Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Administrator

ouch. i probably would have tried a few tricks before shelling out for a new trans, but i get that you're looking for reliability, and at 136k, and not knowing the maint history of the truck, i can get the idea.

hopefully that's actually the problem when all is said and done, and not my theory of the TPS.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:44 PM

I've had TPS replaced on other vehicles, and they did exhibit similar symptoms. Was really hoping that or another sensor would be the culprit. As bad as they said it was behaving, I would think it would do the same with a new transmission when they test it.
Not surprised how this turned out. Been one of those weeks.....
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM

If it was failing internally, there would be metal shavings in the trans pan. Have them pull that and show you before replacing it.

It could be something simple like a shift solenoid. The TPS might not throw a code, but it can be easily checked with a code reader to see if it's functioning properly. O%-100% range should work when the pedal is pushed, not necessarily if the throttle body is opened by hand.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Feel the Force

I have been around more of these trucks than most - we have dozens of them in our snow plow fleet - we have trucks with near 300k on the ODO and they are on the original transmission -

I have personally run 4 trucks with this trans up over 250k - never had a transmission go out -

you may have a lemon - but I am betting its not a transmission failure - as stated below - ask to see the shavings from the pan
Old 07-20-2019, 03:50 PM

They checked it with a code reader and nothing showed up. I might ask about the shavings, that's a good idea.
IF it's something as-yet undetected in the motor, it should still shift erratically with new tranny, and that will start a conversation with them I don't look forward to.
We'll see what happens next week......