Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
it was an email.
It’s also on the blaahg (or at least the same substance is).
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
It’s also on the blaahg (or at least the same substance is).
The newest Blahg has a response of sorts, which should generate 5 more pages on this thread while we wait out the winter. Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 AM

I have been to the store in Walnut Creek. I bought some stuff, though not their core customer. Just went to the website, how strange it is, they list the bikes by how they will be used but no pix, the sub pages show the head badge first. On the Hilborne model, some closeups of the frame, but not complete or even full frame view, Atlantis shows some completes, some models (Appaloosa and Cheviot) have dead links. Sorry to be snide, but are we sure they're in the bike business?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM

The Cheviot link is good. Appaloosa doesn't even show up on the Bicycles & Frames page, it's out of production.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
The newest Blahg has a response of sorts, which should generate 5 more pages on this thread while we wait out the winter. Enjoy!
seems like most people here gravitate towards more performance oriented bikes whereas grant (admittedly) seems to be drifting in the opposite direction.

as the great gordon lightfoot said:

' I dont know where we went wrong
but the feelings gone and i just cant get it back'
Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
seems like most people here gravitate towards more performance oriented bikes whereas grant (admittedly) seems to be drifting in the opposite direction.

as the great gordon lightfoot said:

' I dont know where we went wrong

but the feelings gone and i just cant get it back'

There's a resurgence in steel bikes and Rivendell should be riding that wave. Performance bikes gravitate towards carbon these days.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
The Cheviot link is good. Appaloosa doesn't even show up on the Bicycles & Frames page, it's out of production.
You're kidding? I thought that bike looked great.

I guess the revision to the geometry & production of the Atlantis made for duplication but i think it was designed for Albatross-type bars.

But if they're culling their line-up then they should start with their "Clem" bikes, IMHO.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
You're kidding? I thought that bike looked great.

I guess the revision to the geometry & production of the Atlantis made for duplication but i think it was designed for Albatross-type bars.

But if they're culling their line-up then they should start with their "Clem" bikes, IMHO.
Well, out of production now. Riv does production runs where one model will be dormant for a year while they push a different one.

The Clem is a lower-cost model that seems to be doing well for them, so I don't expect it to be dropped.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:28 PM

I think I found their problem...the rise of the slant parallelogram and the demise Bicycle Guide. They smoke the good stuff at Riv

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/peekin...-early-january

Last edited by peanutgallery; 01-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:14 PM

The 80s And 90s In A 2019 World

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I think I found their problem...the rise of the slant parallelogram and the demise Bicycle Guide. They smoke the good stuff at Riv

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/peekin...-early-january
I read all of that and wow, twenty to thirty years in the past, entrenched in it and not entertaining trying to change. OK.

They are living on hope that they have enough like minded customers to maintain the place. I wish them well but anybody reading that would be hesitant to sink six figures into that operation.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Good to know Paceline is being read, though when the reading of a lengthy and the key takeaway is "we're not going to build carbon bikes." Uh, bruh, nobody was really saying that.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

Last edited by weisan; 01-09-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM

It gets harder and harder to read.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

" I have two jobs at Rivendell. In order of importance to ME, they are:

Keep good people employed. This has changed from my initial “support a family.”
“Create” useful bikes and bike stuff that wouldn’t be made if we weren’t here.

The two are linked, I think. I don’t think we could survive if we went all disc-brake carbon gravel bikes, or made trail bikes of the kind I see all over the hills I ride in. What’s the formula there? Matte black, slash of orange or chartreuse, six-inches of travel, Fox rear shocks, disc brakes, dropper post, click pedals, micro-brew habit. Plus, as the song went, I’d rather drive a truck."
- from their blog thing

dude is clueless. people don't want the bikes he is selling... and that is clear because they keep asking for money. what he also does not get is that he doesnt have to make carbon bikes or half the crap he is talking. Take a look at crust... or the likes... make bikes that are riv inspired but change em up a bit. What is funny is that for a while there was this hole in the industry... everyone wanted something like the elephant NFE... and no one was making it, this went for a good year or 2. You had rawland (which is also a terrible company and failed miserably at making bikes for those 2 years, promising people stuff, ect) and you had elephant (great guys but just could not make enough bikes and ended up with a huge queue)... thats it... I can not believe someone did not come in and take the demand and make bikes people wanted. well crust kind of did, endpoint did.. a bit later but that happened.

now there is still some demand for racks, like the haulin colin style rack... still no one making them... there is opportunity and no one is taking it. A company like rivendell that actually has contacts to make these things and people to sell em to.

And now we are here.... sorry for the ramble but this is kinda ridiculous.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Brifters on a riv? How many demerits that

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Closed Thread