Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 06:46 PM
undermyfeat...

Ah, if my poprad was a disc model that might sway the decision.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 AM
undermyfeat...

I noticed that the Specialized Sequoia hasn’t come up as a suggestion. Any reason?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:52 AM

Perhaps I missed this but what does your Poprad weigh? The other suggestions here surely cannot be lighter than it? Gorilla Monsoon is a heavy bike. https://bikepacking.com/bikes/all-ci...onsoon-review/

Size 58 is 29 lbs

Kona Rove is heavier than the Poprad.

Sequoia isn't going to be lighter, either, but if you're a 56 there's one for sale for $900 on tarck..

Last edited by belopsky; 07-05-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:09 AM
undermyfeat...

That’s one of the issues on the pros & cons list. The poprad is a 55 and with cx tires and a triple crankset it weighs in at 22 lbs on the nose. I was looking at the monsoon but also though it was a pretty heady weight. Indeed an awful lot of these bikes that I have looked at seem to be heavy. Black Mountain Cycles MCD is a beautiful bike but the cost including shipping versus the benefit taints it a bit.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:44 AM

I think an issue you are going to have is related to budget. One can build a sub-18 lb disc all-road bike fairly easily these days, but not for $2K. I was at a LBS the other day and the stock Santa Cruz Stigmata was unbelievably light. I think it’s a bit over 18 lbs, and with some judicious upgrades, could easily get below 18 lbs.

Discs add weight, so the only way to keep the total weight down is to get lighter (i.e., more $$) discs, and shave weight in other areas (i.e., frame, wheels, other components). If the canti brakes are fine for you, you might want to consider a used titanium or aluminum bike with mid-reach brakes. These can be built into 18 lb bikes fairly easily, i.e., without carbon wheels, etc. I suggest used in order to keep the cost within budget. The market for these bikes isn’t as soft as the market for bikes with cantis, but with discs all the rage, they aren’t as popular as they were say 5 years ago.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM
undermyfeat...

Initially weight wasn’t a big issue for me. I assumed that coming into modern times a new bike (even a steel one) would surely be lighter than a 19 year old steel poprad. Not only was I wrong but I have found several to be heavier by much more than discs would account for. I think the root of this is that many of the companies are trying to put out a do all bike, road, dirt, cx, bikepacking etc. When they try to incorporate all that into a good as well as stylish bike it adds up. I don’t mind going a little heavier to get into 2019 but I want the big picture end result to be more plus than minus. That MCD looks like the real deal and people on here who have Black Mountain bikes seem to like them. It’s already over my planned budget though plus an additional 150 for shipping.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Options

I am going to jump in here and recommend another bike to look at that I think is a great option but for some reason is mostly overlooked.

Check out the Jamis Renegade line, specifically the Exploit.
It ticks all the boxes that you are looking for Sram 1x etc... comes in exactly at your price point, only thing you might not like are hydro brakes but like others have already mentioned they sure are nice, or you can sell the hydros and put mechanicals on, and have a few extra $$ in your pocket
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeexploit.html

Last edited by trener1; 07-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM
undermyfeat...

Thanks I will take a look.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:15 PM

The expat version is cheaper and comes in mechanical
Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I will throw in the Marin Gestalt X10. My buddy's shop recently started carrying them, and it seems like a very cleverly designed bike at a reasonable price.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/201...ad-gestalt-x10
I second this ^ the Gestalt is sweet. If I didn't love my Cannondale Slate so much I'd own one of these. The X11 model is right at your top point but hydro. Comes with a dropper post...The X10 model is a great build for the budget though. Room to upgrade wheels at that price.

My LBS carries Kona and their line is super. Great looking bikes and great price points. The aluminum Rove NRB at $1800 comes with 1x and mechanical brakes. Bike can run 650 or 700c. They come in some sweet colorways too.

Also noticed the comment about the Specialized Sequoia...I worked at an S dealer and sold a few (along with a few AWOL's) and they were tanks. Neat bikes but heavy heavy heavy. I test rode one and it felt like a slug
Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 PM

What brakes do you have now? It seems like you're pretty happy with the Poprad outside of braking.

If you're not dying to have a new bike, I'd say get a set TRP CX8.4 on eBay for $70 and be done with it.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Why mechanical discs? For affordability? Hydros are so much better it’s not even a comparison TRP’s are the best of the mechanical disc brakes but still far below hydraulic.
Having ridden both recently I doubt in truly blind test anyone with reasonable hand strength could tell the difference. Hydro's have mechanical advantage in regards to lever force but modulation is equal in the right hands
Old 07-06-2019, 09:29 AM
undermyfeat...

I’m using Cane Creeks now and the braking has not really been an issue. My overall idea was to come into 2019 and current components - discs and a 1x drivetrain being the top two wants. I am starting to see now though that the gains aren’t what I thought they would be overall.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
Having ridden both recently I doubt in truly blind test anyone with reasonable hand strength could tell the difference. Hydro's have mechanical advantage in regards to lever force but modulation is equal in the right hands
I 100% can tell the difference btw hydro and cable, blind, riding backwards. More power again, disagree with modulation. The best thing about hydro is actually the modulation. Power is great but you can easily lock a bikes wheels with cantis and cable discs but cable disc lack modulation, also although better, you will still get hand fatigue on long descents, hydro much less since you can easily brake with 1 finger. Personally I am not a huge fan of cable discs. The only good thing about them is that you can spend less than a few hundred bucks and use the components you already have. Appart from that, they don't brake that much better than cantis, they are heavy and have all the negative things from disc brakes.

I bet someone already mentioned it but what about one of those sweet disc black mountain cycles?

And as far as weight goes, your poprad will be lighter than a lot of these bikes but being canti that is the reason, the disc poprad will probably weight 2 more lbs than your canti. My OPEN is about 18lbs, my Cielo is about 20lbs, they both ride fantastic... The Cielo does not feel heavy at all, on the contrary, I actually feel that its faster than the OPEN. That said, I would not want my bike to weight 30lbs. I had an elephant NFE, loved that bike but I like my OPEN that much more, its just more fun to ride, specially up hills.

If I was to spend $2000 all in I would be on the lookout here for something used, there was a sweet desalvo for not much more than 2k, campy hydro on it too. Otherwise I would save up some and get into a hakka MX or a Stigmata.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Hey Rick, this just came across my inbox and i thought of you. looks like a lot of cool bike for the money.

https://www.cambriabike.com/products...-orso-105-2018