Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K
RA;
I'm glad to hear that you had such a positive experience despite having to abandon. When I read that you were out, I was truly concerned that you would be really bummed. It sounds like you made a keg of Lemon Spritzer out of a handful of lemons and I am really happy for you. BK
Bruce...another valuable lesson learned from BMB; "attitude, darlin', attitude."
Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 AM
You still here?

I was thinking she turned lemons into Lemoncello!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

You show far more cout' and cultcha than I, Good Sir.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM

Ritaann?

Well, first off....Bravo!!! Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

Hey, would you happen to have any photos you'd be willing to share of this event? I'm not suggesting the one where you got ill, mind you, but maybe one at the start, maybe one of your bike, all set up? Thanks.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Hey, would you happen to have any photos you'd be willing to share of this event? I'm not suggesting the one where you got ill, mind you, but maybe one at the start, maybe one of your bike, all set up? Thanks.
Thanks Kevan. Hope to have a few photos up within a day or two.
Anybody heard how DaveP did?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 AM

We rode back from registration to our hotel with a guy on a Serotta. We start talking and he says he's from the D.C. area. I said, "So who's your fitter, Smiley?" He says "yes". Smiley had told me about his client that was doing PBP and here he was. I asked him if he knew Josh Simonds (TT)? "Oh yeah, he's my coach." Small world we live in, isn't it?
Any reports on how Chris did? The last time I saw him, he was eating and having a beer at the control in Fourges.
RA
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 AM
JRA

I think Dave P. was forced to abandon with Shermer neck

Turns out that approximately 184 of 617 American starters didn't finish, for a DNF rate of 29.8%.

Dave
Old 08-30-2007, 08:13 AM

Yes, I DNF'd at Carhaix with Shermer Neck - couldn't keep my head up to see where I was going. It started about 20k out of Brest, and got really bad by the time I reached the top of Roc T.... I was going to abandon there, but I ran into a Brit who helped me go the last 30k to Carhaix. First we tied my head back with the belt from my reflective sash to my Camelback, when that didn't work really well, I just rode slowly. It's hard going downhill when you can only see the white line directly in front of the bike.

Up until then I was having a good ride, no other problems and I felt really good considering I got only 2 hours of sleep until then, plus a 10 minute nap in a field alomgside the road.

Even with the DNF, it was a great experience. The French people were great and enthusiatic supporters; the control staff were always polite, even when being bombarded by thousands of riders, many who didn't speak a word of French; the food at the controls was plentiful and inexpensive and the lines were not as long as feared; the route was fantastic; the weather could have been better, but even with the rain it wasn't that cold (50s); and I met some great people, and saw some people I haven't seen for a while.

RABikes was a enthusiatic as ever, even when I saw her at Fougeres looking a little haggard, as we all were. Even though dauwhe and I were at the same hotel, and I saw his gorgeous Tournesol as soon as I arrived, we didn't meet until after the ride. He graciously invited me to dinner with some of the New England randonneurs and I had a great time. Thanks Dave. I met Peter B before the ride in the bike room, and ran into him again in Brest - anyone who can ride that long on a fixie is in a different league. Congrats Peter.

Next PBP is in 2011, its already on my calender.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
immuablement

first off congratulations to all who the rode this year!!!

pbp—ouch but i made it. 83 hours of fixed gear riding led to some surprising less ache filled knees but serious puffy painful achilles pain. AWESOME TIMES!!!!

the kids on the side of the road still bring tears and goose bumps just thinkin about them. highfives, flowers, and good tiding from honest hearts can drag your soul up from the dirtiest of muck.

mr kirk—the bike rode like a dream.

the bike (post ride), the ride, the food, the people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kirkpbp.jpg (106.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (107.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (117.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (126.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by glc; 08-30-2007 at 09:25 AM.