Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 AM
Tired Member

Hawks Rd is that final chop before the pavement?

I did the 180, passing some friends who I didn't know were there. I was in rando mode, so cruised through the course in just under 9 hours. It was very scenic with well stocked aid stations. It was a beautiful ride. One highlight was having a bear run out of the woods in front of us. He looked, saw us, and then hauled ass back into the woods. It wasn't fully grown.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Hawks Rd is that final chop before the pavement?

I did the 180, passing some friends who I didn't know were there. I was in rando mode, so cruised through the course in just under 9 hours. It was very scenic with well stocked aid stations. It was a beautiful ride. One highlight was having a bear run out of the woods in front of us. He looked, saw us, and then hauled ass back into the woods. It wasn't fully grown.
Under 9 hours is really strong. Nice work!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Under 9 hours is really strong. Nice work!
Thanks. I honestly wasn't sure what I was getting into. The organizers err on the side of caution, always. Overall, the technical bits were good. I still need to strengthen my gravel descents, and I held back on the climbs. I had matches to burn at the end, but that's OK. My friends eyes bugged out when they heard that I finished 3 hours ahead of them . It's not a race, though; people can take it at any speed. It was a great day in the saddle.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
I had the opposite day from you on the 100. With the humidity and moisture from the fog in the air, I couldn't breathe all morning. Felt so bad (and didn't have my inhaler with me) that I took the lunch shortcut. Ate a bunch at lunch, had a quick nap on the stump just behind the sandwich tent and headed out.

By then the sun was out and the humidity was way less. Felt great for the rest of the day that I had plenty of energy to bomb down hawks and haul ass the rest of the way to beer. Had a great time overall and loved being able to grind in the afternoon since I didn't have anyone to wait for.
Ha! Isn't that great when you get out of whatever funk you were in? You think you were in for a long day, but then you eat, drink, whatever, and you pop out of it. Great to hear.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:22 PM

My first D2R2 this year. I used to live about 5 miles away from the start and never once rode a bike up there. We rolled the 160k route and it was great. One of the better routes I've done in the states for sure.

I didn't snap a ton of photos, just kinda enjoyed the day/company but here's a couple

Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Nice. Couple of my riding buddies from Portland, Maine did it
Old 08-22-2019, 04:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
Wish I had been able to be there this year. It's great to know that the knight who says "Nee!" is still there. Also is that the covered bridge at the lunch stop? I know they were working on it for a couple of years.

BBD
Funny, when I saw that second to last picture I thought "well, that must be BumbleBeeDave"