful!
Old 11-24-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I think it's a good option if you swapped the tires to something a little faster rolling.
Do you have a suggestion for tire? Would it be fine to put road tires on there?
Old 11-24-2023, 12:56 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay_jewell View Post
Do you have a suggestion for tire? Would it be fine to put road tires on there?
Absolutely.

I am 220 currently, my Colnago EP fits 27-8s and I find it comfortable enough.

I'm running 28-30mm road tubulars on 2 bikes that fit bigger. I just don't find bigger that a 30 for road riding better personally.

Also, you should be talking about PSi habits you have. I run 28-30mm tires @ 75-80 psi max.

I should add i considet tubular tire ride quality = to bigger Clinchers. So a 28mm tubular = 30-2mm clincher.

you should ask/talk about tubeless, latex, TPU in your plans/choices also.

Last edited by robt57; 11-24-2023 at 02:16 PM.

Tags
canyon, recommend, weight